• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Call quality concerns

Hey, thats great, Kolio. I hope that gets fixed for ya. See if you can get the gal to confirm that HTC is aware of the call quality issue and has a fix ready to release soon. :D Wishful thinking.....

I'll give an update tomorrow evening @ the latest,as the CSR is returning my call tomorrow afternoon. :adore:

Just some FYI for everyone here:

I originally called the toll-free number given on the HTC website.After speaking w/them,they directed me to call the HTC VIP SERVICE,a number that was on a sticker in the box that the phone came in.Admittedly.I vaguely remembered the sticker & didn't give it much thought until directed by the 1st CSR to call that number for a higher level of assistance.Sure enough,I was talking to a CSR within seconds of dialing & had the ticket submitted within minutes. :tee:

After speaking w/ the HTC VIP SERVICE team again tonight,my ticket has been elevated to a TIER 2 level of care & to expect a reply within 7-10 days,however,should get a response within a couple days,per the CSR.

Be back in this thread as soon as I hear something.

Reactions: toolwarrior
Upvote 0
I originally called the toll-free number given on the HTC website.After speaking w/them,they directed me to call the HTC VIP SERVICE,a number that was on a sticker in the box that the phone came in.

I was curious about this so I went looking in my box and I do not have such a sticker.. what does it look like?
Which variant do you have?

Mine has "Call AT&T at number xxxxxx....."

Anyhow... I was curious about this audio test and I performed it.
I did not hear anything odd and the quality was very good.

The audio quality of whatever sound plays when it tests the top and bottom speaker is not that great and you would think they use a high quality recording instead of some mono low bitrate noise that they use for that test.... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I was curious about this so I went looking in my box and I do not have such a sticker.. what does it look like?
Which variant do you have?

Mine has "Call AT&T at number xxxxxx....."

I'm on T-MOBILE & their variant (purchased via BEST BUY).The sticker is a 2"x2" decal white w/green border & w/the following:

HTC VIP SERVICE
Let us help!
866-913-XXXX

Early Orders direct from:

T-MOBILE > Free car dock :D
AT&T > Free HD Media dongle :D
BEST BUY > Free Sticker & no earbuds :rolleyes:

Reactions: LoyalServant
Upvote 0
I'm on T-MOBILE & their variant (purchased via BEST BUY).The sticker is a 2"x2" decal white w/green border & w/the following:

HTC VIP SERVICE
Let us help!
866-913-XXXX

Early Orders direct from:

T-MOBILE > Free car dock :D
AT&T > Free HD Media dongle :D
BEST BUY > Free Sticker & no earbuds :rolleyes:

Didn't get anything like that.
I did some looking around and it looks like this VIP service is for T-Mobile users.
Interesting...

Upvote 0
This happened to me as well, but beware, for me it was not an issue with the phone. The person who I was speaking to was actually Parselmouth,No doubt a servant of the dark lord. Do be careful of who you talk to.

P.S if you know for a fact that the person you are speaking to is not Parselmouth, it may be a hardware issue with your device.

Upvote 0
Sadly, this is the very issue that I had with my new one. I tried another phone on my carrier (sprint) as well as a new One on another carrier (AT& T) and that hissing was still there. I started a thread about this, as well [threads now merged]. It did not receive much attention so I assumed that it must be me or a rare few.

However, this was not to be the case. Over on the XDA forums there is better coverage of this issue and lots of folks are reporting in on this. What is not clear is if HTC has acknoleged the issue or it is still not confirmed by them. It is a good source of information.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2215718

I plan to monitor this thread for a firmware update and/or a resolution. I returned my One and will not get another until this if fixed.

I hope this helps you. It is frustrating. This I know, for sure.

Upvote 0
I've had my HTC one with Sprint for just over a week now and noticed something. About 1/3 of my calls to friends sound far away. It is almost like the other person is speaking to me through speaker phone or is talking to me through an elevator shaft. I love this phone, but not sure why some of my calls dont sound great through the ear piece. I had the 3VO before this and never had this problem. Is the beats speakers messing with my normal call speaker? My best friend also has the One with Sprint and said his does the exact same for about 30% of his calls. Anyone else experiencing the type sound quality while on calls?

Upvote 0
It's a work in progress.

I was finally able to find someone who has the ONE on T-MOBILE to troubleshoot/duplicate the issues.

Same results,over-amplified/distorted sound quality w/BLUETOOTH on phone calls (BOTH ENDS,w/& w/o BEATS on),audio via streaming/music player is fine.

Also duplicated w/another B/T on my phone.
My B/T works fine on other non-HTC ONE phones.

I've been in touch w/HTC through the entire troubleshooting process,communicating w/the same team members each time,at the entry-level & TIER 2.The engineers are actually troubleshooting as we speak.

Just a guess here,but,perhaps the problem may be a result of a conflict w/T-MOBILE's HD VOICE & HTC's SENSE VOICE.I realize both ends of the phone conversation have to have HD VOICE for it to work,but,all calls are affected.
Anyway,even if this isn't the cause,I thought it was worth mentioning to the HTC VIP SERVICE/TIER 2,etc....

They've been keeping me posted w/o prompting,so,I'm confident they're working on it & I'll post here on a weekly basis or thereabouts w/updates.

Upvote 0
It's a work in progress.

I was finally able to find someone who has the ONE on T-MOBILE to troubleshoot/duplicate the issues.

Same results,over-amplified/distorted sound quality w/BLUETOOTH on phone calls (BOTH ENDS,w/& w/o BEATS on),audio via streaming/music player is fine.

I've been in touch w/HTC through the entire troubleshooting process,communicating w/the same team members each time,at the entry-level & TIER 2.The engineers are actually troubleshooting as we speak.

Just a guess here,but,perhaps the problem may be a result of a conflict w/T-MOBILE's HD VOICE & HTC's SENSE VOICE.I realize both ends of the phone conversation have to have HD VOICE for it to work,but,all calls are affected.
Anyway,even if this isn't the cause,I thought it was worth mentioning to the HTC VIP SERVICE/TIER 2,etc....

They've been keeping me posted w/o prompting,so,I'm confident they're working on it & I'll post here on a weekly basis or thereabouts w/updates.

Hmm seems like our problems are a bit different. I get the hissing, walkie talkie sound in my calls just like tool warrior. Is yours a blue tooth only related problem?

Sprint told me they are working on towers in my area right now so I am unsure if that will fix my problem. I feel like an exchange will provide the same issue so I might be stuck. Tool Warrior, do you have any updates?

Kolio, thanks for the update :)

Upvote 0
I love the blanket we are working on the towers thing... They all use it and it's almost always wrong :rolleyes:

Is this sound different in other areas?
If you went to the other side of town for example?

Honestly I haven't tried it out of town yet. I do know that I don't get any 4g service around here. When I had my evo 3d, I got 4g everywhere. I don't understand what sprint is doing around here in st.louis but j hope they fix it soon.

Upvote 0
Two different forms of 4G

EVO 3D=WIMAX
HTC ONE=LTE

You probably don't have 4G LTE in your area & the ONE isn't equipped to work on WIMAX.

I have the EVO 3D and HTC One. I get so pissed off because Sprint is taking their time to rollout 4G LTE. I can get on WiMax in downtown Sacramento but I live 40 minutes north in a different city. However, I have heard that Sprint is giving 4G LTE to small cities out there but they are too far behind Verizon right now. Haven't heard anything about LTE coming to my city anytime soon.

Upvote 0
Hmm seems like our problems are a bit different. I get the hissing, walkie talkie sound in my calls just like tool warrior. Is yours a blue tooth only related problem?

Sprint told me they are working on towers in my area right now so I am unsure if that will fix my problem. I feel like an exchange will provide the same issue so I might be stuck. Tool Warrior, do you have any updates?

Kolio, thanks for the update :)

Blue_T.... I unfortunately turned my One back in to Sprint. The XDA forum is a bit more active on this issue and I have been monitoring both this thread and theirs to see if an update has corrected the problem. Event the guys with the latest current update are still reporting the issue. One of the more recent posts is back to HTC NOT acknowledging the issue. This is kinda the pattern with HTC. Slow to address an issue, if ever. One piece of info that may help you. My One was on Sprint. I wanted to see if their poor coverage issue was the problem so I went to the local AT&T store where they had a One active in the store that you could make calls on. I called some numbers with automated recordings that I had been previously using to test this hissing that happens when the other side talks. Guess what... the AT&T phone did the same thing. Hope this helps. I will continue to monitor this. I hope they fix it so I can repurchase a One. Otherwise I may have to move on in a couple of months.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I love the blanket we are working on the towers thing... They all use it and it's almost always wrong :rolleyes:

Is this sound different in other areas?
If you went to the other side of town for example?

Loyal, in my case, it did not matter where I went in town - and I did try several areas around town. The hissing was always there.

Upvote 0
Loyal, in my case, it did not matter where I went in town - and I did try several areas around town. The hissing was always there.

We'll keep ya posted on any further developments, or,lack thereof.Who knows,by the time it's figured out,perhaps the rumored HTC T6 will be out.
As you said,you're actually in an enviable position @ this time,having owned/used the ONE & still have your options open for future releases.

Upvote 0
Blue_T.... I unfortunately turned my One back in to Sprint. The XDA forum is a bit more active on this issue and I have been monitoring both this thread and theirs to see if an update has corrected the problem. Event the guys with the latest current update are still reporting the issue. One of the more recent posts is back to HTC NOT acknowledging the issue. This is kinda the pattern with HTC. Slow to address an issue, if ever. One piece of info that may help you. My One was on Sprint. I wanted to see if their poor coverage issue was the problem so I went to the local AT&T store where they had a One active in the store that you could make calls on. I called some numbers with automated recordings that I had been previously using to test this hissing that happens when the other side talks. Guess what... the AT&T phone did the same thing. Hope this helps. I will continue to monitor this. I hope they fix it so I can repurchase a One. Otherwise I may have to move on in a couple of months.

Well I just got off the phone with Sprint. The tech guy was pretty much useless. He said call quality is not one of the known issues for the HTC one. So I told him now it is. He had no troubleshooting other than restart phone and update profile. His only advice was take it into a Sprint store for testing or exchange the phone. I'd like to do am exchange but I'm worried it's going to sound the exact same. Lady in my office says her sprint HTC one works fine. Although I suspect she wouldn't know the difference anyways so I don't pit much faith on her comments. I have 2 days left before the exchange period ends and I have no idea which action to take. I find it very alarming that sprint nor HTC have identified this problem!

Two different forms of 4G

EVO 3D=WIMAX
HTC ONE=LTE

You probably don't have 4G LTE in your area & the ONE isn't equipped to work on WIMAX.

Sprint told me not to expect LTE in St.louis until end of the year. He also said all of the United States will have LTE by end of the year. I highly doubt this as they are moving so slow right now.

Upvote 0
Sprint told me not to expect LTE in St.louis until end of the year. He also said all of the United States will have LTE by end of the year. I highly doubt this as they are moving so slow right now.

Sprint is telling lies, LTE is swimming in St Louis, I get 4g all over the place and in the last month alone my phone is also picking up 4g in places it didnt use to be able too which means Sprint is upgrading LTE pretty fast daily, weekly or whatever.

Upvote 0
Well, I went back to radio shack last night and made an exchange for another HTC one. Guys at the shack had no clue either but suggested I turn the beats off. Anyways, the new phone sounds a hair better. The hissing white noise is still there. My guess is that most of the Ones have it but people just don't pay attention to call quality as much as they should. It's always gonna be noticed by me now. Perhaps it's a combo of the network with the phone not being fluid. I really don't know. I love this phone so much that I'll just keep it despite the call quality. Hopefully a firmware update comes soon.

Upvote 0
While the BEATS indicator may not be present in the notification bar during phone calls,I can hear a difference when toggling BEATS during a call.
As w/everything else,YMMV.

I'm just putting my money on the engineers and software developers from HTC. They are smart enough to know that beats audio should not be on during a phone call. For certain apps and live wallpaper noises it will turn on. Sprint call quality sucks in general even on my EVO 3D. I can't sit here and blame it all on a phone when I know the carrier has fallen behind Verizon & AT&T.

Upvote 0
I have 100% the same problem on Vodafone Germany.
On gsm Its fine but not 3g or LTE there is hiss when other person speaks. Its more noticable when I place a call but when I recieve a call its more or less ok.

I have contacted HTC and they are TOO SURPRISED that there are any kind of Static sound or HISS as for them NOBODY ever reported this. :)

I will give my phone today to exchange with S4. If I cannot avail the main purpose of PHone, i.e to Telephone, whats the use of other CHIC CHIC :)

It's a work in progress.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones