• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

IMUcarmen

Android Expert
Mar 29, 2012
Williamsburg, VA
After 16 months on the spectrum section of AF I'm calling it quits as I have bought a new phone. Business is good for me right now and I had the extra cash to splurge with and found a brand new in the box never opened gs4 for 450 on craigslist so I scooped it up.

Everyone here has been great and of course special thanks to all of the devs who made having the spectrum a lot more fun. It's amazing that such an overlooked phone that never really sold that great became such a bastion of great roms. So MT (where ever you are, keep the faith brother ;] ) tdm, neph81, death2all, playfulgod, az, yoinx, trigger, jcase, andy, and AF and it's users in general...THANKS!!!

PS. I'm not impressed by the s4 and did not buy it because I was goo goo over it. It was either pay 300 for a used dna that came out 8 months ago, or a brand new s4 with the latest tech for 150 more...so I took the ladder. Note 2 wasn't an option for me because of the 720 display. Anyone who knows me here on AF would know that my next phone must have 1080p display :p

PPS. Beta4 on the spec pwns the stock touchwiz s4 :D Even the notification window lags on the s4...it's slight but it's there and annoys me. I just can't wait to get an AOSP based rom on this thing. All the extra features samsung added to the s4 are useless, and the phone definitely experiences moments of lag here and there throughout the user interaction, this highly disappointed me. But I know once I get an AOSP based rom on this thing she should fly like the wind.

Reactions: ortrigger
Hey brother, sorry to see ya go! But it had to happen someday right? I really havent been around much so I didnt see this until today. Doesnt it seem like forever ago we were yucking it up w. D2A and PG in irc waiting for the ICS ota? times have changed huh...lol. Well hope all is well! I believe i will be joining ya in leaving the spec soon, but dont be a stranger.

Reactions: IMUcarmen
Upvote 0
Drop us a note once in a while and let us know how you're getting on. I had my eyes on the S4 but after the research I decided to hold out and see what the Note 3 comes out with. Did you cut the sim from the spec and use it in the s4? I would imagine there are many folks looking for new phones, since the spec is getting up in it's age. Thing bugs me the most is the cheap sensors! Good luck and thank you for all of your helpful posts.

Reactions: IMUcarmen
Upvote 0
I wanted to tell anyone who is thinking of getting the s4 DONT! I hate this phone. It lags so bad all the time and since I took the latest 4.2.2 update as soon as I activated it I am now stuck on stock with no root, no recovery, no roms! :'[ There is several thousand dollars up to whoever figures out how to root it and get recovery with the latest update but it seems to be a tough nut to crack. I had planned on throwing an aosp based rom on this thing as soon as I got it but because I hadn't done any research before buying it I had no idea that taking the update would force me to stay on stock.

All is not lost though because I find out yesterday that verizon is getting the LG G2 in september which is right around the corner so I'll be selling my s4 and getting that :D

Upvote 0
Hey brother, sorry to see ya go! But it had to happen someday right? I really havent been around much so I didnt see this until today. Doesnt it seem like forever ago we were yucking it up w. D2A and PG in irc waiting for the ICS ota? times have changed huh...lol. Well hope all is well! I believe i will be joining ya in leaving the spec soon, but dont be a stranger.

The good ole irc days when me and playfulgod used to disagree about everything, me and you talked about everything, death was busy with women and cm9, neph was in the background working on something, jcase was hiding in the corner waiting for the beep when his name was mentioned, and brandon, like you and I was there waiting to be the first to get a taste of the latest goods pushed out by the devs :p I wonder if those guys ever realised we were just a bunch of freeloaders wanting to be the first to flash the latest roms and such lol.

I'll still be around, just not following or commenting here like before since I don't use the spec anymore. I did hand it down to my mother so it's still getting used.

Upvote 0
Drop us a note once in a while and let us know how you're getting on. I had my eyes on the S4 but after the research I decided to hold out and see what the Note 3 comes out with. Did you cut the sim from the spec and use it in the s4? I would imagine there are many folks looking for new phones, since the spec is getting up in it's age. Thing bugs me the most is the cheap sensors! Good luck and thank you for all of your helpful posts.

After over a week with the s4 I don't like it. The samsung version of android is ugly and laggy. Of course the phone has great hardware so it should be a wonderful phone with an aosp based rom.

I had to get a new sim from verizon which cost me 21 dollars.

As far as sensors go I don't know. My spectrum seemed to work fine in that area. I haven't notice anything better in that area about the s4. One thing I hate about the s4 in that regard is it takes like 3 seconds to rotate. The s4 really is absolute crap on stock.

Upvote 0
I knew s4 is not smoot. I went to Verizon store and tested all new phones with full bars of 4g, after opening photogallery I see the HTC DNA is one smoother. But stock browser in DNA has too many freezes in netflix queues (there are 450 movie list with heavy JavaScripting). Hence I have tablet Samsung Note2 10.1 without freezee in netflix queues. The phone with quad core is not good enough.

Edit: I forgot to add that Blackberry Z10 is good. I can say first place. Second is DNA.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones