1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Calls over 3G

Last Updated:

1. nexusoneuser

nexusoneuser Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone,

I've been doing my research on the subject but I have time believing that there is no services that will allow me to me 3G calls with my Nexus One (it is my understanding that with the iPhone there are several services that offer that). Is that true??? I'm in Canada so the Google Voice service is not an option.

Thanks a lot

Advertisement
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Skype and a lot of other services.

3. nexusoneuser

Thanks for your reply although I've looked for Skype in the Android market and that didn't yield any results. Mind providing me with the name of the other services to which you refer or where to find Skype for Android? Thanks!

4. Szadzik

Have you tried searching for VOIP?

Fring
    MobileVOIP
    FriendCaller
    Fonosip.com VOIP
    VOIPBuster
    Skuku
    Truphone
    Rebtel
    IPCall
    to just name a few.

5. steelersmb

steelersmb Well-Known Member

There is also Sipdroid, Sipgate and other. I have posted a few topics on how I use Sipdroid and Google Voice to do this.

6. nexusoneuser

Thanks again for your reply. I'm new to Android but not new to VoIP and alike. I tried most of the mentioned services but from what I saw they use the GSM network to route their calls, not 3G, ie. if I want to make a call with, say, Truphone, it dials another number in Canada using the GSM network and then the call is routed through VoIP. This works well if I want to make an international call but not a local one. I spoke with Truphone and they told me that they do not offer 3G calls with Android. So here goes my question again: Is there a service that will allow me to make 3G calls all the way? I want to use my data plan to make calls, not my GSM minutes. Thanks!

7. nexusoneuser

Thanks for the reply, the only problem is that I mentioned Google Voice is not available in Canada...

8. ranova

ranova Well-Known Member

There is no Skype for android that uses 3g to make calls. The only android version out is for Verizon and it still uses your minutes to make calls.

There is a leaked beta out there and its basically the same, and a piece of sh*t

Skype said they would be releasing a full blown app later this year.

9. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I just looked up Skype on the Market. The very first thing it says, "Unlimited Skype-to-Skype calls and IM without counting against your minutes." Whether that's true or not I can't say, but that is what Skype claims.

10. Szadzik

There is Nimbuzz though that allows using skype for skype out calls.

11. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Right. However, presumably not everyone you call uses Skype. Calls to those that don't wouldn't be Skype-to-Skype. Skype Mobile does use minutes. The minutes just don't count against you.

See also:
    Skype - The Big Blog - Skype mobile for Verizon Wireless available from Thursday

In any case, Skype isn't a suitable solution for the OP.

12. ranova

ranova Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Skype has blocked that from Nimbuzz

13. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

True. They're going to count as Skype minutes instead of carrier minutes so you'll end up paying for them either way. It sounds like the OP wants to be able to make phone calls on his cell to anyone in the world without paying for it. I don't know that any program is going to fit that solution.

14. nexusoneuser

I'm new to this forum and I'm unsure what OP means but if that refers to me then please be advised that I never said I wanted to make free calls, all I want to do is use my data plan to make calls because it's more efficient than using the GSM network and their more expensive minutes, that's all. So far I haven't been able to find a straight answer, I'm not with Verizon so when I look for Skype in the market it doesn't even show up.

15. Szadzik

You can use Nimbuzz and either buy Nimbuzz credits to do what you want or use Skype Out credits to call through Nimbuzz.

16. nexusoneuser

Ok, so long story short, I cannot make 3G calls (without going through my provider's GSM network). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

On a side note, I just tried an iPhone 4 used Truphone to make a 3G and it was very simple and the sound quality was pretty good. I like, however, many aspects of my Nexus One so it's a bit of a dilemma...

17. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation VIP Member

I use sipgate + Google voice + 3CXphone.

works on 3G and wifi ... you get a bit of an echo but it works fine.

18. nexusoneuser

Why do they have to make it so complicated... thanks for the tip though, I will give it a shot.

19. nexusoneuser

Just to let everyone know, Nimbuzz now allows calls over 3G. Copied below is the confirmation from Nimbuzz support

QUESTION:
    Hello, I have a Nexus One. If I'm to use Nimbuzz to make a call, would it be made using the 3G network or GSM?

REPLY:
    Hello,

Nimbuzz uses internet connection therefore, it will use your 3G.

20. Chuck O. Jones

Chuck O. Jones Banned

Huh?
    3G is just one of the GSM protocols used for mobile communications. Just like EDGE, GPRS, and 4G.
    I.o.w. "3G is more efficient than using the GSM network" makes no sense. If you're using 3G you are using a GSM network...

On the subject of VoIP:
    many telcos/providers, illegally using DPI (Deep Packet Inspection), throttle the use of VoIP software from our phones (effectively rendering it useless). Simply because they don't make money from us making calls or chatting via the internet so they want to force us to do that via their (mobile) phone networks so they can charge us silly...