• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Calendar default reminder time

jcat

Lurker
May 3, 2010
I hate calendar reminders, almost never use them, and I have my Google calendars set up to default to no reminder when I enter a new event.

But on the Incredible, I can't figure out how to do that. When I enter a new event there is an option to set the reminder as "none" for that event. But under calendar settings, "none" is not listed as one of the options for the default reminder time - there's nothing above 5 minutes on the drop-down list.

Anyone know if there's any way to do this? I just can't believe it's not an option and that I have to manually delete the reminder for every single event I enter into the calendar...

just above (Default reminder time)

under (Set alerts & notifications) there is an (off) option

is that what your looking for?

I don't think so.When I turn off "alerts and notifications," while "Select ringtone" and "Vibrate" both gray out in the options, "Default Reminder Time" doesn't. This suggests that each event I enter will still have the default reminder time (unless I change it) - and even though the device may not signal the reminder time with an alert or notification, the event will show up in my Google calendar with that reminder time, which is not what I want.

I want every event I enter into the calendar to default to no reminder, so I don't have to manually remove the reminder each time I enter an event. I just can't understand why there doesn't seem to be a way to do this.

Upvote 0
On a Desire with V2.1 update 1, changing 'Set Alerts and Notifications' to 'None' does the trick of not adding any reminder to new entries, so that's OK. Unfortunately, it also stops the mobile from notifying you when a real alert is due, which is not very helpful. I did however find that synching to and from Gmail can preserve the reminder settings in most cases. I found that the best way to avoid reminder problems is to only save entries when the reminders are exactly as you want them - saving the entry and then correcting its reminders can confuse the mobile if any synching starts up in the meantime.

I changed the phone's default reminder to 5 minutes, disabled all default reminders in Gmail, created a couple of events in Gmail, and they synched to the mobile with no reminders, so the mobile's default didn't mess up the synched entries. That's what I wanted.

Then I created an event on the mobile with a 5 minute reminder and this synched to Gmail with a 5-minute pop-up, which is what I hoped for. Similarly, I created an event on the mobile and deleted the default reminder, and this synched to Gmail with no reminder.

So I can get events with no default reminder by setting them up in Gmail and synching to the mobile, or create them on the mobile and manually remove the reminder while I create it. Easy enough for now, but just allowing a default reminder of 'None' would be the best solution.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I also do not want to have any reminders associated with all event entries. I don't want to have to manually select none when entering each new event. Under reminder settings, there is no "none" for the default reminder time. Can it be set anywhere else?

I am new to Google calender and Android Incredible. How often does syncing occur between the online calender and the mobile calender?

Upvote 0
This is unbelievable. You're kidding, right? I just got the HTC Hero with 2.1 update 1, and I am shocked that this basic functionality is missing. I was excited about switching from the iPhone, and just in getting used to this hardware/software today it was interesting to find how many steps I have to go through to do common things--not so excited anymore. At least I have 30 days with sprint to walk away. Please someone, tell me this is a bad dream and that I'm missing something obvious...

Upvote 0
Check out an app called Calendar Quick Add. It provides for much quicker adding of events than the stock calendar app and has an option for creating the event without a reminder.

But my favorite aspect of the app is the integrated speech, which provides for speaking to create an event.

It also has an option to create the event title with each word capitalized, which is another feature I really like.

Upvote 0
I'd rather have just one calendar on my phone. And since I use Google calendar on my desktop, I'd prefer to have that also on my HTC Wildfire. I found the same problem re: the reminders, and was quite disappointed that there was no default "No Reminders." Until such time that this is fixed in the OS, what I do is just go to the calendar, choose Agenda view, and manually remove the reminders for the month, a process that I will have to repeat at the start of each month. Quite inconvenient, but what can I do?

On the other hand, there's a sort of work-around to the problem should one choose to address it via Google Calendar on his computer: When creating an event, go to "Edit Event Details" and enter whatever specifics you need for the event. But before saving, click on the "x" found on the same line as "Reminders." That way, you won't get any default 5-minute reminder on your phone. I tried it and it works. I did say "sort of" because with this maneuver, I am unable to create a reminder on Google Calendar on my desktop for let's say, 3 days before the event. jcat did mention that he has set his Google Calendar to "No Reminders" as his default, and yet his 5-minute reminder appears on his Incredible. I wouldn't be able to explain that, though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones