Speaker Crackle/Reverb

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
  2. No

18 vote(s)

Last Updated:

1. Optimus Droid

Optimus Droid Well-Known Member

How many Fascinates are suffering from this during calls? I heard it for the first time today and came to the forums and found a few more people who had the same problem. I was just wondering if this is a reason to return it or its a software issue.

During calls sometimes there is crackling or sort of reverbing from the ear piece. It usually happens when you are speaking loudly.

2. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Nope not me, not on the phone itself, nor the speakerphone. I've had an issue once with the BT but thats a different topic
  3. Billy_617

Billy_617 Well-Known Member

i crackle sometimes.. just dont let your finger hit the mic @ the bottom ; thats what causes it
  4. Optimus Droid

Tried that Billy but no difference. It just happens when you speak loudly.
  5. makemehavefun

makemehavefun Well-Known Member

Had 'crackle' my very first call... it was freakin' loud too, but it only lasted for about 3 seconds. Not a single instance since. Experienced reverb/echo once (or twice if memory serves me correctly.

Just to throw this in and I know it's somewhat OT, I've experienced something I've only ever experienced one other time with a cell phone carrier... I got a dropped call. First time was with T-Mobile back in 2004.
  6. burningembers

burningembers Well-Known Member

No crackle for me yet - I'll let you know if it happens though...
  7. Konos

Konos Well-Known Member

In Brief...My first SF had it bad...exchanged it and now is a LOT better with only slight occasional reverb now.

To Digress a bit...
    Took phone in to store on day 2 to test floor model (it did sound better).
    Talked to VZW Tech and asked for exchange. He did a test call and said he couldn't hear/reproduce it (after he criticized me for having the earpiece vol up too high, turned it down low, and tested it at normal speaking voice).
    I clarified that you'd have to speak loudly or be in car (when i usu turn vol up/ talk loud).
    He told me that there were several updates on the way to remedy several of which may be this he wouldn't exchange it and I'd have to wait.
    I asked if he'd listen to floor model and compare...
    He said it didn't matter, he would have to reproduce it on my phone
    At that point I had to leave cause I was getting somewhat upset.

Called VZW customer service that evening who were more than helpful and told me I should've been able to exchange it once for any reason. He also put a note in system to have the restocking fee waived at another store b/c i told him I would not be going back to the first store.

Guess I got lucky the 2nd time, cause if this problem is really common I might have got another phone with the same problem.
  8. makemehavefun

makemehavefun Well-Known Member

I'm done dealing with or otherwise interacting in any capacity with Verizon store employees, 'Corporate' or 'Premium Retailer'.
    I really don't want to sound dramatic but... from the bottom of my heart and I mean this with all sincerity, they can take their B.S. and cavalier-condescending attitude and GTH.

However, the phone reps, from cust. service to the techs over the years have all been really good to great.
  9. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Two things: One, I'm surprised up to this point Im the only one who voted no. Two, I concur that the people in CS at *611 have always been terrific. Cannot say the same for the in-store reps though
  10. Sauk

Sauk Well-Known Member

I have heard it when I speak really loud I guess. Not sure but when I talk at a normal voice I don't hear it.

But with other phones I usually have to speak up when talking, with the SF it seems I don't.
  11. tats_06

tats_06 Well-Known Member

On the incredible, I went to ##778 and changed to ervc-b. Is this possible on fascinate? If yes, has anyone tried it yet..and did it help with crackling?
  12. PaulRivers

PaulRivers Member

Yeah, it's kind of a serious thing I can hear when I talk into the phone at any sort of volume. The sound is just like when I take my camera to a club and try to record video and it gets overwhelmed - it's like the microphone can't handle me talking very loudly into it (and by "loudly" I mean a normal volume while in my car). It was consistently noticeable on a call tonight.

*sigh* Can't anyone make a Droid phone that works well as a phone? I'm really good with the earpiece volume and clarity when I'm not talking into the phone. :-(
  13. Optimus Droid

To be clear on this : what I meant was I hear sort of crackling and interference when I talk into the phone. Its ALMOST like the ear piece speaker was blown for a second or two. Yes?
  14. Optimus Droid

I don't know whether i should get this replaced or wait for the software update.
  15. Optimus Droid

On my way to the store right now. Lets see what I find with other models.
  16. II Kings 9:20

II Kings 9:20 Well-Known Member

I hear it occasionally on my D1 and sometimes my own voice echo through the earpiece but never while on BT.
  17. II Kings 9:20

II Kings 9:20 Well-Known Member

Motorola makes a couple of Droid phones that work well as phones.
  18. namlee78

namlee78 Well-Known Member

I heard crackling sounds today. some call I hear some not. strange...
    If i'm in the office, I don't hear it. However, if I'm out side, i hear all the time....should I really return and change it? Could be solve by update?
  19. Optimus Droid

My new phone has very tiny levels of it but its way better!
  20. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

I do have that issue with mine.
  21. Optimus Droid

Now I have the effing loose volume rocker. Its a little annoying.
  22. PaulRivers

PaulRivers Member

Are you referring to the Droid X, which has a ringtone volume so low you could miss it (according to the reviews)? Or that reboots itself over and over again all day? (from someone I actually know in person who has one). :-(
  23. tats_06

The fascinate that I got has absolutely great call quality. I could almost compare it to X...and definitely much better than my Incredible. ;)
  24. tats_06

Make sure and don't put your finger on or around the microphone at the bottom...if that happens, you will hear crackling. ;)
  25. bugeyeblue

bugeyeblue Well-Known Member

Neither of these statements are true. I work outdoors, and if my X is ringing, there's no way it could be missed (my volume is all the way up for the ringer).
    And my X has never, not once, rebooted unless I turned the phone off myself. Just wanted to clarify these two things are most likely isolated incidents, or problems with that person's particular unit.