• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cache Question

BlueDC2

Android Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2010
So I synced up with my computer after uninstalling unused apps and clearing the browser cache and a few others, just general clean up to keep the phone running smooth.
After roaming around my sd card, I came across this. A total of 84 cache files totaling 3.24mb

caches.jpg

What is this from and is it ok to delete them? I'm assuming it is since it is just cache, which you can delete any of theme xcept for google nav (force close issues).

So :thinking:

After some searching around for a little bit, I found my answer. Here's a good heads up for anyone else like me who browses a file manager or sd card to free up that extra valuable space. Taken from Having An Issue With 2.1 - Come In Here - Page 57 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum, post 567:

Caution When Deleting Cached [COLOR=#812528 !important][COLOR=#812528 !important]Android[/COLOR][/COLOR] Data
No way I'm reading through all of those posts but I figured I'd mention in case no one else has...

I was browsing around in Astro to see if there was any cached data or extra folders I could dispose of just for cleanup purposes. Go to /sdcard/Android/data/ and you'll see com.cooliris.media which I never saw before. Digging further in there you'll see a cache folder which has a ton of stuff in it relating to your Gallery content. Normally there is absolutely nothing wrong with deleting cached data but in this case, deleting all of this removes all thumbnails in the Gallery. When you open it up it shows a message about 'Loading new pictures/media' or something to that effect but nothing pops up and it more or less tells you there is no media to display. BWAAAAAH??

Naturally after seeing this my heart sunk a little thinking I'd somehow erased my pictures so I navigated to DCIM/Camera to see everything was still there. I then restarted the phone and all the cached data repopulated itself and all the Gallery thumbnails slowly but surely reloaded. I normally go in and clear the Navigation cache and had no problems but this seems to create a bug.

Just FYI.
smile.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones