1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Caller ID

Last Updated:

1. kvanr2

kvanr2 New Member This Topic's Starter

I have a Motorola Quench, and am in Canada on Rogers.

I have the Rogers caller ID service on my phone, but it costs $8 a month. I would really like to drop this, as it is borderline extortion to have to pay that much.

I was wondering if there was a suitable application to display caller ID or even just the phone number that is calling?

I've seen alot that pull up data from whitepages for landlines, but really all I basically need is something to just show my the # (instead of displaying "Unknown"), if it has name/etc., then that is a bonus.

I am willing to use a paid app also!

Thanks.

EDIT: What about a voicemail app?? Kind of like something that answers the call and takes a message for you, like having your own answering machine vs. paying for voicemail.

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

I can't believe in the year 2010 a carrier is still charging extra for caller id...

Unfortunately, the caller id has to come from your carrier. So if you disable it from your carrier, I'm pretty sure any caller id apps wont work. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I don't know how an app would get the caller id info if the carrier isnt sending it to your phone.

3. kvanr2

This is what I expected.

There are quite a few apps that seem to use whitepages though, so I wonder where they would get their info, and why would you need a whitepages app if your caller id already (should) do this for you.

What about voicemail apps?

4. sitlet

sitlet Banned

I'm not sure, it's worth a shot to try it though.

Again, I'm not 100% sure, but from what I know, voicemail is also a service of your carrier. You are free to use any voicemail apps on the phone, but they need the service from your carrier to get and download the voicemails. Without voicemail from your carrier, I don't think they would work.

5. kvanr2