Call quality very sub-par (not signal strength)

1. Hipshot

Hipshot Well-Known Member

Add me to the list of the call quality issues... hopefully the update will correct it.:(
  2. tranceFusion

tranceFusion Well-Known Member

Everyone pretty much sounds muffled on mine.. though they say they can hear me loud and clear..
  3. ShiftLft

ShiftLft Well-Known Member

Specifically what issues are you having with the call quality?
  4. graygranite

graygranite Well-Known Member

My wife and I are also having some call quality issues. I was talking with her tonight and we were having short silent moments or quick garbled sections of speech. We were near our home which has always had a very strong Verizon signal, and our old KRZR's sounded fine around here. We might take them into Verizon as well, but hopefully there will be some type of update to address it.
  5. krispy_mobile

krispy_mobile Well-Known Member

+1
  6. cdd543

cdd543 Well-Known Member

Mine sounds pretty good and much better than my tour which I was always asking the person on the other end to repeat themselves. I prefer gsm voice any day as it is much more natural sounding to me, but the incredible isn't bad.

Ok so after further review and having a conversation in a quiet environment I hear static when the person on the other end speaks. This occurs only while they are talking. I can understand them fine, but there is noticeable static.
  7. alewifebp

alewifebp Well-Known Member

+2. Exactly what was happening to me. In the other thread I just mentioned that I did *228 and the PRL and ERI was updated (I checked the numbers before and they are indeed different). Hopefully this helps, but it is possible that some of us just have some bad hardware and it needs to be changed out. This can potentially happen with ANY phone.
  8. JonnyBadd

JonnyBadd Active Member

UNACCEPTABLE on VZW - if you're CQ is poor / bad take the phone back - that's like having ATT .
  9. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

Thats definately interesting, and goes with what eleazar said where it seems to not have anything to do with the actual signal ( I get far worse signal, and can still talk fine. ) I really couldn't guess what could actually be causing this.

You could try the *#*#4636#*#* trick. If you dial that number, you should get a screen with some menus. Choose phone information, press menu and choose "Select Radio Band" ( This WILL cause the process to stop and ask you to force close it. That's normal as the process has to restart. ) Go down, and change GSM auto (PRL) to CDMA auto (PRL). This is supposed to help with battery issues, as in theory it is mistakenly checking the wrong band by default instead of CDMA...but perhaps this is causing hickups for some people.

Also, remember that number because there is lots of good info in there such as detailed battery information and usage info for the phone. ( Just be very careful in the phone information section. I don't recommend playing with the stuff in there! )
  10. dc006

dc006 Active Member

Yes, this is the exact issue I am having. It was really bad on my first phone. Not as bad, but still bad on my second. I guess I will try a third.

I wonder how many times they will allow me to return it for replacement.

Doug
  11. nuberfin

nuberfin New Member

I'm having the "muffled" issue as well with all of my calls. No complaints on how I sound, so I have a feeling it's a hardware issue specific to my phone. I'm in St Louis, good reception (3-4 bars), it just sounds like people are either mumbling or talking through a pillow. I am an ATT/iphone convert, so I'm a bit disappointed. I bought directly from VZW online, anyone know if I can exchange it at a VZW store or will I have to do it online instead?
  12. owlmatt

owlmatt Well-Known Member

I I am sendng mine back for a replacement tomorrow because of this issue.
  13. sta7ic

sta7ic Well-Known Member

i live in webster and just got the phone today. I just tested in using the land line against my phone and the call quality was superb. I'm not sure what is going on for you guys. I've had nothing but good things with this phone today. Keep us updated
    ShiftLft likes this.
  14. DPDAndroid

DPDAndroid Well-Known Member

Best smart phone so far.....Better than BB Storm & Tour. Bars on this phone appear to be nothing, 99% of the time it shows one or none and reception for data and voice are excellent!

Also, I was one of the people experiencing the reboots, but VZW fixed it as stated. Extremely happy with VZW and The DI!!!!!
  15. anthonykash

anthonykash Member

Call quality sucks. always sounds muffled . Calling VZW online tomorrow to swap for a new phone. this happens on 3 bars or 1 bar. I'm pissed
  16. mobimop

mobimop Well-Known Member

My call quality is great, it was muffled and horrible on my Eris..
  17. cb85215

cb85215 Active Member

Call quality on mine is "OK". Good volume & clarity on my end, but several people tell me that I do not sound as "good" as my BB Storm did. The Storm and 8830 both had very good phone quality.
  18. vajayhawk

vajayhawk New Member

my call quality sucks as well. People cutting in/out when they talk like very short silent periods. I've had to ask people to repeat themselves so many times and I never had that issue with my Dare. Love the phone but this is the main thing a phone should be good at, especially on verizon. I think I might return mine and wait for the next big thing to come out.
  19. srt4b

srt4b Member

My call quality has been horrible. Just bought 3 Phones on a new contract coming over from AT&T. I have only seen 1 bar at most and calls are horrid compared to AT&T. Calls via Google Voice are basically not possible which I use for all calls. Echoes & break up constantly.
  20. Dex

Dex Well-Known Member

My call quality has been pretty good. My bars normally stay pretty well full, too. I have found that both the earpiece and the speakerphone both sound pretty damned good. My Voyager had a horrid speakerphone, but amazing earpiece, so my standards were set high. I have been pleased in both regards. I have no idea how I sound, if they couldn't hear me... I figure that they'd let me know.

If it's broken, send it back. It shouldn't sound like crap, obviously.
  21. mas90guru

mas90guru Well-Known Member

I don't have an Incredible however my Motorola Droid exhibits almost the exact same problem (muffled calling).

I've exchanged several times and now I'm living with it assuming that it's some bizarre combination of cell tower/signal/frequency.

I know that my Motorola Droid definitely has issues in lower signal areas which I can understand. When I've traveled to other regions the call quality doesn't get a lot better. I compare the Droid against my BlackBerry 9700 and Nexus One and there's no comparison.

There's actually a pretty active thread on the Motorola forum talking about some users who've had calling issues with the Droid

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/16215?tstart=30
  22. tranceFusion

tranceFusion Well-Known Member

I thought this phone was going to be amazing in the hardware department, but was worried about dealing with Android.. turns out I love Android, but I don't know if I can live with the bad battery life and crappy call quality..
  23. czm2000

czm2000 Well-Known Member

Hey, I live in Webster, NY too. Small world.
  24. jmacca

jmacca Member

Programmed this morning (*228). PRL was updated from 51827 to 51866. We'll see if anything changes...
  25. ShiftLft

ShiftLft Well-Known Member

Sounds exactly what I'm experiencing. "Garbled" speech and quick moments of silence, just enough to disrupt the conversation.