Buying Android off of ebay

1. cannon11

cannon11 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about buying a android off of ebay, not sure if I will go used or new. But I have a question or two.
    Regarding ESN numbers. If I contact someone for their esn number to make sure it is good, How do I verify it? If they give me the number how do I tell if it is good or not?
    And If in the pictures they have posted, it shows it without the display on, Should I ask them for more pictures with it on, to make sure it works? Or should I be fine? Like, if they say it works, but I get it and it doesn't, can they get in trouble somehow? Or do they have nothing to lose?
    And when people list items as "new", am I really guranteed always that it is new? Like if the box isn't sealed and has been opened before, there isn't really a way to tell if it has been used or not is there, besides scratches and what not? Because I could buy a "like new" for like 50$ cheaper than a new one.

Is there anything else I should be cautious about or ask or anything?
    thanks

Advertisement
  2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

The carrier will be able to tell you if its good or not. Contact them once you get the number.

I personally don't buy a phone from someone else online, because I want it in my hands before deciding if I want it
  3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a Droid 4 off Swappa. So far so good. I felt "safer" using Swappa rather than ebay/Craigslist.
    Swappa has 'staff' that monitor the sales and they verify ESN/MEID's before the phone can be sold.
    Of course nothing is certain but I had a good experience with them.
    Rxpert83 likes this.