Calibrating the compass jacked my phone!!!Support

Last Updated:

1. mahers

mahers Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, so I've never been able to calibrate my compass since day one for some reason, but the easily rotating screens were driving me nuts and getting annoying. I was messing around yesterday, and tried hitting the Calibrate button like 50 times FAST AS HELL and I got the compass to appear! Doing it the normal way didn't do anything, as the phone would just repaint the screen with the fake phone showing you how to rotate it.

After a few rotations, it turned green. I was like, wow, that was easy...until I tested it. My phone now refused to go to landscape at all!! So I tried it again. After another 50 taps, I went throught the same motions, got the red compass folks were complaining about in another thread and tried the solution that worked for some by deleting the market Compass app I got months ago. I went back to settings and...nope, still needs 50 taps and still got a red compass. I did a reboot and a battery pull, and same result. I can no longer get into landscape mode, EVER!!! The only way to get into landscape is if I am playing a game or something, but rotating the phone for web surfing or texting just doesn't work.

I should have stuck with the way it was, too easy is better than never!!!!!!:(

Ideas or suggestions? I do not want to do a factory reset. I am stock 2.2, running LPP.

Advertisement
  2. mxsjw

mxsjw Well-Known Member

You are rooted, yes?

Ti Backup > Backup/Restore > Compass Calibrator 2.2 > Wipe Data
    That might help

Not rooted?

Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All > Compass Calibrator > Clear Data > Clear Cache > Clear Defaults
    That might help

3. mahers

Not rooted. All those "Clear" options you listed are greyed out. :(

Next!

4. mxsjw

mxsjw Well-Known Member

Mine too, but Ti backup works for me as I'm rooted.

Next...
    Do you have "enable auto-rotation" selected in Behavior settings in LPP preferences? no
    Auto-rotate selected in Display settings for the phone? yes

Mine is set up as I noted in red and I'm not having issues.

I'm just throwing stuff out there, tell me to "shut it" if I'm being annoying. :D

mahers likes this.
  5. mahers

Well, my friend...SHUT IT!!;)

That did the trick. YOU DA MAN!! I don't recall ever messing with the setting bolded above, but maybe calibrating the compass reset it or something. I have LPP set to no, as you, but the phone's setting was also off for some reason. Auto-rotate always worked before??

Works great now!!!!!

6. mxsjw

mxsjw Well-Known Member

You owe me a Jameson neat :cool:

7. mahers

I got half a bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold, and a bottle and a half of Chivas Regal, but you can't mail liquor! :eek: Drats!

But seriously, I was so mad and that really made my day! Just knowing you did a good deed for a fellow X owner should be reward enough. :D

8. mxsjw

mxsjw Well-Known Member

I'll think of you when I pour my glass after work. Good day to you sir, good day.

9. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

If I don't have both checked, I get no screen rotation.

10. mahers

Correct. Somehow I lost the ability to rotate after calibrating the stock compass, but after checking the option in the phone settings, I now can rotate web, texts, etc. Home screen stays portrait because I don't allow auto rotation in LPP.