• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Call Rejection Hang ups!

Hi

You're not alone. I have had this phone for a couple of weeks now and I also have this problem. I'm on I4 version and I'm not convinced it's a shielding problem. Mainly because when I get the problem I shutdown the phone, reboot and most of the time (but not always) the problem is gone. So I feel it's buggy firmware and something to do with the dialer program. When ever I get the problem with the call hanging up it also usually coincides with not being able to make calls ie they also terminate within a second or two.

I haven't complained to O2 yet. But will do so...

This problem alone makes the phone unusable for me as it must work reliably for incoming calls.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,
I had same issue, called o2 asked for a replacement, as soon as I got the new one I did a hard reset and it's been nearly a month free of issues, I'm running II4 O2 ROM.
Also I've been testing the battery this weekend starting fully charged from Friday morning at today, Monday I'm still with 38% battery left. Bear in mind that the phone has been used throughout these days, music, call in/out, emails, tube status,emails and some light browsing (GoogleReader mainly).
I'm very happy with this phone guys, my only suggestion would be for you to a hard reset on the device and see how it goes, it did the trick for me.
P.S.
I'm not using TaskKiller or some sort of killerapp on this handset.

Upvote 0
I took jthreads advice regarding doing a reset of the phone and it worked well for two days (the phone wasn't switched off at night). Then yesterday morning it started dropping every incoming call and I could not make any outgoing calls without the call ending almost immediately. Powering the phone down & up resulted in it working ok for another day. So I'm started to think rebooting the phone (or powering down every night is the answer) for me. Anyway I had a response from Samsung .... looks like they recommend upgrading the firmware (to what version I don't know)...

Thankyou for contacting Samsung Electronics UK regarding your i7500 and the recent issue you have experienced.

I am sorry to here that you have been experiencing problems with your new Samsung Galaxy. Any issues with this model are very rare. A firmware update was released shortly after the phone went on sale in the UK and most of the i7500's sold already have this new firmware.

You can arrange a firmware update through one ofour local Samsung authorised service centres. To find the closest one to you go to New URL, click Support and then Service Locations.You should back up anything on the phone you do not wish to lose beforegoing. I suggest that you also phone the service centre before going and take proof of purchase with you. Alternatively you can arrange to postthe phone to us by calling on 08456 726 7864 or to use our online repair service, go to the Support page of our website and select Product Service Request.

------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this has been of some assistance to you. If you do have any
further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us quoting your 210-
reference number.

Kind Regards
Claire

Samsung Electronics UK
Customer Communication Centre
Tel.: 0845 726 7864 (All calls chargedat Local Rate)
Homepage: SAMSUNG United Kingdom - Main

[Product] GT-I7500

Upvote 0
I'm seeing the same hang up problems. Always had them! Initially I though rebooting the phone fixed the problem. It doesn't! I was expecting a call from a delivery company using a call center (so don't provide a caller id). I was phoned 4 times and couldn't pick up the call. Not happy. I was one of the ones who believed in sticking by this phone and seeing what happens but when you can't even use your phone as a phone it is hard to defend. Samsung need to release an update with at least Eclair fixing all the problems soon or there will be a mass exodus regarding this phone. I'm already eyeballing the nexus one developments. Sorry about the whining people. Guess I've just come to term with the fact that what could be a good phone just ain't delivering!

Upvote 0
I'm seeing the same hang up problems. Always had them! Initially I though rebooting the phone fixed the problem. It doesn't! I was expecting a call from a delivery company using a call center (so don't provide a caller id). I was phoned 4 times and couldn't pick up the call. Not happy. I was one of the ones who believed in sticking by this phone and seeing what happens but when you can't even use your phone as a phone it is hard to defend. Samsung need to release an update with at least Eclair fixing all the problems soon or there will be a mass exodus regarding this phone. I'm already eyeballing the nexus one developments. Sorry about the whining people. Guess I've just come to term with the fact that what could be a good phone just ain't delivering!

I think the call hangup issue is a hardware one, I've never experienced it on any firmware.

Upvote 0
I think the call hangup issue is a hardware one, I've never experienced it on any firmware.

Maybe, however, It could also be that this can be a very subtle (but incredibly annoying) bug that is triggered by a certain way of using the phone. Maybe an uninitialised pointer in some program that doesn't have an effect until a certain memory location contains a particular value. My phone has been working ok now for two days, but I can guarantee that within the next day or two it's going to start dropping incoming and outgoing calls.

This complete randomness and also the fact that the phone will work ok for a few days could also be why people are currently sticking with the phone rather than returning it or even complaining to Samsung about it. Certainly for me that's the case.

One other thing about the rebooting, I too have found that on a couple of occasions rebooting the phone once did not fix the problem but rebooting a second time did fix it for at least 24 hrs.

What really concerns me about this problem is that if I ever need to use this phone in an emergency there is a 50/50 chance it will fail. And if that time ever comes and Samsung have shown no attempt to fix this problem or even acknowledge there is a problem then perhaps they might respond when the lawyers come knocking.

Also regarding taking the phone into a Samsung repair shop. My local is near Reading and when I phoned the guy and explained the problem he said..

Does sound like a firmware problem, unfortunately this is a new phone and we don't know a lot about it, but if you could leave it with us for a day we can see what we can do.

(Not really the positive reaction to the problem I was looking for, although he was very nice about it and I'm sure he would do his best, however I want to speak to the guy that is the expert on these phones! (he couldn't even tell me if there was any new firmware was available, in fact I'm fairly sure I know more about this phone than he did).

Still, I'm going to have to jump through the hoops just to see if there is any improvment.

Please Samsung just some acknowledgment that this problem occurs for some people and you are looking into it would be something, rather than the standard corporate speak, damage limitation, every thing is rosy in the Samsung garden reply as above.

Apart from this call hangup problem, I find everything else about this phone works very well and am very impressed with it. However for me this phone MUST work reliably as a phone otherwise I will be returning it to O2 for replacement as complaining to Samsung takes up too much time and I've got other things I should be doing.

One last comment, with my phone I'm starting to see a pattern. As long as I reboot the phone once per day or switch the phone off every night I see the problem far less frequently. Do you reboot or switch off you phone at least once every twenty four hours ? If you do then maybe that's why you haven't seen this problem yet. Try leaving the phone on and keep it charged up and see what you uptime is before you start getting the incoming and outgoing call hangups.

[Intermittent bugs are always the most difficult to solve.]

Upvote 0
Maybe an uninitialised pointer in some program that doesn't have an effect until a certain memory location contains a particular value.

There aren't pointers from the java programmer's perspective IMO, only references, Java does not have raw pointers like C/C++ Java does manipulate objects by reference, and all object variables are references not POINTERS.

The java implementers however are the ones dealing with pointers, eg. via machine virtual RAM pointers, segmented pointers, 64-bit addressing pointers or handles, since the vm and api are implemented in C/C++

Upvote 0
I have had this issue 2 times. Both times were when the phone was on gsm network, not 3g.

The call rejected when i took the phone into my hand.

I'm running I5 with Galaxo 1.1.1

Up until this morning my phone had been working ok for 32 hours, however this morning it would not make outgoing calls (call ended within a second or two). Rebooting would not fix it. Battery state was low (in the yellow) even with the phone plugged into the charger would not make calls. After rebooting would still not make calls. Then I noticed I had left it on WIFI, switched off wifi and then it worked fine. Could it be a combination of low battery and additional battery drain caused by wifi could cause the hangups or again maybe it's just a coincidence. Very strange. Anyway now the battery is fully charged I'm sure it will be fine for the rest of the day even with wifi switched on. Till tomorrow morning that is .... :(

Upvote 0
Up until this morning my phone had been working ok for 32 hours, however this morning it would not make outgoing calls
Then I noticed I had left it on WIFI, switched off wifi and then it worked fine. Could it be a combination of low battery and additional battery drain caused by wifi could cause the hangups

IMHO, it's more likely due to bad shielding mentioned before. Perhaps in your case there is some interference between GSM and WiFi. (?)

Upvote 0
The java implementers however are the ones dealing with pointers, eg. via machine virtual RAM pointers, segmented pointers, 64-bit addressing pointers or handles, since the vm and api are implemented in C/C++

Surely, framework must be written in Java too. Only native libraries, dalvik and, of course, drivers, firmware and kernel are written in C/C++. So, if it is a software problem of a sort steelskin speaks about (which I too doubt) it must be in native code (probably in radio library).

It would be interesting to see a logcat's output when this problem happens. Has anyone done this? Could you post it here please?

Upvote 0
IMHO, it's more likely due to bad shielding mentioned before. Perhaps in your case there is some interference between GSM and WiFi. (?)

Switching off wifi turned out to be just a coincidence, the last two days have been the worst so far. Despite repeated rebooting I could not make any outgoing calls and all incoming calls rang once and went through to voicemail. (Wifi has been switched off and the attery fully charged) Seeing as I'm in the Basingstoke area where the roads were gridlocked due to the snow (and lack of gritting by the council) yesterday when the outgoing calls just end (message says 'call ended') and I have yet to see a network busy message could it be that this phone does not display a network busy message and instead just says call ended ? (I heard the phone networks were a bit overloaded yesterday).

I still don't feel it's a shielding problem, it worked for three days and become vitually unusable for phone use for the next two.

One other symptom is that the dialpad also become unresponsive today. ie the small tab at the bottom that you press to raise the keypad for typing in your voicemail pin. On another occasion the tab was completely missing. This coincided with being unable to make or receive calls. Again rebooting fixed the dialpad but not the incoming/outgoing call ended problem..

I have another Galaxy 7500 which I'm going to use for a week, and if I find that has the same problems then much as I like the other features of the phone I'm going to have to send them back to O2 in exchange for a Nokia as I use this phone for business and can't continue with it's unreliability. A real shame and very annoyed with Samsungs lack of response as regards official updates in the UK for this phone. Probably the last time I will buy a Samsung phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones