1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

buying a used g1 and have a few quick questionsGeneral

1. blackcobra95

blackcobra95 Member

I found a pretty good deal on one on craigslist and wanted to know what to look out for.
    I know lots of scammers are on craigslist.
    Can the person I buy the phone from go back and have the phone locked claiming it was stolen if I don't get it activated right away?
    Other the obvious screen crack what other hardware details should I check out before I drop down the cash?
    Any responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Advertisement
  2. daleoffret

daleoffret Member

Not to restate the obvious but make sure you have a TMobile SIM card ready to install. It may or may not come with an SD card. When you test the phone, ask to put your Tmobile SIM card in. That way you know the phone at least connects to the Tmobile network. Also, if the seller has a Tmobile SIM in the phone, ask to browse the web. Not a deal breaker but you know the phone was used by someone with a data plan.

The G1 can be used without the $25 - $30 monthly data plan, but it severely limits the phones features unless next to Wifi constantly. Yes the GPS will work but Google Maps can't download any maps.

Take a cell phone savvy friend with you to the sale if possible.

Good luck.
  3. NickPavs

NickPavs New Member

Behind the battery on the left is a liquid damage indicator. It's a small white circle. Verify that the color of this circle is still white and not pink or red, as that would indicate liquid damage and void any warranty. (not to mention possibly having damaged the phone).
  4. EricOx84

EricOx84 Member

Will the sim card out of a sidekick LX 2008 work in the G1?
  5. DarkOwnage

DarkOwnage New Member

I don't believe it will. I personally upgraded from my T-Mobile Side Kick and it wouldn't even let me activate without having the brand new SIM card in.