• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buying secondhand Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge?

Pinmac1

Android Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2011
UK
Hi, I am thinking of buying a S7 Edge and can't find a new one from a reputable supplier for less that £580. So I'm thinking of buying a secondhand one. Please can anyone tell me how I can tell whether it's a UK model, not an import and whether there is anything specific that I should be looking out for (e.g. I understand that there are 2 different processors?).

Also how does the warranty work? Can you transfer it to a second owner and, if so, how?

Thanks.

Hi, I am thinking of buying a S7 Edge and can't find a new one from a reputable supplier for less that £580. So I'm thinking of buying a secondhand one. Please can anyone tell me how I can tell whether it's a UK model, not an import and whether there is anything specific that I should be looking out for (e.g. I understand that there are 2 different processors?).

Also how does the warranty work? Can you transfer it to a second owner and, if so, how?

Thanks.
Please don't buy a UK edge if it was manufactured in feb. All phones after june working perfectly. I have two of these s7e and i am sending back mine to HONGKONG TODAY

Reactions: mikedt and Pinmac1
Upvote 0

Thanks.

Hi,

I've been looking around too to buy a Samsung Galaxy s7 edge.

Ive opted to buy one from the Samsung Store in my City Centre for £600.

CEX have them from rating 'b' at around £455 as one example. They apply a 24 month warranty on the phone.

My tips for what to check when buying 2nd hand are :

Check its history by using checkmend.

Check the IMEI matches from the box / outer casing to the one in the phone.

Ensure its unlocked to all networks or locked to your network by testing your sim card in it.

Turn on its wifi to check it connects ok.

Take a picture with its rear and front facing camera and look at the results to ensure they are clear pics.

Test the charger in it to make sure it charges.

Check the screen to ensure no damage or water damage is present.

Check the casing for any dings. This could show its been dropped.

Initiate a phone call with someone to test out the microphone to ensure both parties can be heard.

Insert the earphones to ensure they work and the 3.5mm jack is working ok.

Turn down the brightness in the settings as this could highlight any imperfections.

Check the volume rocker switches work ok.

Regarding warranty.

If buying from a 2nd hand shop then specifically ask about what warranty they apply.

If buying privately ask for the paper receipt.

Be aware the 24 month warranty is with the retailer and not specifically Samsung. You could speak with Samsung Uk Support over the phone to get some official clarification on if they would help you if something needed looking at under the warranty.

Regarding the processor I'm not sure if their is an 'about' style setting in the phone that would point out which one it is ? Im not sure if a geek bench test such as an tu tu would highlight it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinmac1
Upvote 0
Thanks, all for your replies.

thatmiserable guy, what is the problem with S7 Edges sold before June?

Bandofbrothers, thanks for the really detailed answer. I hope you're happy with your new S7 Edge? I just can't justify to myself (or OH!) spending £600 for a phone so I am going to need to buy it secondhand. I have looked in my local CEX store and they have an A Grade on 02 for £470 but they have agreed to unlock it for that price. As you say, they offer a 24-month warranty but were vague when I asked about the Samsung warranty. I have bought a phone from them before but not spending this much.

chanchan05, I had been looking at the S7 Edges on sale on this forum specifically where there do seem to be some very reasonable prices but I would be nervous for the reasons you mentioned. At least on Ebay, if you pay through Paypal you are covered if no as described.

Decisions, decisions!

Upvote 0
Thanks, all for your replies.

thatmiserable guy, what is the problem with S7 Edges sold before June?

Bandofbrothers, thanks for the really detailed answer. I hope you're happy with your new S7 Edge? I just can't justify to myself (or OH!) spending £600 for a phone so I am going to need to buy it secondhand. I have looked in my local CEX store and they have an A Grade on 02 for £470 but they have agreed to unlock it for that price. As you say, they offer a 24-month warranty but were vague when I asked about the Samsung warranty. I have bought a phone from them before but not spending this much.

chanchan05, I had been looking at the S7 Edges on sale on this forum specifically where there do seem to be some very reasonable prices but I would be nervous for the reasons you mentioned. At least on Ebay, if you pay through Paypal you are covered if no as described.

Decisions, decisions!

You're very welcome.

These are the guidelines I set myself after having some issues buying an iPhone from CashConvertors.

Regarding the 24 Month Manufacturing Warranty.

A persons 1st port of contact is with the retailer it was purchased from going from sites such as http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/my-mobile-phone-is-faulty-what-can-i-do

My advice would be to speak with Uk Samsung Support.

I sold my iPhone 6 Plus for £300 so wasn't far from the purchase cost from Samsung. I considered CEX as I use them a lot but one of the deciding factors was that if I bought it from the Samsung Shop I have 28 days to have it swapped out if an issue arises and I have the 24 months manufacturing warranty with them.

I agree it's a chunk of cash but on the flip side I use my phones for approximately 2 years so get my monies worth out of them.

