• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Call-in-progress screen lost during call - is there no way to recover this?

6StringDave

Aug 3, 2011
I have a problem which has caused chronic embarrassment, and it is caused by the way Verizon has set up my UI management during a voice call. In their great wisdom, they allowed the possibility that this specific UI element (with the red cutoff switch, the speakerphone control and the keypad access) to be escapable without ending the call, but once you are out it's impossible to get back in. If this happens while you are leaving a message, then you cannot end the call when finished. If you are in a phone tree when this happens, you cannot dial extensions, and if you are talking to somebody, you control the speaker as conditions change. In all cases when this happens, you are left with no way of ending your call gracefully! I have found this to be a chronic embarrassment, and I desperately hope there's a solution.

I find myself in this situation fairly often for a variety of reasons. Most recently it has been a rogue app - Mortplayer's handy lockscreen allows me to take a call while I've been listening to audiobooks, but then pops back up while I'm still talking!

Once that in-progress call screen is gone, I can find no way of getting back. I have looked at my entire apps list (yes, under ALL mode in Manage Apps and Tasker) but I have not been able to pin down what controls this screen. Pressing "Phone" again brings you back to the green-button dialer, even while you are still talking to somebody!

Other reasons why this happens are likely to continue being a problem - when I'm talking, I get the impulse to try and google up events while making plans, even though I know you can't until Verizon changes it's network configuration. The same goes with doing calculator actions while discussing numbers, or checking my Contacts cards so that I can relay information, and you should expect to be able to do this on any phone. Because of apparently bad programming, this error is likely to continue plaguing me until Verizon and Android put their heads together and fix it.

This problem has been a serious PIA, and is likely to continue, so I hope that somebody has a solution to fix this. For whatever reason, bad app or user error, that I may end up leaving my call-in-progress screen during a call, there needs to be a way of getting back to it. I'd be most grateful to anyone who can help!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones