call quality issueGeneral

Last Updated:

1. bluewhite79

bluewhite79 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I bought the wife the Eris for xmas and have had very little problems with it. The biggest issue that I have now is that when I talk to her I can hear a lot of background noise. If she is in the car, you can definitely tell she is in the car - its pretty loud. For the past month she's owned it we haven't had this issue; so this is a new issue.

At first, you could hear the background noise as constant, but as of today, its silent except when she says a word or sentence and then immediately stops when she stops speaking.

Anyone else experience this and is there a setting we should change on the eris?

Advertisement
  2. smittythepig

smittythepig Well-Known Member

not sure but i have an Eris and my wife says that my phone used to be better but now doesn't sound that great and she often has trouble hearing me (though not all the time) and that a big reason is that there seems to be a lot of background noise. so my situation seems to mirror yours. no idea what's going on. but it is strange that for both of us it used to be better but now it's worse.

so are you saying it was much better, then it got worse, and as of today it's good again?

3. bluewhite79

no, it JUST got bad this past week. The background noise while she is in the car is bad - as if there is no noise cancellation at all. But just today I noticed that the background noise is being cancelled at EXCEPT at the exact moment she says a word.

You will hear her say "whats up" but at the same time she says that you hear everything in the background - road noise, kids, whatever. the split second she stops talking its dead silent again.

4. smittythepig

strange. i'll have to test mine and see if it's doing that.

5. smittythepig

so my wife doesn't seem to be hearing the background noise quite as bad today, but the last couple times i've tried to talk to her the reception has been real choppy. even with 3-4 bars of signal. she also tried to call me and i answered and neither of us heard anything. this kind of thing happens a lot as well. like almost daily. getting extremely annoyed with the phone at this point. probably going to have to take it in.

6. bluewhite79

strange nobody else is having this issue. its like noise cancellation doesn't work on her phone.

7. smittythepig

i still haven't had a chance to test this out. i'll try this weekend to have someone else call me with my phone so i can see how it sounds. i think my sound issues are intermittent and not a constant thing. so my situation might possibly be different than yours.

8. smittythepig

so i finally got around to using my wife's phone and having her call me so i could hear what she's hearing. the sound quality coming from the Eris was TERRIBLE. anyone else tried this or asked others how they sounded? it must just be my phone. there was zero sound when she wasn't talking, but similar to what the OP mentioned once she started talking there was a bunch of hissing and static (not horribly loud but it was definitely there) and yet her voice sounded faint. tthen when we tried it in a better signal area the call sounded clearer but it was very loud and electronic-sounding.

hugely disappointing. i hope it's just my phone. i spent money onan Innocase and screen protector for this thing (though i guess the screen protector is a lost cause if i have to replace it). the big problem now is that if i take it in and they replace it, they will probably give me a refurb. unlike most of you i absolutely do not see refurbs as being equal to new phones. i have had several and they all had issues. the biggest being dust under the screens and more and more dust accumulating over time. i don't think they can reseal these things like the factory. they've also had some major hardware issues. torn about what to do. i guess there is a tiny chance they would send me a new one. but i doubt it.

i guess i should try and do a test call from one in the store to see if my wife notices the same thing with that one. then i will know. or a few people could chime in here saying the phone has crappy outgoing quality.

9. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

I just talked to The Missus, Eris to Eris. Sound quality was fine. What the OP describes sounds a lot like speakerphone. Is she using the speakerphone, intentionally or not.

I have no idea how people talk to each other on speakerphone out in public. There is no good speakerphone technology, cell, land line, or otherwise.

10. smittythepig

Definitely not on speaker phone here.

11. smittythepig

ok, so i'm taking mine in tomorrow. this is getting ridiculous. was just talking to my wife again and she starts telling me she can't hear me again and then two seconds later the call drops. i had a full signal. and this happens with regularity. we all know this is probably not a verizon issue as dropped calls are pretty rare. also, two more times today i made calls to her and heard silence after the first ring and had to call back. this phone is f-ed up. hopefully it's just mine but i would swear that the other Eris I had that i returned for locking up had some of the same issues. at this point i'd prefer they give me something else. as much as i love android and have fun playing with the phone, i'm almost tempted to go back to a dumphone that sounds good and can make calls. you don't realize how critical that basic function is until you can't do it anymore. we'll see. maybe they'll give me another one and it will be fine (lord, please don't let it be a refurb).

12. RickenRocker24

RickenRocker24 Member

To improve call performance on the Droid:
    1. Dial ##PROGRAM (7764726)
    2. SEND
    3. Type in code 000000
    4. use code 04 Vocode
    5. choose EVRC-B (for best quality)
    6. Back click to home screen and phone will restart

13. RickenRocker24

RickenRocker24 Member

Ahhh Ingore above post i did few mins ago...thats for the Motorola Droid not the Eris.. Sorry :(

14. mc48

mc48 Well-Known Member

I have noticed many of these things as well. Does anyone know a comparable sequence to RickenRocker's Droid one for the Eris?

15. Droid.eris

Droid.eris Well-Known Member

has anyone had it sound like your talking to a robot and the earphone sounds like its buzzing against the mesh part... would like to know asap. already hard reset because to htc it seems to be a game of how many people they can get to hard restart there phone. oh and HTC Reps. are all dumb A#$ they have not the slightest clue on what they are doing.

16. jamezelle

jamezelle Well-Known Member

it sounds like radio firmware error. hopefully vzw will get this fixed:(