I try to keep them in good condition to sell on. I use the £40 Original Samsung Black Leather Case and a Tempered Glass Screen Protector from eBay. Still waiting for the screen protector:(

Top Tip : CEX sell the Samsung Wireless pads for the Samsung Galaxy s6 models at £20. They work just as well with the s7 models. Much better than the £40 Samsung want. :)

If buying from a person privately then two things are a must for me.

1, Paper Reciept.
2, Checkmend search.

If buying from eBay then it's important to fully check out what's covered in their dispute procedures. I haven't checked in a while but I think mobile phones have there own set of rules. Same I think with Paypal. The risk of its imei being locked after a short time in connection to insurance claims for lost or stolen is too much of a dealbreaker for me. Also if it's on Contract some networks restrict the sale of a mobile phone for a set period of time. i.e. The phone legally is still the property of the network until that timeframe has elapsed !

I'm not sure how much weight can be applied to when a phone was manufactured. I note that person is sending their phone back to HongKong. That alone would ring alarm bells from me in regards to importing a phone. I'm not sure if there is a site that a person can input their phones details to find out its manufacturing date ! There maybe an app or short code to input in the phones dialer to invoke a service mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks again. I have just sent an email to Samsung UK re the warranty as I will have it in writing then which is always useful in the event of a claim. I am leaning towards the CEX one if they still have it if I also have the backup of a Samsung warranty as well as the CEX one. I don't think I'd buy from Ebay other than one I am considering from buymobiles. I have bought 2 from them before, they are returns from contracts and my 2 were perfect.

Thanks for the tip re Checkmend as I hadn't heard of them before. Well worth the small outlay. I did happen to see an S6 wireless charger in CEX and wondered if it would be useful to me. I don't work in an office so don't have a desk and my charging pattern is nightly at the side of my bed so I'm not sure that it would be worth it for me? The case and screen protector field looks like a nightmare. I have been using the S View case on my Note 3 but the one for the S7 Edge doesn't seem to protect the corners very well so I'm looking around.

I'm probably overthinking this now but am wondering about waiting for a couple of weeks to see if more S7s become available at a good price after the iPhone 7 is released on Friday.

Upvote 0
Please don't buy a UK edge if it was manufactured in feb. All phones after june working perfectly. I have two of these s7e and i am sending back mine to HONGKONG TODAY
Hong Kong? Where actually are you. Did you grey import them or something. I'm in China, and I don't have to send Samsungs to HK.

FWIW Note 7s in Hong Kong and mainland haven't exploded and are not recalled.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks again. I have just sent an email to Samsung UK re the warranty as I will have it in writing then which is always useful in the event of a claim. I am leaning towards the CEX one if they still have it if I also have the backup of a Samsung warranty as well as the CEX one. I don't think I'd buy from Ebay other than one I am considering from buymobiles. I have bought 2 from them before, they are returns from contracts and my 2 were perfect.

Thanks for the tip re Checkmend as I hadn't heard of them before. Well worth the small outlay. I did happen to see an S6 wireless charger in CEX and wondered if it would be useful to me. I don't work in an office so don't have a desk and my charging pattern is nightly at the side of my bed so I'm not sure that it would be worth it for me? The case and screen protector field looks like a nightmare. I have been using the S View case on my Note 3 but the one for the S7 Edge doesn't seem to protect the corners very well so I'm looking around.

I'm probably overthinking this now but am wondering about waiting for a couple of weeks to see if more S7s become available at a good price after the iPhone 7 is released on Friday.

I just like the idea of not having to insert the charger into the phone. A simple lay it on top and hey presto it charges.

I've been watching the prices of the s7 edge's and they can fluctuate. Up and down.

The black leather Samsung case is the one I'll stick with.

High quality, fits like a glove and very minimal.

I received it yesterday in a box the size a full pizza from the takeaway comes in ! How's that for overkill ?

I've just ordered a second wireless pad and charger - both originals from CEX in White to go upstairs. £26 including delivery.

Happy days.

Upvote 0
I just received the following reply from Samsung:

"When purchasing a second hand phone the warranty will transfer to you for the remaining duration as the warranty period starts when the phone is first purchased. If you would like to find out the exact date that your warranty ends, just contact me again with your serial number to hand and I will be able to tell you."

I'm happy with that except that they didn't say what proof of purchase I needed. I can see the appeal of the wireless charger but am struggling to justify it. The cost of the phone is one thing - then there's case and screen protector on top. At least I won't be buying a spare battery and external charger which I usually do as this one doesn't have a removable battery (not a good thing in my opinion!

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
I would use that offer of help when ready and retain any paperwork, emails sent to support any future claim.

The proof of purchase would be your CEX Reciept.

Believe me I'd be thinking hard about buying the wireless pad if it had to be £40 but I'm happy with £20. It's just a convenience really.

Cases are available online. I purchased a leather look one from eBay for £3 while the Samsung one came. The screen protector was a few pounds too.

I'm used to the non removable battery due to using iPhones for 5 years. At least it's a sealed unit for water resistance.

