Buying the Milestone in the UK (does buymobilephones.net sell it unlocked?)General

Last Updated:

1. cdl

cdl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

I'm about to buy the Milestone in the UK, on a T-Mobile contract. Expansys and mobiles.co.uk confirmed they sell it unlocked, i.e. I can use the Milestone with non-Tmobile sim cards. Buymobilephones.net told me that they sell it locked to Tmobile, which I find weird.

If I'm not mistaken, a while ago someone mentioned buying it from buymobilephones.net unlocked. What's your experience? Can buymobilephones.net lock a handset to Tmobile, if Tmobile doesn't even sell it directly?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. keithmilestone

keithmilestone New Member

Hi, great handset choice just got mine a couple of weeks ago and love it. As far as i know buymobiles handsets are unlocked. I got mine from Mobiles.co.uk so they might be worth a look as mine is unlocked.

3. cdl

I bought it from buymobilephones.net on a Tmobile contract and can confirm it is unlocked and works with non-Tmobile sims. I'll post some more detailed comments in a while

4. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

I am not certain I would want to buy anything from those people.

A friend ordered an HTC Desire on an O2 contract ang when he got it the box was not factory sealed.

He found the charger not working and after a closer inspection it was an old Motorola charger that was completely trashed with wires being visible and lots of dirt in corners.

5. cdl

Sorry for your friend. I don't know how representative my experience, or his, are, but can only confirm that I received the handset the next day and everything was in order.

6. pancrazio

pancrazio New Member

i bought it from expansys and works ok with BT and vodafone. p

7. hef

hef Well-Known Member

this has been covered a million times.
    NO UK MILESTONE IS SOLD SIMLOCKED. THEY ALL CAN BE USED WITH ANY SIM ON ANY NETWORK.

8. craigcrawford1988

craigcrawford1988 Well-Known Member

Don't bother. The bootloader is locked so you will suffer from low clock speeds because you cannot overclock.

9. cdl

PS My only reservation about buymobilephones.net is that they weren't transparent about the fact that they sold me a mobile phone insurance, and there wasn't the option not to buy it, or, if there was, it was very well hidden.

Anyway, as soon as I got the letter in my mailbox informing me about the insurance and my right to cancel, I wrote back straight away to cancel it.

A bit dodgy, but I can live with that if it means getting the best deal on an unlocked Milestone (carphonewarehouse, expansys and all the other retailers I found were more expensive).

10. jamesrich

jamesrich New Member

Does anyone know if this is true of the Milestone 2?

I was looking at getting one from Buymobilephones.net with an 18 month contract from T-Mobile, with the plan of sticking an Orange SIM in there.

Any idea if this is possible?

I can use the T-Mobile SIM in another handset,

11. Szadzik

12. jamesrich

jamesrich New Member

Thanks for the reply.

However they are showing as out of stock on T-Mobile but in stock on Orange. I called up and apparently they phones they have are operator branded this time around.

Whereas before with the Milestone 1, they were just generic.

Not sure if he's filling me with 'bull' or not.

13. Szadzik

There is a difference ebetween buying from a website like dialaphone etc., and buying a phone straight from the carrier, the last thing I would ever do is buy from ORange, they brand their phones heavily.