Calendar keeps force closing on CDMA Hero (picture included)

Last Updated:

1. tcd2004

tcd2004 New Member This Topic's Starter

On my hero, nearly every time I try to create or edit a calendar event, I get the following force close pop up:

[​IMG]

It is getting very aggravating and no matter how many times I do a battery pull, it still happens. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I use a program called spanning sync to sync my mac iCal program with my gmail which in-turn syncs to my hero. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Moving to hero forum :)

3. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Remove the extra app and power cycle the phone. Does the problem still continue?

4. kronberg

kronberg New Member

I had this problem on my Hero a few weeks ago. It went away when I remove all calendar data and let the phone sync itself from my Google Calendar again.

I did this:
    Goto Menu>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications
    Click "Calendar", then "Clear Data"
    Click "Calendar Storage", then "Clear Data"

At the same time, I also removed some calendar entries, so I'm not 100% certain which action fixed the problem, but I suspect it was the clearing of calendar data on the phone.

5. itrackit

itrackit Member

my wife has the same force close problem and it happens periodically, sometimes several times a day. she uses google calendar religiously and has to keep going to manage applications to clear the calendar data. the problem does not go away. help?

6. nyx528

nyx528 Active Member

I'm having the same problem. I've tried clearing the info, restoring old nandroid backups and wiping and starting all over but nothing fixes the problem. In fact, it's gotten worse and now just clicking on the calendar widget causes HTC Sense to reset. I'm at my wits end... Please help!!

7. tcd2004

I ended up doing a factory reset and it seems to have fixed it.

8. jjw14

jjw14 Member

Same problem here, too. Calendar force close just started this weekend. Pops up even when I'm not using the calendar. I thought it was because I installed the Swype keyboard, but I have since uninstalled that and the calendar force close keeps happening.

If I do a factory reset as you said, will I lose all my apps, page configurations, bookmarks, etc? I don't have the time to go back and reconfigure the device from scratch.:(

Many thanks in advance.
    jjw

9. tcd2004

it will wipe out everything. It makes it the same as if you were to pull a brand new one out of the box. Not the ideal solution, but it worked.

10. Robroy

Robroy Member

My HTC Hero was also experiencing a sudden fit of force closing of Calendar. Being a 'newbie' I thought it might be due to my initial fit of installing and uninstalling several applications and widgets (some of uncertain merit). I also lost my GPS ability for at least a day. Having uninstalled most of my apps I discovered the Calendar issue. However, thanks to a previous reply from Kronberg I seem to have cured it with the deletion of Calendar data as described. I also appear to have recovered the GPS! Phone now operating as I would expect.
    Thanks everyone!;)

11. davekaye

davekaye Active Member

I'm also getting the Force Close and I have had my hero for 4 months now. It just started to show up. I have already once done a factory reset and even using MyBackup Pro, it was a pain. So here are my questions. In my Manage Apllications I have two calendars. One says com.android.providers.calendar and the other just says Calendar. Then for Widgets (to install on the screen) I have an HTC widget for Calendar and an Android Widget for calendar. How do these all interplay? Are widgets apps or just an interface to an app? Why do I have two apps for Calendar (I can't uninstall either). It seems to work better using the Android Widget, but that is a two step process (small icon on the screen...click then the full month view). Between all these choice, I'm sure something is garbled. Thanks for any insight.

12. Robroy

Robroy Member

You have two Widgets and one app. The widgets are just an interface to the app. It all depends which you want on your screens - one gives a bit more info on the screen.
    With regard to the force closing problem I can only repeat what I found: Remove any apps that you have recently added (any around the time when you first noticed the problem?). Also, clear the Calendar backup on the phone as per the previous suggestions. Do a restart of the phone. Worked for me but maybe you have a different problem....
    BWs

13. chuhsi

chuhsi Well-Known Member

delete your calendar account from the phone
    delete all data in the application area as described above
    add back calendar account and sync

worked for me this week. i still use my calendar widget fine.

14. davekaye

davekaye Active Member

I wasn't able to delete the calendar from my phone. When I went into settings/applications I had no option to delete the calendar option. But I was able to clear data. I then switch from the HTC Widget to the Android Widget. I think the HTC is better, but since I did this I have no more force close msgs. So it's OK for now. I'm just going to wait for 2.1, and then do a factory re-set and reload all my 68 apps to make sure it's all cleared up. Hopefully then - no more force closes from anything!