• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Called Samsung Canada to ask about Froyo update

With having a few issues on my phone after the Froyo update on my Captivate (dock mode locking up, landscape mode, navigation not loading) I decided to call the number on the Froyo update page to ask a few questions. I wasn't expecting much and wasn't disappointed! After being put on hold, being told that the call could be recorded for training purposes etc etc.... I finally get a "hello" on the other end... Nothing more... So I had to ask "Is this the department where I can talk to someone about the Capivate Froyo update?" Not very professional... And it gets better...

I tried to explain my issue with the dock apps. He didn't understand what I was talking about. I even had to explain what the home and car dock even was. He was quick to point out that maybe its a compatibility problem and thats why they don't offer them for sale in Canada. Really? :rolleyes:

I was told to let the navigation app run for up to 15 minutes to get a lock. My comment of "your joking :eek:" got a response of oh yes it can take 7 or 8 minutes for the satalites to lock... :rolleyes: When I said any other gps app locks immediately, but I don't even get the navigation app to fully load he then conceeded that he didn't know.

He was able to tell me that the landscape mode wasn't a froyo feature. To which I replied if the phone is in a dock it does go into landscape mode, so it is built into the OS. :rolleyes:

I was able to get a code to restore my os back to stock at least. A quick restore and my navigation is back up and running normally. Tonight will be the test of the non compatible non authorized OEM Captivate dock. :rolleyes:

The gist of the conversation is I knew far more about the phone and Froyo then he did. As I consider myself a newb at this that's really sad... Overall quite high on the humor scale and worth the call just for the laughs...

You did the Rogers Froyo update?

Could you check something for me? We are many Captivate users who did the update and, since then, cannot access more than 2 Gb of the INTERNAL memory card through Mass Storage mode.

Your card can be filled to the brim, but you won't be able to access the data with your PC. You also won't be able to add additional files if you already have more than 2 Gb.

We are trying to establish if this problem occurs automatically when the phone is updated or if something else triggers it.

Thanks in advance.

P.S., I called Rogers about it, and the first tech I spoke to said to me "I never recommend doing an update on the first days of its release. You never know what can happen." so I asked him if that meant that Rogers knowingly distribute a faulty update or that Rogers does not test the update before distributing it. Also, he did not understand the concept of the internal vs external memory card, so I asked him if he even held a captivate in his hand, and if not, how could he expect to provide technical service for it. He hung up on me.

Upvote 0
You did the Rogers Froyo update?

Could you check something for me? We are many Captivate users who did the update and, since then, cannot access more than 2 Gb of the INTERNAL memory card through Mass Storage mode.

Your card can be filled to the brim, but you won't be able to access the data with your PC. You also won't be able to add additional files if you already have more than 2 Gb.

We are trying to establish if this problem occurs automatically when the phone is updated or if something else triggers it.

Thanks in advance.

P.S., I called Rogers about it, and the first tech I spoke to said to me "I never recommend doing an update on the first days of its release. You never know what can happen." so I asked him if that meant that Rogers knowingly distribute a faulty update or that Rogers does not test the update before distributing it. Also, he did not understand the concept of the internal vs external memory card, so I asked him if he even held a captivate in his hand, and if not, how could he expect to provide technical service for it. He hung up on me.

It certainly is "Hit & Miss" with Rogers wireless technical support for Android phones. First hand from my HTC Magic and Rogers, the support has been better lately since development has stabled off for the HTC Magic. I am sure with new Android phones rolling out, the initial pain of customer service will be high. My experience with Magic increased after rooting the phone and my requirement for support from Rogers was virtually eliminated.

The next Android phone I purchase will have to be a true Google experience phone, so I am not tied to any politics with the carrier and manufacturer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones