• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bye Bye Eris... Hello...

Status
Not open for further replies.
No animosity, no one felt bashed ...you don't get it, we really don't care what phone you choose to use ... it doesn't effect our lives at all.

The thing is, it did affect some people's lives. Some people felt the Eris sucks because one person didn't like it. Hence the thread reaching three pages in a few hours. People make switches all the time. It's fine. Hopefully the Pre works out for them.

One thing that kinda had me confused was why the Pre? It costs more than the Eris, doesn't have a great camera (regardless of whether you use it or not), the screen is the same size and it costs $200. Or one of the two Palms released today does. Not sure which one. But I was reading the specs and nothing really stuck out for a phone released at this point in time.

No Droid or even a switch to a Blackberry? Just curious. I never used a Palm phone, but my dad did have a Palm pilot way-back-when in 2000 or so. Supposedly the Palm Pre was great on Sprint.

Upvote 0
I broke contract and got rid of my Pre thanks to the rate change on Sprint to get my eris earlier this month.

SOOOOO glad I did.

AMAZING phone, the homebrew support it incredible.

But the battery, with 3 bars and ZERO use, sitting on my desk beside me, would last for MAYBE 10 hours before beeping to be plugged in.

I literally bought a 2nd charger and carried it in my jacket pocket permanently, because I could NOT rely on the battery lasting for CRAP.

According to the VZW guy here (who actually knows his poop) when they did the training on the palm pre for employees, he asked about the battery. The trainer went into evasive mode, so I'd not expect much, if any, better.

Upvote 0
I broke contract and got rid of my Pre thanks to the rate change on Sprint to get my eris earlier this month.

SOOOOO glad I did.

AMAZING phone, the homebrew support it incredible.

But the battery, with 3 bars and ZERO use, sitting on my desk beside me, would last for MAYBE 10 hours before beeping to be plugged in.

I literally bought a 2nd charger and carried it in my jacket pocket permanently, because I could NOT rely on the battery lasting for CRAP.

According to the VZW guy here (who actually knows his poop) when they did the training on the palm pre for employees, he asked about the battery. The trainer went into evasive mode, so I'd not expect much, if any, better.

I think with some minor settings tweaks you'll get tons better battery life. PM me if you're interested.

Upvote 0
I don't know, maybe I am just lucky, but I've had my phone about a month now and it has never frozen on me, stuttered a couple times like it was going to, but never completely locked up.

I have noticed the youtube app will not play half the videos I try to watch for some reason, not real sure why right yet, just recently really started playing with that app.

As for signal loss, well I ahve had problems in the past with verizons service in my area and I don't live exactly in the sticks either, but it has been that way on several phones, not just the Eris. So far my Eris has decent signal strength in the areas I roam.

Is palm still alive? lol with Apple, Microsoft and now Google, I doubt they will be for much longer in all honesty.

Anyway, G'luck with your new phone, just keep in mind, all phones have some kind of glitches, just like all software for your home computer does. There will never be a perfect phone, or perfect OS, or perfect any type of software. At least not in my lifetime, hehe :D

Upvote 0
"Is Palm still alive?"

Heh.. barely, it appears. Their "new" Palm Pre Plus is just the Pre with button cosmetics and not much else, according to reviews.

But those of you saying good-bye to the Eris and going to the iPhone could do us all a favor and continue to post in here about your experiences with that device; I have a kid who can't wait to get rid of her iPhone in favor of either a Motorola Droid or an Eris.

Upvote 0
The newest Palms are nothing like the old ones. They're actually similar in many ways to android... if I understand correctly, starting with a Linux based OS. They sync ota w/ google or yahoo accts, don't even come with a Palm Desktop any more. They have some cool features and I think are going to earn some respect in the smartphone world.

Personally though, android feels like home to me. I've had fun using an Eris for a week to test (my stepfather swore it was defective, and is now happily enjoying my old EnV3), and had absolutely no problems with it. If I ever had to give up my Droid, I'm certain it would only be for a different android phone, given today's technology.

\ Their "new" Palm Pre Plus is just the Pre with button cosmetics and not much else, according to reviews.

The Pre Plus on VZW has double the internal memory and both Palm phones on VZW can be used as a Wi-Fi hotspot... how cool is that?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones