Bypass Gmail: Outlook Contacts into Moto Droid Direct

Last Updated:

1. Quikplay

Quikplay New Member

If this has been covered elsewhere, then I apologize for the duplication.

For those who want to move their personal Microsoft Outlook contacts into the Droid without going through a Google Gmail Account, please see the following. Feel free to correct anything you see that may be in error as you read this.

Initial Steps:
    1. Before beginning the rest of this procedure, you should use Windows Explorer to create a Contacts folder in your Documents directory to house the contact cards that will be created.
    2. Review all your personal contacts that you want to move to the Droid in advance. You want to make sure each contact has a Full Name entry - Droid Contacts use this field for the Given Name entry. Any contacts without a Full Name entry will appear in your Droid Contacts as simply "Call Work" and a number - fairly useless.

Connect your Droid to your PC:

1. Connect the phone to your PC using teh USB Cable included in the original box.
    2. Once drivers are installed on your PC and the connection established, use the Droid screen and drag down the notification area. Select the USB notification, and then select "Mount" to allow the PC access to your SD Card.
    3. When done importing contacts, be sure to use your PC to Stop the connected phone, and use your notification area to UnMount the SD Card before disconnecting the phone. This will ensure all transfered files are properly closed.

Exporting One to All of your Outlook Contacts:

1. Note - this procedure was done on Outlook 2007. Other versions may vary slightly. Open Microsoft Outlook, and navigate to your Contacts folder.
    2. Single-click on the first Contact entry you want to transfer. Use the slider at the bottom of the screen to move to the last Contact you want to transfer. Press and hold the Shift key and single-click that last contact. Outlook will highly all of the contacts between the first and last one selected.
    3. Right-click one of the contacts, and select Send-To, then "As Internet Format (vCard)". Outlook will whiz and whir for a minute while it composes a blank email with all contacts attached as vCards. Once composed, Outlook will display the email.
    4. Once the email is displayed, click the red "X" in the upper right hand corner of the email to close it. Outlook will ask you if you want to save changes - click "Yes". This will cause Outlook to place a copy of its composed email into your Drafts folder. Navigate to your Drafts folder within Outlook.
    5. Single-click the email draft containing all of the attached vCards for your Contacts. Select File - then Save Attachments. Go to the bottom of the list of attachments, and select "Save All Attachments". In the Folder Navigation window that pops up - navigate to the Contacts Folder you created in your initial setup. Hightlight the Folder name, and click OK. All of your Contact vCards are now stored individually in your Contacts Folder.
    6. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder above your Contacts Folder - if created in the Documents folder, then navigate to the Documents folder itself (not to within the Contacts Folder). Right click on the Contacts Folder name, and select Send-To, and then select the removable Drive representing your connected phone. The entire folder and all vCards will be copied to your Droid SD card.

Back on the Droid:
    1. Press the Contacts application.
    2. Press the Menu button, and then Import/Export.
    3. Press Import from SD Card. Droid will then scan and locate all of the vCard files on your SD Card.
    4. Press Import All vCard Files and the OK button.
    5. Droid will then import all of the vCard files, plus any photos representing contacts you had in Outlook into your Contacts application. Before disconnection your phone from your PC - you have the option of using Windows Explorer to move to your SD Card and delete the folder containing all of your vCard files if you prefer.

Happy Phoning!
    QuikPlay

2. pcartier

pcartier New Member

HI, I have a new Motorola Milestone - Droid in the US - and have tried most of the stuff here. Bottom line none of it works. I am coming out of Outlook 2003 ... even bought a "sync" program which turned out to be a dead loss!
    All I want to know now is: can the Android Contacts app function WITHOUT a GMail account

3. Quikplay

Quikplay New Member

When you say you've "tried most of the stuff here" - do you mean in this posting, or on the forum as a whole? As for this posting - which steps didn't work?

As for the Contacts Application - it should work fine as a stand-alone application without a Gmail account - though the full functionality of the phone won't be present without a Gmail account from what I understand. The biggest advantage to having a Gmail account to autosync with is that any contacts added to your Gmail account get synced to your phone. It also (from what I understand) enables an offline backup of your phone data to the Google servers, so that when you move to a new phone - data can be restored to your new phone without having to re-enter it all. Anyway - enough with the sales pitch. Are you able to open the Contacts application, and use the menu button to add a new contact manually?

4. pcartier

pcartier New Member

HI, Thanks for your input. I have tried exporting VCFs from OUtlook and then importing ... also the apps which claim to facililtate a sync. Basically only 3 worth considering: CompanionLInk, The Missing Sync and MyLink (none of the other freebies around do even half the functionality). I bought MYlink for $14 and this worked well on the PC side and rendered OK in its own "client" app on phone but failed when I tried their "copy" fucntion to the native contacts app - could not do large nbrs of contacts ... they are working on afix now - and a Calendar sync - so basically they were not ready or fully tested!
    I really did not want to use GMail, although I have a token account, because in a nutshell I think Google are a bunch of unprincipled crooks the way they deal with other peoples' private data. However, as a temporary stopgap I threw my principles to the winds yesterday, and got my contacts into my Milestone via my token GMail account.I did this in the standard recommended way: exported my contacts as a csv file; then imported that into GMail and finally switched on the sync with my phone to actually see all my Outlook contacts in the native Milestone contacts list for the first time since I bought the phone about 9 days ago. I selected a contact, pushed the "Call" and triggered a dial ... and watched as the "Dialling" dialog showed .... ......and then ... CALL ENDED ... !!!
    In a nutshell the contact could not be dialled!
    The reason was the leading zero in the Outlook area code which gets exported in the csv and then happily on into GMAIL and synced down to the phone..

In the end I had to change the dailing code rules in Control panel in WIndows ... and also manually removed the leading zero from around 550 contacts in my Outlook address book. Then re-exported to csv and up to GMAil and back down to phone and finally it worked ... now have a usuable contacts on my Milestone. I have deleted the COntacts in GMAil and switched off the autosync on the phone and will wait for MYLInk to complete their app.

Needless to say I am more than a lilttle peeved to have to have gone through all this merely for a sync ... but you can read all my rants on this on the Motorola support forums :)

5. Quikplay

Quikplay New Member

Wow - I can see how that would aggrevate anyone. On my end - after a week and a half I decided to return my Droid and ended up switching to a Samsung Moment. None of my instructions above worked for importing contacts into the Moment and I too had to concede to allowing my contacts to be stored on Gmail to get them to sync to my new phone. The Moment doesn't even have an Import/Export option for contacts in the Contacts app menu. Unfortunately, I can't tell yet whether this is an issue with the phone itself, or the fact that the Moment isn't yet up to software version 2.0 yet. When I switched, I was expecting the Moment to operate just like the Droid.

All in all I have to say I'm ok with the Android Operating System - I just wish all of the Droid like phones were working on the same playing field, but unfortunately they're not. Best of luck with your Milestone - hopefully you've seen the worst of the aggrevating aspects and it'll only get better from here!