Caller ID when several people share the same number?

Last Updated:

1. fried

fried Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My sister and her boyfriend each have their own mobiles, but they share the same land line. When someone calls me from that land line, caller ID always shows that it's my sister's boyfriend calling me, when 90% of the time it'll be my sister. Is there any way to change the default caller (in terms of caller ID) for a particular land line when a land line is shared among contacts?

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Interested to see how it picks who to display. Does the boyfriends name start with a letter earlier in the alphabet?

3. fried

fried Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah, his first name is Marc and my sister's is Sue. Maybe it's just alphabetical based on the first name? It can't be the last name because his surname begins with a W and my sister's begins with B.

It's certainly not a major issue, but I was just wondering if it's a setting that could be changed.

4. glenmcfar

glenmcfar Guest

The easiest thing to do would be delete the landline number from Marcs's contact info.

5. piannetta

piannetta Well-Known Member

Not an iPhone fan, but I do like how it handles this by telling you the list of people who share the same number.

6. RobDickson

RobDickson Well-Known Member

I'm not an iPhone fan either, but that does sound quite good.

Coming from using Nokia phones (which only displayed the number when more that one contact had the same number), I have a combined contact (containing address and landline number) and two separate contacts (containing mobile numbers and e-mail addresses).