calendar import?Support

Last Updated:

1. dg92104

dg92104 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm using Lightning (part of mosaic's Thunderbird) on my computer and want to export it to my new Fascinate. Can do?

Advertisement
  2. Moonfire

Moonfire Well-Known Member

I've never tried Lightning, so not sure what format it exports to, but you can import some calendars into Google calendar, which in turn can sync with your phone. You can read the help page on it [here].

Edit: And welcome to the forums! Great choice in phone, in my not-biased-whatsoever opinion. >.> Feel free to stick around and ask questions, I learned a lot just from reading through here.

dg92104 likes this.
  3. dg92104

Thanks, Moonfire, I think that'll do the trick. I got the data from Lightning into my Google calendar. Having a problem getting on to Google from my Fascinate but I'm sure I'll get through that hurdle. I'm not used to the tiny keyboard and having trouble with ID & PW. By the way, Lightning exports in .ICS format.

Again, thank you.

4. dg92104

Well, as noted earlier, I got my Lightning calendar data uploaded to Google calendar, but now I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get it from Google to my Fascinate. Google mail knows me on the phone, but when I try to log into Google using my ID & PW it just fails, and I'm wondering if, since Google sees me OK for mail, I even need to log in. I keep looking for something on my way overcrowded Fascinate app screens (can I delete some of those?) for something to just get me to Google non-mail, but no luck so far. Hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

5. dg92104

Whoops! While I wasn't looking, the darned thing just upped and sync'd itself, so please disregard previous post. Thank you Mr. Google.

6. dg92104

Alright, now another newbie question: How do I delete an entry in my calendar? For that matter how does one delete anything on this phone?

7. Moonfire

Moonfire Well-Known Member

Lol, glad the calendar issue figured itself out.

Assuming you mean a calendar entry in the phone, you have a few options (you could also use the Calendar app on a computer). One option is to view an individual event and hit Menu > Delete:

If you want more mass-delete options, you can use the overall views. If you're viewing by Month, going to Menu > Delete brings up all events that month, and you can check mark which ones you want to delete. The same with Week view (delete ones that week), Day view (delete by that day), and Agenda (delete all).

I've learned that one of the best things you can do in an app is hit Menu and see what options pop up. And then probably browse through the various options, especially the Settings menus. You'll often learn of features you didn't know about this way, and make the app more to your taste.

"Anything" is a rather broad word. : P I'll cover a couple though, feel free to ask about more.

For deleting actual files, I believe Samsung did include a File Manager in its preloaded apps, but I've honestly never used it. I chose to use the app Astro (AppBrain is another wonderful app, other than another place to find apps, it can keep a list of the ones you've installed in case you have to factory reset the phone or something). It is free, although it has a Pro paid version. In there, you can tap and hold a file or folder and hit Edit > Delete. Keep in mind that this app only views files on the SD card - to view ones on the phone itself, you must be rooted and use an app like Root Explorer.

Far as deleting apps go, you have a few options. You could use the default Market app, and then go to Menu > Downloads > the app you want to delete > Uninstall. Note that the Downloads screen is also where you can look to see if any need updated.

AppBrain can also delete apps by going to Manage And Sync and hitting the red X next to the apps. Note that it WILL show preloaded apps that cannot be uninstalled, so if you get a message about that, that's what happened.

Another option is to be in your homescreens and go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > the app you want to delete > Uninstall.

However, these options only delete apps that you have installed, they cannot affect the preloaded ones. You will need root if you want to uninstall these - there are topics I can link if you are interested in that route. You may also download a launcher to use instead of TouchWiz - the main two are LauncherPro and ADW - and choose to hide these from the Application list. They won't be uninstalled, they just aren't cluttering up screens.