1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Calendar Sync sucks!

1. frickingphil

frickingphil Well-Known Member

I'm using Google Calendar and syncing it to my Eris, and for some reason it's damn flaky.

Half the time it works, but then if, say, I delete one event out of a recurring pattern from the phone, com.htc.provider.calendar crashes every time the phone tries to update its calendar!

It will continually do this until I force stop it, reset the calendar storage and re-sync manually from Google's servers.

That, and I've deleted a few events on calendar.google.com and have re-sync'd the phone manually a bunch of times and it won't seem to affect the data on the phone.

I mean, it's nice to not have to pay for push calendar sync (like Apple asks you to with MobileMe), but c'mon Google & HTC. First the YouTube app never works on mobile network, Google Maps won't let you arbitrarily pick a location to map to, and this calendar syncing bs? These are things that should just work on a phone with the Google logo on the back.

Advertisement
  2. Mays24

Mays24 Well-Known Member

I have a lot of the same gripes that you have in regards to Google, however, in my hands Google Calendar has been awesome for me. Not sure why you are having so many issues. I use it constantly with my business and it has never failed me yet. Sorry to hear that.
  3. Kevkelsar

Kevkelsar Well-Known Member

I have not had a single issue with Google Calendar. My wife and I both use it and share calendars, and I've never had a hang up with me or her adding/deleting events from my Eris or our computer.
  4. manderle

manderle Well-Known Member

You might want to try using the calendar from the browser at m.google.com
  5. dhrandy

dhrandy Well-Known Member

Weird, I've had no problems with Google Calender.
  6. frickingphil

Odd. I do have multiple calendars set up in Google Calendar, including one from which I read events that's not on the same google account (but is set up as a shared calendar).

Maybe the complexity has something to do with it.
  7. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

No issues here either. Sharing a calendar with the wife as well as a few others in there and its been solid.
  8. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Ditto on the no problems with me; it's been rock-solid, and I also sync my six calendars down to my Mac as well. Two of my calendars have quite a few weird recurring patterns with some exceptions.
  9. textstev

textstev Well-Known Member

Took a little management for me at first, but really no more hassle than 10 mins of messing with settings or something when I first got it, and now works beautifully. Works very well, on a computer, or editing/add/deleting through the phone.

Try rebooting, clear out your phone.

My phone really never crashes much more than my computer or iPhone did, so I haven't really noticed it haha. Maybe once or twice in the beginning.

My worst experience now is picking up phone calls through google voice. I want the dialer to auto pop the dialer keypad or something idk, annoying to accept calls from people i don't know
  10. bronc

bronc Active Member

are you using any calendar widgets? For a while I had android agenda widget installed and it caused the problem you are talking about. Once I deleted the program my calendar was able to sync without force closing.
  11. frickingphil

Actually yeah, I'm running Android Agenda Widget.

Damn...I can't live without that widget lol. I'll e-mail the dev and let him know it's causing the problem...
  12. bronc

bronc Active Member

yeah, i'm pretty sure it was that program that was causing it. I"d suggest uninstalling it to see if that helps you too. If it works than that's probably the culprit. I too think it's a great widget and keep meaning to email the dev but havent' gotten around to it.
  13. Filipino.Cowboy

Filipino.Cowboy Well-Known Member

Try this. Go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Calendar: Clear Data. This will wipe all calendar data from your phone. Then resync your calendar, and all should be fine. I was having this very same problem and some thread told me to do this. :)
    kslangnc likes this.
  14. frickingphil

^ that's what I did in the original post when I typed "reset the calendar storage."

Thanks, and it does solve the problem temporarily, but it turned out to be the Widget being the root cause of it all.
  15. Filipino.Cowboy

Filipino.Cowboy Well-Known Member

Ah, sorry I misunderstood that part. Glad you got it working though!