• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Caller ID without subscription?

S-M-R-T

Lurker
Nov 22, 2010
For $8 a month I skipped on the caller ID subscription. I have tried a couple programs to no avail. As as all incoming calls (even those in my contacts?!?) show up as unknown I can't even call back or reverse look-up missed calls. Is there any way to get this function in anyway without paying Telus more money?

Similar geography, similar corporate misadventure.

Similar geography? Really? I think it's time to take a good look at a map... Canada doesn't even have similar geography to other parts of Canada! ;P

But, anyway, yes... Canadians get majorly shafted on anything to do with cellphones. It always makes me shake my head to hear people across the pond whining about the prices they pay or how long their contracts are... here, a 3 year contract is standard, and a typical plan would be $50/month for 200 local minutes and 500mb of data, plus you can choose the "bonus" of doubling your minutes OR getting free texting... and no, that doesn't include caller ID. Also, that's the cheapest possible plan, it goes up from there. OP, if you ever figure out a way to cheat Telus on the caller ID thing, please let the rest of us know too...

Upvote 0
just wondering if theres any news on this? I would love to stop paying the ridiculous 8 dollar fee for caller ID.
Well I think SUroot's original reply answered it. The information is presumably being withheld by the network (because the phone will show it if available), in which case software on the phone won't change this.

Upvote 0
Similar geography? Really? I think it's time to take a good look at a map... Canada doesn't even have similar geography to other parts of Canada! ;P

Ok I've looked at a map and I am sorry to inform you of this, but not only is Canada in North America, but it also shares a border with the usa. More than 1

;)

Upvote 0
Hi.

I also have the same question as the original post. Was someone able to get an answer?

Yes, twice. It is not possible.

If the is is being withheld by your carrier, there's obviously not going to be much that can be done about it.

I'm pretty sure anything you could do would not be strictly legal.... even if they are trying to rob you blind.

Well I think SUroot's original reply answered it. The information is presumably being withheld by the network (because the phone will show it if available), in which case software on the phone won't change this.

Upvote 0
The extra $8 is silly, there's a way around it with my carrier, right now I pay $45 for 200+50 minutes, 500MB data and unlimited text, if I switched to $30 voice only and did the $15 add-on package that includes unlimited text, 100MB data and caller ID I'd come out at the same rate and the $30 having 150 minutes I can pick double minutes. Going from 500MB to 100MB wouldn't be a big deal to me as I only use as much as 40MB per month.

Reactions: zildj
Upvote 0
The extra $8 is silly, there's a way around it with my carrier, right now I pay $45 for 200+50 minutes, 500MB data and unlimited text, if I switched to $30 voice only and did the $15 add-on package that includes unlimited text, 100MB data and caller ID I'd come out at the same rate and the $30 having 150 minutes I can pick double minutes. Going from 500MB to 100MB wouldn't be a big deal to me as I only use as much as 40MB per month.

wow, that might work out for me. we have unlimited local calling voice plan for $30 and i can have the add-on that includes unlimited text, picture and video messages and Caller ID plus 100MB of Data in Canada for $20/month.

thanks for that idea!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones