• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps C++

sleedeane

Android Expert
Jul 6, 2011
Columbia, MO.
I really want to understand Android. Maybe someday even try to develope an app.
Or at least learn about rooting and ROM flashing.
This forum has helped me tremendously, with the basics.
I want to learn from the beginning, like I've never even used an Android before (this is my 7th one; but since I've bricked one-and rooted one- I want to start from the very beginning).
A friend of mine knows a lot about pc's, but absolutely nothing about Android.
Anyway, he brought me a book called "C++ for dummies" to read, thinking this could help me, as C++ is the root of all things computer.
But I don't think this will help me learn Android at all, as I've never heard of C++ in these Android forums.
My question: Should I read this C++ book, or begin with a different "dummy" book, like Java or Linux or Android for beginners or?
I have too much time on my hands (disabled/retired at 40 now I'm 50), and would like to pass my days by with a goal in mind.
I don't think my brain can be taught how to ever develope an app, but I have surprised myself before.
I think I touched on this question before, but I looked through all my previous posts and can't find anything about this, so sorry if I'm asking again.
Thank you very much for your time.
I sincerely appreciate it.

You can program for android using C++ and the native development kit (NDK). Most 3D games use it, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. Java is the best way to go if you are starting out with android.

If you don't mind putting off android for a bit and you are serious about learning to program. Get yourself on the waiting list for a Raspberry Pi. Its cheap phone like hardware designed for teaching programming to absolute beginners. They are also working on producing a load of free training materials. There should also be a huge community of people starting out programming at the same time.

Upvote 0
You can program for android using C++ and the native development kit (NDK). Most 3D games use it, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. Java is the best way to go if you are starting out with android.

If you don't mind putting off android for a bit and you are serious about learning to program. Get yourself on the waiting list for a Raspberry Pi. Its cheap phone like hardware designed for teaching programming to absolute beginners. They are also working on producing a load of free training materials. There should also be a huge community of people starting out programming at the same time.

How would I get on a waiting list like this? Do you have any links to more info?
I would love to get on board with this.
What kind of a time frame do you think we're talking about before this RPi becomes a reality?
I think I'll go google up on this.

Thank you. Great idea.

Upvote 0
I guess you found some info on google by now. But the official site is Raspberry Pi | An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte!. The boards have already started shipping, but they sold about 200,000 in the first couple of days so you are probably looking at a month or two wait for hardware (unless you are happy to pay through the nose on ebay).

They have a free emulator you can use while you wait.

Reactions: sleedeane
Upvote 0
I guess you found some info on google by now. But the official site is Raspberry Pi | An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte!. The boards have already started shipping, but they sold about 200,000 in the first couple of days so you are probably looking at a month or two wait for hardware (unless you are happy to pay through the nose on ebay).

They have a free emulator you can use while you wait.

No, I hadn't made it there yet.
I'm kinda excited about reading up on this tomorrow.
Thank you, GeorgeN

Upvote 0
If you want to learn basics of java for android as well as java game programming go on YouTube type in "mybringback" tutorials are great and they're organised in playlists for example I'm curently learning to male an android app, there's around 40 parts ranging 7-12mins each, they're very detailed, everything we use is Windows compatible and free e.g eclipse, android sdk

Reactions: sleedeane
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones