call screen goes dark

Last Updated:

1. mike295

mike295 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just got the phone the other day. I have had the eris. I had a big problem with in call the screen goes out and i can not end the call. The screen wont turn on either when i open the slider takes a good minute and half till the screen becomes "awake". Is there a fix for this?

Advertisement
  2. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Do you have any screen protectors on?

3. HiTekRedNek

HiTekRedNek New Member

This is a known issue on certain droids. While there have been a few "fixes" suggested on here and other sites, I have not found an actual solution. If anyone knows of an actual fix I'd love to know it as well.

4. zyklonb

zyklonb New Member

same exact thing happens to mine

5. moriwakis

moriwakis Member

I had that same problem with my Droid. The screen would go black whenever I would make or receive a call outside. It must have somehow been related to the light sensor. Luckily Verizon was able to confirm that my phone was defective and swapped it out with a new one.

6. Joewoowoo

Joewoowoo Well-Known Member

download the app screen on and go into the app and check the dialer this way the phone wont go to sleep while your on a call, Cheek / chin dialing is the reason for the screen going black ,its not a defect !

7. moriwakis

moriwakis Member

My phone was defective. As soon as I would make/receive a call when I was outside it would immediately go black. The lady at Verizon compared her Droid to mine. Hers displayed the call information whereas mine did not. This has nothing to do with the proximity sensor. When this happened the only way to hang up would be to either go indoors or take out the battery.

8. mike295

I think thats what was happening to mine. It was when i was out side. What is the app about not having the phone sleep while using it as a phone? Ohh andno screen protector

9. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that's a prox sensor issue. My wife's droid did that while the phone was in direct sunlight. She returned the phone and got a new one and had no issues.

10. mike295

I am so sick of returning phones. 3 eris' s then they finally sent me the droid. I hate to have to send this one back too

11. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

That's sucks dude. :( But if you have to ...you should. Hopefully you won't need to do 3 exchanges for the Droid either.

12. nanci

nanci New Member

I have exchanged my phone 5 times because of this issue! I hadn't realized that it might only happen when I'm outside.

I am sick of this problem and it is interfering with my work because I can't retrieve voice mail messages when the screen goes dark.

I was thinking about throwing it out the window and getting the Incredible but don't know if that phone has a lot of problems too.

Maybe they will get a fix for it soon. It's a huge problem.:mad: