Buying in the US

Last Updated:

1. origin_of_symmetry

origin_of_symmetry Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm going over to the US in Sept and it's generally known that stuff is cheaper out there than it is here in the UK.

Logistically, could I buy a Desire out there (sim-free) and bring it back here and my only issue be the plug, or do I need to be aware of anything else... ie taxes for bringing it into this country? (Never bought anything like that abroad before so am pretty clueless!)

Looking at finances, I probably won't be buying one now til I return from the US anyway :(, so I figured I could kill two birds with one stone (and maybe get a better deal over there too)

Is it worth the hassle of buying over there or should I just wait and buy one here when I get back?

Advertisement
  2. Anthony1

Anthony1 Well-Known Member

As far as I'm aware the Desire isn't a quad band phone. Meaning that if you bought one in the US (if it's even on sale there yet?) it won't work back here in the UK.

3. lfront

lfront Active Member

I think you just wouldn't have 3g service when you return home. I have an unlocked phone bought from the UK and it works on tmobile here in the US but I don't get 3g.. just edge.

4. lfront

lfront Active Member

Not yet... I've heard August?

5. origin_of_symmetry

origin_of_symmetry Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Oh.... that will certainly scupper my plans! lol

I wasn't aware it wasn't on sale there yet! Nevermind, will just buy one here when I get back, I was only trying to save a few pennies ;)

6. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

As above, US and UK 3g frequencies aren't the same, so I wouldn't buy a US one if I were you.

Also, being wise to this practice, most warranties are only valid in the territory they were originally sold in. So be very careful buying electricals abroad. Savings v warranty isn't a risk I'd take personally