• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Call and Surfing at the same time possible or not?

Robfactory

Sep 24, 2009
East Coast
So I was reading up somewhere and they said since the Sprint network uses WCMA I can't be on a call and surf the internet at the same time.
Ex. Wife calls and wants directions to a restaurant.
While on the call I Google the Restaurant and get the # for her while doing both things on the phone.
Is this true?

So I was reading up somewhere and they said since the Sprint network uses WCMA I can't be on a call and surf the internet at the same time.
Ex. Wife calls and wants directions to a restaurant.
While on the call I Google the Restaurant and get the # for her while doing both things on the phone.
Is this true?

no you can not use data and be on the phone at the same time

Upvote 0
I think once WiMax is fully implemented we'll have that capability. Then again there are rumors Sprint is now going LTE which will also allow simultaneous voice and data.

Where did you hear that Sprint was switching to LTE?

Sprint | News Release: Sprint 4G Blazes into Amarillo

Shows they are still rolling out WiMax as of yesterday. Granted, I have hear the switch would merely mean a software update to go from WiMax to LTE, but I havent seen or heard anything that would say they were.

Upvote 0
There have been rumors on other sites stating if the proposed legislation regarding handsets gets approved Sprint will move over to LTE.

The proposed legislation will allow you to take your handset to any carrier if you so choose.

*Sigh* Now I have to go look this up as I had not heard about any proposed legislation. Maybe I just missed it.

Upvote 0
It was all over the news again about 2 months ago and it had the backing of the FCC. The cell carriers are fighting it.

The FCC spokesperson stated that consumers buy their phones so they should be able to take them to any carrier they wish, just as you can use any landline phone you wish to purchase with any landline carrier.

It's phone deregulation all over again. Hopefully they get it right this time. One of the fears among consumers is that the carriers will stop subsidizing handsets.

Upvote 0
It was all over the news again about 2 months ago and it had the backing of the FCC. The cell carriers are fighting it.

The FCC spokesperson stated that consumers buy their phones so they should be able to take them to any carrier they wish, just as you can use any landline phone you wish to purchase with any landline carrier.

It's phone deregulation all over again. Hopefully they get it right this time. One of the fears among consumers is that the carriers will stop subsidizing handsets.

Based on this, it sounds more like you are talking about locked phones so they can be used on other networks, and even in other countries, and if not that, then about the exclusivity deals like the one Apple has with AT&T, or even Palm and Sprint.

While I am not against exclusivity deals, I dont think they should ever last more than 6 months. Of course, if those deals didnt exist, carriers would all be on level playing fields and instead of competing for business based on phones, it would come down to the quality of the network. And lets be honest, isnt that what we SHOULD be making decisions on?

Carriers would not stop subsidizing handsets, look at the Razr. You used to be able to get that phone on any network and it was still subsidized.

Upvote 0
I think it's a good idea. You should be able to use your mobile in
any carrier

I'm torn on this one up until the past year I haven't had a need to replace my phone as often as I have. If you count all the 2 replacement Treos, 5 replacement Curves & 4 Tours the purchase of the Hero will make phone number 12 in a little over a year.

If the phone subsidy is taken away it will put a dent in the wallet to replace a phone.

Upvote 0
I think it's a good idea. You should be able to use your mobile in
any carrier

The wording here is a bit ambiguous. While I agree, you should be able to take your phone to other carriers, you shouldnt expect to take a GSM to CDMA and vise versa. Of course Sprint <-> VZ and AT&T <-> T-Mo but even with AT&T to TMo the 3g raidos are different. Those spectrums are carrier specific. You shoudnt need unlock codes to do it though.

I'm torn on this one up until the past year I haven't had a need to replace my phone as often as I have. If you count all the 2 replacement Treos, 5 replacement Curves & 4 Tours the purchase of the Hero will make phone number 12 in a little over a year.

If the phone subsidy is taken away it will put a dent in the wallet to replace a phone.

Why would they take away subsidies? The contracts are where they make up the difference in the subsidies, backed stopped with ETFs.

Upvote 0
The exclusivity deal is under fire also.

While the Razr was available on all carriers you couldn't buy it cheaper from say AT$T and use it on Sprint.

I totally agree on choosing a provider based on service quality first and if it's important to you handset choice if the service quality is equal.

As a Mac user I would love an iPhone but I'm not willing to sacrifice Sprints reliability for the spotty service of AT$T here in Orange County, CA. My friends who are diehard Apple boys stick with AT$T simply because of the iPhone, me I'd prefer being able to use my phone without having to stand in the middle of PCH on one leg, with one arm in the air and my head tilted at a 90 degree angle just to make a call.

Upvote 0
Edaze55 I'm not saying they are going to take away the subsidies. I was stating that the consumer groups and consumers are concerned that this will happen. Personally I don't think it will happen for the exact reason you stated. The carriers really don't make money off the handsets, they're making their money off the contracts.

Take me for example I pay $116 and change after discount for 2 Blackberries with 1500 shared minutes, with the new anytime any mobile I'm lucky if I use 60 minutes a month between both lines. Prior to downgrading I was on the highest share plan available on Sprint and used just under 1500, went with 3,000 just in case I went over 1500.

I can't tell you the number of people (couples, families) on the $99 unlimited plan on multiple phones because in their mind they're getting a deal. How many of those people are using more than 3,000 shared minutes? My guess is not many at all.

Upvote 0
I don't know how that would work considering the different technologies. Maybe sprint phone on verizon or vice versa but using a cdma device on gsm network? How would that work?

And now you know where the rumor of Sprint going to LTE came from. With Verizon going LTE that leaves Sprint as the only CDMA carrier. Me I'd prefer they stay CDMA as CDMA has better building penetration. Why do you think most law enforcement, fire and medical agencies have contracts with Sprint.

Upvote 0
The bad thing about CDDMA is that you can't multitask (phonecall and data). More and more phones are becoming laptop/netbook esque.
With phone processors hitting 1ghz, video capability, and voice tech. it'll be soon when you'd be talking to someone while downloading information while looking up an address.
I personally have been on the phone while looking up an address or phone number for someone. this is something you can't do with sprint.
Verizon made the switch smoothly, so can Sprint.

Upvote 0
Edaze55 I'm not saying they are going to take away the subsidies. I was stating that the consumer groups and consumers are concerned that this will happen. Personally I don't think it will happen for the exact reason you stated. The carriers really don't make money off the handsets, they're making their money off the contracts.

These so called consumer groups are paid BY the wireless carriers to have these opinions. Anyone that actually deals with the facts would clearly see through this.

Carriers might not make money off the handsets, but they are not losing any either.

And now you know where the rumor of Sprint going to LTE came from. With Verizon going LTE that leaves Sprint as the only CDMA carrier. Me I'd prefer they stay CDMA as CDMA has better building penetration. Why do you think most law enforcement, fire and medical agencies have contracts with Sprint.

This makes no sense. Sprint will be WiMax (2010) operable long before VZ gets LTE (2012, 2011 earliest) off the ground. Long before. That does NOT let either carrier off maintaining their CDMA networks. Even after full rollout of LTE and WiMax both will have to support CDMA for years. Im guessing in the neighborhood of 2-5 years after making the switch.

Not everyone is going to run in and get a new 4g handset as soon as possible.

Upvote 0

Carriers might not make money off the handsets, but they are not losing any either.

i wonder about this

cell south offers the hero for $99 - either they're selling at a loss or sprint is making ~$100 per phone

what do you think?

[edit: and they're making a KILLING off of ppl who aren't getting the various discounts!!]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones