• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help BYOD Tethering/Hotspot Issue

m3tro

Lurker
Jan 28, 2016
I have switched from T-Mobile to MetroPCS. Everything's working except Hotspot Tethering. My Laptop is able to connect to the hotspot but it says "No Internet". I've tried setting correct APNs but it either didn't work or I didn't do it right.

My phone is unlocked T-mobile branded SGH-M919 Samsung Galaxy S4.

Any advice?

I have switched from T-Mobile to MetroPCS. Everything's working except Hotspot Tethering. My Laptop is able to connect to the hotspot but it says "No Internet". I've tried setting correct APNs but it either didn't work or I didn't do it right.

My phone is unlocked T-mobile branded SGH-M919 Samsung Galaxy S4.

Any advice?

Most people say on BYOD, you may have trouble with hotspot and MetroPCS service. Call Metro tech support. They have to make sure it is enabled on their end, not automatically done on non-Metro phones.

Upvote 0
Most people say on BYOD, you may have trouble with hotspot and MetroPCS service. Call Metro tech support. They have to make sure it is enabled on their end, not automatically done on non-Metro phones.
I think it is more phone dependent. Hotspot worked automatically and has continued to work without issue for 18+ months for me on two OnePlus Ones and a Moto E. There are a good amount of posts in this forum about hotspot problems with the Nexus 5 and newer Nexus phones. As the OP had it working with TMobile and now has issues, I would lean towards incorrect provisioning or an APN issue.

@m3tro can you post a screenshot of your APN settings?

Upvote 0
Talked to MetroPCS support. They said that I should ask T-Mobile to "unlock my hotspot". My phone has been unlocked already but MPCS support insisted that hotspot needs to be unlocked specifically. I called T-Mobile... and they sent me another general unlock code. Ahh.. the lunacy.

Upvote 0
This is how I got mine to work perfectly.

1) Make a new APN. You can call it MetroPCS or whatever but other than the "Name", it should be an exact copy of your stock Tmobile APN. Every field should be the same.

2) In "APN type", put in " default, mms, supl, dun " of course leaving out the parentheses.

3) Go down to the "Mobile virtual network operator type" and change it to "GID". The "Mobile virtual network operator value" should automatically change to "6d38".

4) Select your newly created APN.

5) Restart your phone and confirm that the correct APN is still selected. It should now work. I have the exact same phone.

I have no idea why there is so little info about this and why no one from the MetroPCS tech support knew about this. After a couple hours on the phone with tech support, they came to the conclusion that I have the rare freak phone that would not tether. I ended up finding the solution right here on this forum.

I must thank bremos812 for that info. Good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is how I got mine to work perfectly.

1) Make a copy of your stock Tmobile APN. You can call it MetroPCS or whatever but make sure every field is exactly the same other than the "Name".

2) In "APN type", put in " default, mms, supl, dun " of course leaving out the parentheses.

3) Go down to the "Mobile virtual network operator type" and change it to "GID". The "Mobile virtual network operator value" should automatically change to "6d38".

4) Select your newly created APN.

5) Restart your phone and confirm that the correct APN is still selected. It should now work. I have the exact same phone.

I have no idea why there is so much confusion about this and why no one from the MetroPCS tech support knew about this. After a couple hours on the phone with tech support, they came to the conclusion that I have the rare freak phone that would not tether. I ended up finding the solution right here on this forum.

I must thank bremos812 for that info. Good luck.

You can see I posted my APN screenshots above. I did all of that and it's still not working. The laptop is able to connect to the hotspot but there's no "Internet".

Upvote 0

That option isnt there. I was browsing around and apparently Windows 10 is an issue, but I have the same issue on Linux Mint. USB Tether works but Wi-Fi never does. I'm also what y'all would call an average user. I can't go jail-breaking or anything fancy

Upvote 0
Here's your answer.
Make sure dev options are enabled. Enable usb debugging. Make sure you have the android dev kit installed on your computer. Plug phone in via usb. Open Terminal window (on mac, I think dos or something on windows) Inside the terminal window type:
adb shell
hit enter
Now, copy this text exactly then hit enter (it's the number zero, not a letter)
settings put global tether_dun_required 0
Now, you should be good. The phone needs the "dun" in the build prop in order to properly tether. This is how you do it.

Reactions: horsecharles
Upvote 0
Ok soyou guys can understand this a lit better. Our wifi.tetethering its been channel by the wifi ip. Which its been repetitive( channel through) the telephony.app as a filter anyways the ip they are using its the tmo ip starting with 172.#.#.# blablabla... That allows them to know whos is and whos not using more data through the wifi app when its not even connected to a wifi hook.. Now if you are rooted or really know how to overwrite or mod ur telephony app. This its whatvyou need to do. Root only... Get whatever app you use i use wifi.tether.router and change your dhcp setting to 192.168.11.___x the last 1'2'3 numbers will be added auto... Save settings and Voilá... You are a __x__

Upvote 0
Example gosting tethering...

Attachments

• 1463628029116.jpg
    1463628029116.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,429
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones