Call quality disappointingSupport

Last Updated:

1. doublestack

doublestack Member This Topic's Starter

Received my Droid Pro today.

I was really hoping this device would be a step up from my Droid Incredible; but, unfortunately, it falls short in the call quality department.

I made at least fifteen calls during my four hour drive up the New York State Thruway (wife was driving). Every single person said I sounded muffled as if I was speaking through a pillow or something. Finally I called my phone from my daughter's cheap Samsung slider and sure enough the Droid Pro's sound quality was horrible.

A very big disappointment especially since my DI had less than par reception and call quality.

I made sure I removed all plastic protective layers. I even tried it left handed to no avail.

The form factor, usability and keyboard are excellent, however.

I am pleasantly surprised with the screen size, fonts, Blur and camera as well.

So unless someone can offer a solution to my problem, the device is going back Monday.

Back to my new wish list.

Pete

Advertisement
  2. pngwyn

pngwyn New Member

Perhaps you got a defective unit?

I have made several phone calls with mine and have had no complaints. Try to exchange and if the new unit still has the same problem do a return and let us know.

Pngwyn

3. TheBoz

TheBoz Member

I also didn't have any issues with call quality. I made several calls yesterday with no issues.

4. RadYOacTiVe

RadYOacTiVe Well-Known Member

Made a few calls yesterday to my wife and she said I sounded fine too.

5. joePILE

joePILE Member

my first few calls were a little iffy, but i havent had any complaints on the other side. pretty decent so far, and i love the phone overall

6. RSAmerica47

RSAmerica47 New Member

My Droid Pro call quality is terrible. It reminds me of the poor sound quality of the Motorola RAZERs. The battery life is a joke, I got 1/2 day out of it. Verizon is sending me a replacement, I hope it's better. I like this PDA over my Blackberry I used for 4 years. It makes the Blackberry seem like an abacus, But the email handling on a Blackberry is much better.

7. doublestack

Would be very interested in hearing about your replacement unit. My replacement should arrive mid-week.

For some reason I am not very hopeful.

8. ravenhawk

ravenhawk New Member

My first few calls were terrible, doesn't seem too bad anymore for some reason, but not great. Have a replacement coming in the mail tomorrow, just in case this one was a lemon.

9. livspop

livspop Well-Known Member

Switched yesterday from the Inc to the DP. Call quality has not been an issue at all. So far, in fact, it's been better than the Inc.

The only thing I'm having trouble getting used to is the diminished screen resolution on the DP. Kind of a bummer, but having the physical keyboard trumps that for me...

10. dcorn

dcorn Well-Known Member

Same thing here. The screen res is the only bad part and the keyboard rocks. I don't think I've made a call on it yet, but I've only had it around 18 hours so far lol.

11. doublestack

Replacement device arrived today. The outgoing call quality is much better; however, the incoming quality is poor. Not any better than my Incredible.

I too miss the high resolution of the DI. DP has a nice keyboard but I am not sure there are any benefits over the DI.

My DI is still dropping calls so I guess I will hang onto the DP for a while.

If Moto made a Pro with a screen resolution similar to the Incredible, I would be happy.

12. ravenhawk

ravenhawk New Member

Got my replacement Pro today too. Call quality is already better than my first one. Just conditioning the battery now.

13. anticipator

anticipator Well-Known Member

Went to a Verizon corporate store and tried the Droid Pro. The voice quality on this phone sucks big time. Ugh! Both from the earspeaker and the person to the person you are talking to. Plus, the screen is very cramped.

14. RadioZero

RadioZero Active Member

mine had some voice cutout issues when using the phone. people could hear me fine, but their voice would cutout from time to time. i did the *228 update then i called it again and did the roaming update. seems to help, maybe it's a placebo effect, i don't know.

love the phone, came from a BB 9650. before that i had the orginal Droid which i hated due to email forwarding with attachments. DP has solved my attachment issues. i can now forward emails with attachments, no problem.

15. flash24

flash24 Well-Known Member

The call quality on mine got better overtime.

16. decapitor

decapitor Member

Call quality is excellent on mine right from the start. I live in Boston, which generally has excellent Verizon coverage, maybe that's why.

17. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Well-Known Member

Haven't had a single complaint about call quality on mine. No dropped calls, no static, probably almost as good as my old bb curve 8330. That was the best phone call quality device ever, but this one is nearly as good.

18. Dr Who

Dr Who Member

No problems with call quality for me - love the Droid. :cool:

19. lalala11

lalala11 Member

I haven't had any problems with call quality, but I'm a little disappointed with the speaker phone. It's not loud at all. With my enV2, I got used to using speaker if I have to answer the phone while I'm driving because I hate earbuds/bluetooth, but I can't do that with this phone.

20. kjjb0204

lalala11 - probably for the best, since talking to people in their car on speakerphone stinks. Your friends will thank you.

I wish the speaker were a bit louder during calls, but for music playback and tones, it seems plenty loud.

21. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

For the people who are having poor call quality, do you see a direct correlation between quality and signal strength? The way I understand CDMA, is that as signal quality decreases, so does the quality of codec utilized. So if in an area of "half-strength", the lower call quality for the codec used at that level, coinciding with the lower bandwidth, will be audible.

FWIW, my first call with the Droid 1, first time on Verizon since the StarTac, was to voice mail, and was made in an area where I was fighting to get 2 bars. It sounded bad...could have been the voice mail system, but I was really disappointed, given that I'm a VoIP engineer, having just come off a project where I helped a client record an automated answering system, and audio quality was a high priority for them. Subsequent calls to various devices were met with varied results.

22. kjjb0204

Not sure about that, but I do know CDMA has better voice quality than GSM, no debates about that.

23. colnago

How so? The 8kbs EVRC codec used in CDMA, is lower than the 12.2kbs for EFR/AMR codecs used in GSM/UMTS. GSM also has more rates to work with, allowing for higher rate codecs to be utilized as signal degrades.

24. kjjb0204

Google coma vs gsm call quality and let me know what you find out.

25. colnago

I found what I posted...8kbs is a "lesser" codec than 12.2kbs. Even with EVRC-B's 13kbs, you get a slight bump in audio, but packet loss becomes an issue. What is it that I'm missing, aside from the fact that my Motorola Q's sound quality on AT&T was better than my Motorola Droid on Verizon? This from a VoIP engineer.