• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Call sound is too low.

Hello, apologies if wrong forum.

My Samsung Galaxy S4 recently stopped giving out its maximum sound during calls. The other party can hear me quite fine but from my end, I can hear from what it feels like only 10% of the volume.
I do raise the volume to 100% during the call but to no avail.

Here are a couple things I've noticed:

- The volume works as normal for music.
- The volume works as normal when placed on speakerphone; the issue is only while having handset on instead of speaker.
- Safe Mode did not help.

Here are following volume settings:
http://i.imgur.com/JuJUHLJ.png
http://i.imgur.com/hdg6ByI.png

I do have T-Mobile's insurance plan and I am willing to try a factory reset but those two are only last resorts to me.

Any help or advice from tech gurus would be greatly appreciated.

Mine is doing the same thing, and only began within the last week or so. The volume went from having to be turned all the way down for phone calls, to going all the way up and I still can't hear the person on the other end very well. Not even with the loudspeaker.

The only difference between my phone and yours is that mine is rooted with CyanogenMod 11 (Android 4.4.4) on it. I haven't updated the ROM in several weeks so I'm not sure what is causing the problem.

I'm with Straight Talk using AT&T towers.

Here's a screenie;
Screenshot_2014-10-08-17-58-54.png

Upvote 0
Tasker has a variable "in-call volume" referred to as %VOLC
It adjusts the volume during phone calls.

I presume it is an Android variable which is not available in the phone settings menu, only accessible through apps (like Tasker). Some other app may have changed that variable on you. Try Tasker to increase the volue of %VOLC. Mine is currently set to 5 and volume is fine for me.

Upvote 0
Hello,
thank you both for the reply.

@Petrah,
I believe it's some app on our phones that may have recently updated and is causing the issue. Although, I'm fairly certain Safe Mode disables all apps and restores phone settings to default (correct me if I'm wrong).

Do you know if there's any way to check which apps on our phone recently updated?

@electricpete,
I purchased the Tasker app for $2.99 and checked the volume for in-calls, it is set to the maximum of 5.

Problem still lingering, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
@electricpete,
I purchased the Tasker app for $2.99 and checked the volume for in-calls, it is set to the maximum of 5.

Problem still lingering, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Ouch, I really thought that would work. Sorry you ended up spending money and time on that with no result. On the bright side, maybe you will find tasker useful for other things. I can't think of anything else to try for the in-call volume problem, sorry.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones