• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Sprint] calling former og owners

I'm considering a switch. Just last night I called and they said that the tower upgrades will be done by year end. Not sure I want to put up with bad service for that long. Decisions decisions!

I tell ya...WiFi is everywhere, so data to me is not an issue. Also, I dont think sprint will drop unlimited data even after lte works fully....its what is keeping them afloat now and will lure new customers later...just switch back!!! Hahahahh

Upvote 0
Kinda fell out of the community for a few weeks, had some stuff going on, sorry. Jumping back into here, so happy to see more people chose this phone. I'm still loving it.

I am having the same apparent Sprint tower issues as some of you have had. I'm in the Richmond, VA market and I think they may be doing some work here too. I haven't seen our name on any of the LTE lists, but my signal was fine the first week or two I had the phone, but now I've seen a sharp drop in the signal level in the same areas where it was strong before. This leaves me with a spotty but acceptable Google Music experience, but Pandora won't stream at all now, if I'm off WiFi.

Camera quality get's the job done. I've had some poor low light photos, but the shutter speed has really been a blessing. Also the video quality is great. I just got married a month ago and I had brought a HD camcorder with me but it got caught in the downpour on the way into the wedding site. Out came my GNex to the rescue. Took a fine video even from the back of the room in lower light.

I'm still rocking the Are You Jellin' rom from a month ago. I've been waiting for some more mature custom Roms to appear and I think this Codename Android Rom looks like the bees knees. I just hate having to set everything back up again. I love rooting and flashing some new hotness on my phone, but I always get lazy because of the work to keep everything intact from one Rom to the next.

Upvote 0
Welcome back and Congrats on getting married!!! Codename is the TRUTH! It's way ahead of the pack, give it a shot! I hear you on having to setup all over again when going to a new ROM, it can be a pita. It takes me all of 10 min. to have everything setup after a clean install. This may help make your setup less cumbersome (I'm sure you use some of these methods already).

1. First I flash ROM/Gaaps/kernel in the same recovery session

2. After boot I dl tibu and restore all my apps (not system data)

3. I restore my SMS messages with SMS Backup And Restore app

4. Lastly I restore my Nova Launcher backup in Nova settings, which places all my apps, widgets and folders to how they were when I backed them up! This is a huge time saver because placing everything back on the proper home screens is the most time consuming part of setting up for me....At least it was :D.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tips! I was a devout TiBU user on my OG Evo but I still haven't gotten around to setting it up on here. When I rooted it factory reset the phone, I know you should wipe data when switching Roms too. Won't that Bork the internal "SD card" partition on the phone, erasing all the backups, photos and videos? I know, totally noob question, but I never had to worry on the Evo because it was a real card I had everything on.
PS: rocking the Seidio Active case w/ the 2100 mah battery from Sprint. That was a sweet deal on the battery. I never plug it in during the day now.

Upvote 0
Hey Frenchy I just bought Franco kernel app if you want to drop your color controls. Also what kernel are you running right now, I just found a newish one on Rootz and was wondering if you tried it out.

I flashed Nyan once, and the trickstermod it comes with had my phone buggin out majorly, so I never looked back and went back to Franco. I'll give Nyan another try once it gets out of beta. Franco's milestone 5 is a really good kernel but I'm on the latest nightly, which you can dl from his app.

Off topic, but have you tried any of CNA's latest builds yet?

Upvote 0
I flashed Nyan once, and the trickstermod it comes with had my phone buggin out majorly, so I never looked back and went back to Franco. I'll give Nyan another try once it gets out of beta. Franco's milestone 5 is a really good kernel but I'm on the latest nightly, which you can dl from his app.

Off topic, but have you tried any of CNA's latest builds yet?

I'm on the latest right now (or at least I think so 3.4.1) I am liking it so far but only flashed it about three hours ago. I'll give it a day or so to settle in and let you know then.

Upvote 0
Franco nightly, the past couple days lean has been acting up so I figured it was time to change it up a bit

Yeah, Franco's last few nightly's as well as milestone 5 has been ON POINT! Whatever he's doing, is def working.

I played around some more with the colors and got something a little bit brighter but still rich. Sliders 120, 130, 200, RGB -10, 0, 2, Omap4 1.0, Trinity Contrast -16.

Upvote 0
Well guys, got a letter today. Sprint's givin' us the boot. I suppose we roamed a bit much. Though not intentionally, we live in the sticks. So come the end of the month, I've gotta switch. Not sure what that means as far as the Nexus is concerned. But I must say, I've loved this device. It's ending too soon. :(
I guess we'll see how it all turns out.

Upvote 0
Well guys, got a letter today. Sprint's givin' us the boot. I suppose we roamed a bit much. Though not intentionally, we live in the sticks. So come the end of the month, I've gotta switch. Not sure what that means as far as the Nexus is concerned. But I must say, I've loved this device. It's ending too soon. :(
I guess we'll see how it all turns out.

Damn!...REALLY?!? That's unfortunate, you just got your Gnex!

Upvote 0
Franco nightly, the past couple days lean has been acting up so I figured it was time to change it up a bit

I was having issues with lean too. I ended up flashing milestone 5. Working pretty good so far but I definitely need an app to adjust the colo, stock is just so ugly.

BTW, sorry 9to5. Hate to see you go. Were you using the Verizon tower thing?

Reactions: 9to5cynic
Upvote 0
Nope, just have no signal where I live. And it's odd, because when we were first notified of excessive roaming (a year ago) I had been tethering a lot. So I stopped. The notices stopped too, so I figured we were good. Guess not. :rolleyes:

There's not much of a signal where I'm at too, but that goes for all carriers in my area. Each carrier only has 2 towers I believe, so it wouldn't matter if I ended up switching service.....

Upvote 0
Well, I probably roam to Verizon, but I didn't ever user a verizon PRL even with the evo. And I haven't used tethering on the nexus at all, and since we got the letter I stopped using it on the evo. It's important to note that I am in a family plan and other family members could have been roaming more... though I am the only rooted member.

@Frenchy, yeah, who ever we end up with next will probably not have any better signal.... :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones