Buying New Micro SD Card? Best deals...

Last Updated:

1. dwattsy21

dwattsy21 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Guys.

I'm just about to buy a new micro sd card for my hero, as i have heard that usin a good class 6 can improve the speed of the phone.

Basically, I've found 2 great deals, not sure which one to go with.

First, 8gb Sandisk "mobile ultra" class 6, 17 quid on amazon

8GB SANDISK MOBILE MICRO SD ULTRA CLASS 6 - CARD ONLY: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Orrrr... 16gb Transcend class 6, 50 quid on amazon

Transcend 16GB MicroSD/SDHC with USB Card Reader: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Does anybody use transcend, is it any good? Is it guna be as good as a sandisk one?

Thoughts please guys,

Cheers, Dave

Advertisement
  2. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

In my opinion, Sandisk is better than Transcend. Generally Sandisk will have better throughput than Transcend, as well as a longer lifespan/build quality.

On the other hand, the new carbon nanotube method of creating flash memory is pretty simple for all the manufacturers, so Transcend really wont be that much of a compromise in terms of build quality.

For the most part, it really comes down to throughput. The Sandisk might reach speeds up to 10mbps while the Transcend might only reach 6mbps as promised by the Class 6 standard.

When I'm buying an SD card, I'm willing to spend an extra couple of dollars for a Sandisk, but if I can save $5 or more by going with Transcend, I'll have no qualms about getting it.

3. crow11ad

crow11ad Well-Known Member

I agree go with sandisk. I currently have a 16 gig in there now. Check out newegg.com or amazon.com for good deals.

4. dwattsy21

dwattsy21 Member This Topic's Starter

Cool cheers guys. It's annoying they dont state the max speed they transfer at. Is the 16gb you have now a class 6 sandisk? Did replacing the bundled memory card speed up your phone?

5. crow11ad

crow11ad Well-Known Member

It's the lowest class, but I believe I got the card for around 40. I haven't installed anything on the card yet. Just keep in mind the more memory the better.

6. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

You can always search the web for reviews comparing microSD cards and benchmarking them. I'm sure there have to be at least some.

7. Bunjiweb

Bunjiweb Well-Known Member

I'd get 2 of the sandisk rather than the transcend myself..... still works out quite a bit cheaper, and swapping them out really isn't a chore.

Ben