Buying Used Eris, What to Look for?General

Last Updated:

1. gh0strider

gh0strider Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a Eris off CL and wanted to know some things I need to look for concerning buying a used one. Where are the water indicators located? What should I be looking for?

I am going to have the person meet me at a Verizon store and make sure the phone can be activated on my account before I hand over any money.

TIA

Advertisement
  2. nick_k

nick_k New Member

The water indicator is located under the battery cover directly above the charging port.
    As far as any issues to look out for, as long as the screen isn't scratched past an acceptable level, there aren't many hardware problems that I know of for the Eris.

3. gh0strider

Thanks for the reply Nick. Greatly appreciated

4. smacky

smacky Banned

There's nothing the Eris is known for having faults in term of hardware. It's a solid-built phone. Check for wear and tear. Take a picture with the phone to make sure the camera lens isn't scratched or jarred out of place. Look at the battery. If It's a normal size for a phone battery, fine, but if it's bloated, barely fitting In, then It could be a sign of over charging and could mean a new battery in six months of less or an acidic mess when it blasts.

Make sure trackball works, volume buttons don't require excessive force to push. And for aesthetics, earpiece paint should be black and chrome lining on sides of phone should be in tact. If they start flaming, it'll be on your face and hands so...

5. smacky

smacky Banned

There's nothing the Eris is known for having faults in term of hardware. It's a solid-built phone. Check for wear and tear. Take a picture with the phone to make sure the camera lens isn't scratched or jarred out of place. Look at the battery. If It's a normal size for a phone battery, fine, but if it's bloated, barely fitting In, then It could be a sign of over charging and could mean a new battery in six months of less or an acidic mess when it blasts.

Make sure trackball works, volume buttons don't require excessive force to push. And for aesthetics, earpiece paint should be black and chrome lining on sides of phone should be in tact. If they start flaming, it'll be on your face and hands so...

6. TheProfessional

TheProfessional Well-Known Member

If you want to be able to root the phone, make sure the firmware is still 1.5 and hasn't been upgraded to 2.1 yet.

If you don't know what i'm talking about, or have no desire to root. Ignore what i just said.

7. gh0strider

Thanks for all the replies. Exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, I got stood up tonight, so no new phone for me.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!!

8. esn

esn Well-Known Member

Hope your not paying full retail.

9. smacky

smacky Banned

Yeah, price is a huge thing too. You should be paying a little over $300 at the most.

10. T2noob

T2noob Well-Known Member

Make sure your not buying a black listed phone....

11. TDavis823

TDavis823 New Member

Be very careful!!

Even though you check with Verizon to see if the ESN is clean, the person can still claim it stolen or make an insurance claim after you buy it and activate it. It's happened to me before. My Black Berry Storm 2 worked fine for a month or so then suddenly Verizon shut it off because the person that sold it to me made and insurance claim.

Not all people are like that, but I don't want to have you getting ripped off.

Good luck!

12. gh0strider

I did get somebody off of CL agree to sell me their 2 month old Eris for $200. It has a car charger and a couple cases. I was going to meet him at a Verizon Store to have them activate it on my line to make sure the ESN is good.

Thanks for all the replies