Root Bypass calls, internet only. Possible?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dgruetter, Oct 30, 2010.

1. dgruetter

dgruetter Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I occasionally like to use my Rhapsody application to stream music for coctail parties. The only trouble I have is I'm always afraid my music will get interrupted by a phone call and knock out the song.

IS there a way to turn off calls to have uninterrupted streaming of music without worry of a call coming in?

Advertisement
  2. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Download AnyCut from the market and use it to create a shortcut to the activity labeled "Phone info"

Then, click on that shortcut. About midway down that page you will see a toggle button labeled "turn radio off". (Use it again to turn the radio back on - as I said, it is a toggle.) You can shut off the cell radio completely but still use WiFi.

I'm not sure if this "activity" is present in every ROM; please test this out (including attempting to call your number once you have streaming going) and report back your results here.

eu1

Oops! I see you didn't mention WiFi in the OP; if you were asking "can I use the mobile network for streaming but not receive calls", I do not think that is possible.

dgruetter likes this.
  3. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Red Sox Nation
    If you have access to wifi, you can put the phone in airplane mode and enable wifi.

dgruetter likes this.
  4. dgruetter

Mar 17, 2010
    If I turn the "radio" off will this still let me stream the music with 3g connection or would I have to use wifi?

5. erisuser1

Nov 11, 2009
    Heh. I always do things the hard way, and end up standing in the slowest grocery store aisle, too. :eek: Your way is faster, easier to remember, and produces the same result - good call.

I think you will have to use WiFi. ( Alternatively, see if VZW has a (paid) service for call forwarding. Or what the heck, load music on to your SD card, turn off the radio, and use your phone as an MP3 player. )

Both the above suggested methods ("Radio off" / "Airplaine Mode" + WiFi ) turn the cellular radio off - which kills off both 3G and voice service.

What you are asking for might be technically feasible - for instance, the Verizon "MiFi" hotspot/cellular modem can not receive a voice call, even though it actually has a telephone number assigned to it. (You can send text messages to it, though... which are not 3G).

But, for the Eris, I haven't seen any sort of widgets or other software that allow you to adopt that usage model.

eu1

dgruetter likes this.
  6. dgruetter

Mar 17, 2010
    OK I'll give it a try. Thank you.

7. doogald

doogald  
    Guide

Jan 7, 2010
    I'd think that you can dial *72 and forward calls to another number from a VZW phone. Say, to a Google Voice number, so that it would automatically go to voice mail. (So long as you have the free immediate call forward feature activated on the account, of course.)

[edit - this should still let you run 3G for data; it's at least worth a try.]

8. hdevine

hdevine Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    If you run Tasker, you could try setting up a profile where, when you run that app, it turns off the Mobile Network/3G and turns on your Wifi.

Just a thought,
    Harry

9. erisuser1

Nov 11, 2009
    That will not prevent voice calls, which is what the OP was asking for.

10. dgruetter

Mar 17, 2010
    It's odd that this can't be done with a simple app. Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the forwarding idea although I already have my voicemail being forwarded to my GV and my GV number pointing to my verizon number.

On second thought, maybe I'll just continue to tether my laptop until a better sleeker solution comes along. Thanks for the ideas.