I bought a SanDisk Ultra 32mb from Argos for £14. Cheapest place for a new one I could find. Saying that CEX sell them. Coming from a 16gb iPhone I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with 64gb !

Regarding the phone you'll love it. I'm still setting mine up.

Upvote 0
For me it's remembering that feature is there ;) I've four panels and live feeds on which scrolls notifications along the edge of the screen.

The display is just perfect !

I was thinking of downloading Nova Launcher but to be honest TouchWizz is fine.

Dark Theme downloaded from the Themes store for £1.50 and it's certainly progressing to how I want it. The amount of customisation that is available is off the chart.

Quick screen shot.
image.png

Upvote 0
Congratulations.

Please do thoroughly check it out. Perhaps use some of my tips I posted earlier.

I was using the iPhone 6 Plus so my sim was already a Nano size.

Check your current sim as some are Multi Sim options where by gently pushing on it the nano size will push out.

If not your network shop will have blank nano SIM cards where they'll be able to process a sim swap for you.

Reactions: Pinmac1 and mikedt
Upvote 0
Just bought a gold S7 Edge from CEX unlocked from Vodafone for £445 which I'm happy with. In as-new condition and Samsung have confirmed warranty from June for 2 years. Frustratingly, I can't use it as a phone yet as my SIM card is too big.
Does that one still have all the Vodafone bloat and customization with it?

I remember at one time Vodafone devices came with a load of Manchester United shit, whether you liked them or not.

Upvote 0
If it's been supplied originally by Vodafone Uk then it will have Vodafones Firmware on it with included bloatware and start up splash screens. If so at least the Op can disable much of it.

I've little knowledge of installing a custom rom so cannot comment on doing so.

I like to buy from Samsung because it's free of all of that and firmwares to an unbranded phone are untouched by the network and in some cases reach the phone faster.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
BandofBrothers, unfortunately my Micro SM card is obstinately solid. I haven't been able to get to a Three store today as I've been busy dropping eldest son at uni but will pop in tomorrow. My unlock code hasn't come through yet from CEX which is a bit annoying so I'm going to have to go there too.

I've been pleasantly surprised at the lack of customisation and bloatware. No splash screen and only a couple of apps one of which I uninstalled. The only remaining evidence of Vodafone is an app called Vodafone Updates which doesn't give any opportunity to uninstall or disable.

Reactions: BandOfBrothers
Upvote 0
BandofBrothers, unfortunately my Micro SM card is obstinately solid. I haven't been able to get to a Three store today as I've been busy dropping eldest son at uni but will pop in tomorrow. My unlock code hasn't come through yet from CEX which is a bit annoying so I'm going to have to go there too.

I've been pleasantly surprised at the lack of customisation and bloatware. No splash screen and only a couple of apps one of which I uninstalled. The only remaining evidence of Vodafone is an app called Vodafone Updates which doesn't give any opportunity to uninstall or disable.
Vodafone Updates... Carrier version devices, it's the carrier who pushes the OTA updates rather than the manufacturer. Which means it might not receive updates unless it's got a Vodafone SIM, and connected to the Vodafone network.

Upvote 0

That's a shame. Most are Multi Sims now which just push out. When you do visit your network store be sure to let them know if your on Payg or Contract as some blank SIM cards are account specific. It should take a few minutes to complete but occasionally can take 24 hours. Service would first stop on the original SIM card. When this happens insert your nano sim in the phone and turn it off and on or toggle airplane mode on and off to help the process.

I've not come across CEX providing an unlock process !

With Vodafone Uk.

The original owner requests the unlock which is free for Payg and Contract Customers.

The criteria is....

Pay Monthly - x3 bills are paid on time.

Payg - The phone is used on Vodafone Uk for 30 days making calls, not to customer service, send texts and use data , top up which latches the phones imei to the Vodafone Account.

It's the same if the phone was bought second hand.

Link - http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly-products-services/Unlocking-your-phone-NUC/td-p/2421880

I'm pretty confident CEX wouldn't be able to circumvent this unless they have access to unlocking codes themselves!

Good to hear there isn't much bloatware on it.

"Vodafone Updates is an app that allows you to keep up to date with the various other apps and advantages that come from Vodafone. It is part of the Vodafone package and is not able to be removed from the phone."

You can't disable it but should be able to force stop it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've been to Three and they tried to cut my Micro SIM to a Nano SIM but made a mess of it. So she gave me a replacement Nano SIM which works fine in an adapter in the Note 3. Annoyingly, CEX had still not received the lock code. I did ask if there was a problem but she said that it was just because they were busy at the weekend and they should definitely have it tomorrow.

I did wonder about not receiving OTA updates from Vodafone but as long as I can download updates manually I'll be OK with that.

Upvote 0
Awesome news.

I bought a spare fast adaptive charger from cex for £4 and a wireless charging pad for £20. Both genuine.

Then I bought a s7 edge fast wireless charger stand for £30 but unfortunately it's a fake. No fast charging and their is no fan inside ! I'm refunding it today and buying one directly from Samsung.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones