Caller ID app that works only for numbers NOT in my contacts?

Last Updated:

1. gingersnapgirl

gingersnapgirl Well-Known Member Contributor

Does such a thing exist?

If I have them in my contacts, I don't need caller ID.

Advertisement
  2. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you're asking. If a number calling in isn't in your contacts it should just show as the number. If the number IS in your contacts it should be translated to the name.

The concept of Caller ID is that you know what NUMBER is calling, the phone just takes that number and gives it a name if you have it associated with a name in your contacts.
  3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

There are some caller ID apps that identify unknown/unsaved numbers calling you via the internet (online phonebook thingy).
  4. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

I believe that Verizon offers caller ID as an account option for numbers that are not in your contact list. AT&T may have a similar offering.

BigRedGonzo
  5. gingersnapgirl

this is what I'm referring to. I had one that did this, but it also popped up for callers who were already associated with number/name in my contacts, which is redundant.

The original purpose of Caller ID was to identify unknown callers. It checks the number against an external database to try to put a name to the number. If they're in my contacts already, they're not unknown, and therefore, caller ID is not needed.

Thanks, but I'm trying to avoid paying a monthly fee for a service that I can already get for free. I just want one with slightly different functionality.

It seems that what I'm looking for may not exist, though.

Thanks for trying!
  6. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Well-Known Member Contributor

I use whosCall - works great and it's free.
  7. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

Then of course there are people like my brother who are ex-directory and thus come up as 'number unknown'. A lot of businesses are the same so it won't work with them either. That's for the UK anyway, maybe the US doesn't have those little 'quirks'.

Dave
  8. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

I like current caller id for this.
  9. gingersnapgirl

I used this one, but there doesn't appear to be a way to prevent it from coming up on calls from people in my contacts, and this annoys me.
  10. shelliewnj

shelliewnj Well-Known Member

Yup. Here, it comes up with "unknown caller" if you have an unlisted number.
  11. rc pilot

rc pilot Active Member

12. gingersnapgirl