• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Call Recording in Nexus 5

rabers

Lurker
Jun 10, 2015
hi all,

i have a unrooted Nexus 5 (with android version 5.1.1). and I can't find even a single Call Recording App which works perfectly and record both side of the call and NOT via the speaker.
all apps record conversations ONLY via the microphone.
I've read that this is a known issue.
does someone know if there will be a solution (either from the apps dev side or the android OS side)?

That's too bad. I use CallX on a Droid Turbo under 4.4.4 and think it is great. It is just set to record everything and I go in and delete what I don't want after the fact.

Did you see the following in their description ...

Important notice about Automatic Call Recorder features:
- Due to hardware limitations recording function might not work properly on some devices. It is not malfunction of the application, please do not leave negative reviews and comments. You can also try to fine-tune audio-source on the Automatic Call Recording setup page.
- App may not function if other call recording applications are in use. Please close or delete all other recording apps.

... Thom

Upvote 0
That's too bad. I use CallX on a Droid Turbo under 4.4.4 and think it is great. It is just set to record everything and I go in and delete what I don't want after the fact.

Did you see the following in their description ...

Important notice about Automatic Call Recorder features:
- Due to hardware limitations recording function might not work properly on some devices. It is not malfunction of the application, please do not leave negative reviews and comments. You can also try to fine-tune audio-source on the Automatic Call Recording setup page.
- App may not function if other call recording applications are in use. Please close or delete all other recording apps.

... Thom
as i said i have an UNROOTED Android 5.1.1 on Nexus 5.
no other recording app is installed
i have tried to change the audio quality and it didn't help.
what DID help was to change the audio source to Mic BUT that not what i was looking for.
(BTW, i'm not an android developer but it seems wired to me that there not a single app that can reach the audio data which being transferred by the voice call and also that either Nexus and call recording are that popular, yet, if you wish to record the call you need either to use the speaker or root your device which can affect your warranty)

Upvote 0
I'm not a lawyer.

I believe that the use of the recording is what is controlled and not the act of recording. On the other hand perhaps you are talking about an area that has laws not based on logic.

Recent example ... doctor called and dictated two reference numbers to me while I was sitting in my car (not driving). I wrote them down. When I got home I found that perspiration had made them unreadable. Checking the recording I got the numbers without bothering him.

If I played that recording to anyone or used it in a legal transaction there might be a problem.

(CallX does not have an audible beep throughout the recording.)

... Thom

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I'm not a lawyer.

I believe that the use of the recording is what is controlled and not the act of recording. On the other hand perhaps you are talking about an area that has laws not based on logic.

Recent example ... doctor called and dictated two reference numbers to me while I was sitting in my car (not driving). I wrote them down. When I got home I found that perspiration had made them unreadable. Checking the recording I got the numbers without bothering him.

If I played that recording to anyone or used it in a legal transaction there might be a problem.

(CallX does not have an audible beep throughout the recording.)

... Thom
Well
In my country, its legal to record any call as long as the recorder is a part of the conversation. For that reason I can record any call that's I'm having.

Reactions: funkylogik and Thom
Upvote 0
Really hard to do this with an unrooted Nexus - not so hard for many other phones.

Laws vary widely by jurisdiction, especially in the USA.

New Hampshire has a stricter law than most.

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-and-conversations

In any case, without root - and this is due to how the audio is implemented from the processor up through the drivers on a Nexus - I think that you're stuck.

Reactions: Unforgiven and Thom
Upvote 0
Interesting.

The recordings are just for me and not to be released to anyone else or used to support a legal action.

The problem is that I cannot guarantee that. Worst case ... someone breaks in and steals the recording and publishes it to the world. The other person on the recording with me said something that was irrelevant to me but cortical to his/her business and it was released to the world. He/she then sues me for damages.

I turned the record all option off and deleted existing recordings.

(I grew up working in my father's grocery store ... I can remember when packages converted to "sealed for your protection". Oh well.)

... Thom

Upvote 0
Even though I don't always need to, I ask first, confirm, and then confirm while recording.

Nothing worse than getting some critical call in an airport asking for a contract change.

And then I usually give them a copy of the recording. Everyone gets some protection from miscommunication.

Great business aid for people who can't wait to coordinate in writing first.

Reactions: funkylogik and Thom
Upvote 0
Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Ok when I set it to wav instead of mp3 it seems to record but won't play.
1433974841382.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones