• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Sprint] calling former og owners

I see now that the fix WAS in the guide, my mistake. It was almost 4 AM by the time my PC wanted to play nice and I had settled on which Rom I wanted to flash. I have no idea how the driver issue fixed itself. I rebooted and reinstalled the driver pack over and over, and finally it just magically appeared after the nth time I did. It's ok, I'm not new to having to "make" things work on my PC, since I have a newer cpu running on a five year old MB with custom bios. I liked the rooting process being more hands on for the GNex vs my old Evo. I used a one click method back then, was great for when I did it, but this way I feel way more comfortable about the os and file system of the phone. I'm loving battery life on this phone. Even using the phone alot before work I'm still seeing 13-14 hours before it even drops below 25%. WAY better than my OG Evo had, even when it was new. Ask away if you have any more questions, and I'll do my best to answer.

Upvote 0
I see now that the fix WAS in the guide, my mistake. It was almost 4 AM by the time my PC wanted to play nice and I had settled on which Rom I wanted to flash. I have no idea how the driver issue fixed itself. I rebooted and reinstalled the driver pack over and over, and finally it just magically appeared after the nth time I did. It's ok, I'm not new to having to "make" things work on my PC, since I have a newer cpu running on a five year old MB with custom bios. I liked the rooting process being more hands on for the GNex vs my old Evo. I used a one click method back then, was great for when I did it, but this way I feel way more comfortable about the os and file system of the phone. I'm loving battery life on this phone. Even using the phone alot before work I'm still seeing 13-14 hours before it even drops below 25%. WAY better than my OG Evo had, even when it was new. Ask away if you have any more questions, and I'll do my best to answer.

No problem, just wanted to make sure that if it was something else, I could add it lol. Glad you got your phone rooted and running, would love to here what ROM and kernel you are running. Right now I'm running are you jellin RC1 with Trinity JB build 20, about to upgrade to build 28.

EDIT: Also made it a little more evident that it is in the guide.

Upvote 0
I tried to post this last night, but my internet was wonky.... First awesome thread. In the same boat, debating between the gnex and sgs3. Glad to see so many EVO users here.

Lot of good info here, props to urge for the root guide and frenchy for pointing me here.
:)

I think most of us had the same debate. My buddy picked up his gs3 on Sunday and its a great phone but it doesn't do much more than the gnex (IMO). Most features that the gs3 has can be downloaded from the market. Don't get me wrong, its a beast of a phone, but the gnex is cheaper and can do pretty much everything the gs3 can do. Either choice you'll get a great phone, but one will save you money without sacrificing noticeable performance.

Plus, urge and frenchy could use your help. They have been putting in work getting this forum going for everyone.

Upvote 0
I'm another OG Evo owner in the same boat. But, I currently have the Evo 3D which I can't stand (wonky digitizer) and a screen that go unresponsive constantly.

I am debating between the SG3, GNex and Evo LTE. I'm leaning towards the GNex mainly so I can upgrade Android easily. I loved the camera on the OG Evo, and the 3D isn't bad. Is the GNex camera as bad as people say? I'm not expecting DSLR quality pictures, but something I can use to show my kids activities to friends.

Upvote 0
I'm another OG Evo owner in the same boat. But, I currently have the Evo 3D which I can't stand (wonky digitizer) and a screen that go unresponsive constantly.

I am debating between the SG3, GNex and Evo LTE. I'm leaning towards the GNex mainly so I can upgrade Android easily. I loved the camera on the OG Evo, and the 3D isn't bad. Is the GNex camera as bad as people say? I'm not expecting DSLR quality pictures, but something I can use to show my kids activities to friends.

I don't have any complaints with the picture quality on my Gnex. The pic quality is decent and is fairly crisp. I'm always snapping photos of my children and sharing them with friends and family. You may want to download fast burst camera from Google Play. With that app you can take 30 shots per second. It's pretty neat.
You definitely won't have any issues keeping your friends updated on what your little buggers are doing!

Reactions: AARONONE
Upvote 0

Honestly, I don't use my camera much on any of my phones. I did not care for the camera on the og as pictures were so so. However, I am impressed with the gnex camera. I know its not the best, but definitely better than the og. I have used it to take pictures of the kids at their soccer games and I was surprised on how good they came out. Also, used the app that frenchy recommended and it works good too. For what you are looking for, you should be fine. I suggest going to sprint and trying all three cameras if that is the selling point. Let us know what you decide.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty much sold on this phone right now. To me, the only negative that I can think of is that it's a bit older - but that seems like a non issue. And maybe the camera, I haven't really played with the camera on one yet (the one at the sprint store wasn't working :eek:)

So unfortunately hopefully you'll be seeing more of me around here ;)

A question, I was reading on here about the rooting method, are we sure it backs up LTE? Is there a way to check that? The evo had you grep through a file looking for the keys if i'm not mistaken... :D

Upvote 0
I'm pretty much sold on this phone right now. To me, the only negative that I can think of is that it's a bit older - but that seems like a non issue. And maybe the camera, I haven't really played with the camera on one yet (the one at the sprint store wasn't working :eek:)

So unfortunately hopefully you'll be seeing more of me around here ;)

A question, I was reading on here about the rooting method, are we sure it backs up LTE? Is there a way to check that? The evo had you grep through a file looking for the keys if i'm not mistaken... :D

This may be a little premature, but Welcome aboard (hopefully :D)! I'm not sure if there is a way to see if LTE is backed up or not, I'll ask around, but I know there are plenty of people running the JB ROM's available to us that have LTE available to them and are currently on it w/o issue. People have reported getting 20 megs down and 10 up on LTE....BLAZING!!!

Upvote 0
This may be a little premature, but Welcome aboard (hopefully :D)! I'm not sure if there is a way to see if LTE is backed up or not, I'll ask around, but I know there are plenty of people running the JB ROM's available to us that have LTE available to them and are currently on it w/o issue. People have reported getting 20 megs down and 10 up on LTE....BLAZING!!!

LTE doesn't need to be backed up like wimax did. I don't think the is a way to loose LTE.

Upvote 0
Awesome, those damn wimax keys made me nervous.

Well, I really hope that I'll be on board soon. I did however promise my upgrade to a family member, who might decide to use it. If so, then I'll honor that and give it to them... and wait on the nexus. But, if my upgrade is far enough out, maybe the next nexus ...? If I would have been a bit more decisive making up my mind with the g3 vs. GNex ... I might have JB right now ;)

I'll still be popping in from time to time regardless.. :D

Good to know that you can't lose lte. And I guess that makes sense, from my understanding wimax wasn't a cell phone technology as much as it was a beefed up wifi (still 802 standard I believe) - and lte is a cell tech.... I *think*

:D :)

Upvote 0
Awesome, those damn wimax keys made me nervous.

Well, I really hope that I'll be on board soon. I did however promise my upgrade to a family member, who might decide to use it. If so, then I'll honor that and give it to them... and wait on the nexus. But, if my upgrade is far enough out, maybe the next nexus ...? If I would have been a bit more decisive making up my mind with the g3 vs. GNex ... I might have JB right now ;)

I'll still be popping in from time to time regardless.. :D

Good to know that you can't lose lte. And I guess that makes sense, from my understanding wimax wasn't a cell phone technology as much as it was a beefed up wifi (still 802 standard I believe) - and lte is a cell tech.... I *think*

:D :)
Ha, I'm trying to talk my wife into using the OG and then me take my upgrade, then we can stagger upgrades every year and I can just pass my old phone onto her. Don't think she's going to go for it though!

Definitely good to know that LTE cannot be lost. Maybe it's too early to tell since hardly anyone can use it, but is LTE the battery hog that Wimax was? I thought I had remember reading that the newer stuff is all on the same radio, and the thing that made Wimax so bad on the OG was that it was a completely separate radio....might tie into the wifi/cell comment above.

Reactions: 9to5cynic
Upvote 0
I just bought a gnex on ebay (I should get it this week) and now my husband wants me to sell my beloved og Evo. I'm not sure I can sell my baby. Mixed feelings. My, I had fun with this phone but looking forward to a new toy.

Edit a few days later
Got my GNex this morning and had it rooted by noon. The drivers gave me a bit of trouble. Almost all moved in tonight. Going to get ICS set up and then nandroid, then a jelly bean ROM, maybe Sunday or next weekend. Keeping the OG as a backup. :)

Reactions: NaterTots
Upvote 0
I just bought a gnex on ebay (I should get it this week) and now my husband wants me to sell my beloved og Evo. I'm not sure I can sell my baby. Mixed feelings. My, I had fun with this phone but looking forward to a new toy.

Welcome to the family. You will definitely like the gnex. I hear you on selling the og, I kept mine as a back up.

Reactions: slyd
Upvote 0

I understand what you mean as far as having fun with the OG, mine was stolen a long time ago so my feelings were different. I still feel a sense of nostalgia every time it's mentioned (can hear that Boys II Men song, "It's So Hard To Say Goodbye" in my head as I'm typing this lol).

Honestly, once you receive your Gnex, root it, and experience Jelly Bean, I'm confident that you won't think about your OG any longer.

Reactions: slyd
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones