Buying Android off of ebay

1. cannon11

cannon11 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about buying a android off of ebay, not sure if I will go used or new. But I have a question or two.
    Regarding ESN numbers. If I contact someone for their esn number to make sure it is good, How do I verify it? If they give me the number how do I tell if it is good or not?
    And If in the pictures they have posted, it shows it without the display on, Should I ask them for more pictures with it on, to make sure it works? Or should I be fine? Like, if they say it works, but I get it and it doesn't, can they get in trouble somehow? Or do they have nothing to lose?
    And when people list items as "new", am I really guranteed always that it is new? Like if the box isn't sealed and has been opened before, there isn't really a way to tell if it has been used or not is there, besides scratches and what not? Because I could buy a "like new" for like 50$ cheaper than a new one.

Is there anything else I should be cautious about or ask or anything?
    thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

The carrier will be able to tell you if its good or not. Contact them once you get the number.

I personally don't buy a phone from someone else online, because I want it in my hands before deciding if I want it
  3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a Droid 4 off Swappa. So far so good. I felt "safer" using Swappa rather than ebay/Craigslist.
    Swappa has 'staff' that monitor the sales and they verify ESN/MEID's before the phone can be sold.
    Of course nothing is certain but I had a good experience with them.
    Rxpert83 likes this.