• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Calling All Grammar Nazi's

Meh sound, like the rule -

ei: counterfeit, feisty, foreign, kaleidoscope, poltergeist, seismograph, surfeit and their

cie: ancient, deficient, glacier, proficient, society, science and sufficient

ie: gaiety

Eeee sounds -

ei: caffeine, leisure, protein, seize and weird

cie: deficiencies and species

^ Twofer.

Upvote 0
uploadfromtaptalk1431483860458.jpg

Upvote 0
On-line, where people who can spell and use language properly are in a tiny minority, certainly isn't the plaice to go on about grandma.

It is, though, an opportunity to indulge in some educashun of the grate unwashed.

So, let us turn our attention to this phrase:
incorrect lexical choice

It is a fine example of obfuscating the message by complicating things with the, er, inappropriate lexical choice.

Why say "incorrect lexical choice" when you can say "wrong choice of words" or "chose the wrong words"?

But please, don't all become fine writers, or you will put people like me out of a job.

Upvote 0
It is a fine example of obfuscating the message by complicating things with the, er, inappropriate lexical choice.

Hmm. I wouldn't say I was obfuscating the message. And I disagree that my lexical choice was inappropriate.

Why say "incorrect lexical choice" when you can say "wrong choice of words" or "chose the wrong words"?

Well "incorrect" is a neutral word bereft of moral implication, whereas "wrong" is just plain wrong, if you see what I mean.

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
There are holes in sections of the airframe that are called lightening holes. They are there, obviously, to lighten, but also strengthen the piece (if you flare the hole, it makes the piece more rigid, physics FTW).

It took me a while to figure out why people were calling these 'lightning holes'...

Upvote 0
Google the grammar enforcer. So the user of "U" as apposed to "an individual", is deemed, at best, as asking a question that needs a quick answer and is not searching too deeply? While "an individual" user is asking a more probing question and has spent slightly more time composing their question?

Or are Google search suggestions just those that are the most common when "U" or "an individual" is used? An impartial prompt raising thoughts on impartiality, or the lack of it and/or bias or the lack of.

Before I tie myself up in linguistic post insomnia induced knots, particularly on a thread about grammar, a question needs answering. Is Google biased, or is it only presenting suggested searches based on terms used previously? My guess is the latter, and as such is a reflection on those that would use "U" rather than "an individual". Or, much more likely, am I a simplistic language snob?

Reactions: Lordvincent 90
Upvote 0
Google the grammar enforcer. So the user of "U" as apposed to "an individual", is deemed, at best, as asking a question that needs a quick answer and is not searching too deeply? While "an individual" user is asking a more probing question and has spent slightly more time composing their question?

Or are Google search suggestions just those that are the most common when "U" or "an individual" is used? An impartial prompt raising thoughts on impartiality, or the lack of it and/or bias or the lack of.

Before I tie myself up in linguistic post insomnia induced knots, particularly on a thread about grammar, a question needs answering. Is Google biased, or is it only presenting suggested searches based on terms used previously? My guess is the latter, and as such is a reflection on those tryst would use "U" rather than "an individual". Or, much more likely, am I a simplistic language snob?
The simple answer is yes.

Upvote 0
:)

While the search suggestions are largely a list of most commonly searched parameters, Google does use some fancy algorithms which may affect the results.

Of course, I am unaffiliated with Google/Alphabet, and know next to nothing about SEO beyond what the initials mean; so I am essentially talking out of my back-end...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones