Calls over Wifi--no data or voice plan?

Last Updated:

1. photosteve212

photosteve212 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,

Okay, this is my plan. Since I'm surrounded by WiFi 90% of the time--you see where I'm going--I'd like to avoid data and voice charges. From other sites I've gathered solutions but frankly it makes my brain spin.

Does this sound right?

1. Purchase unlocked N1
    2. Sign up for (or purchase on EBay) a google voice account
    3. Purchase a Gizmo5 account--or use something else?
    4. SIPdroid app for android
    5. Unofficial GV app for android

Questions:
    1. Does this work?
    2. Any of you have real world experience using this?
    3. What is the quality of phone calls?
    4. Is the battery drained inordinately using this method?
    5. Can I switch to using a prepaid calling card when I need to make calls outside WiFi range?

Any tips/thoughts/experiences would be helpful!

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

1. No reason it shouldn't, mileage may vary. Perhaps borrow an Android phone and get it working on it before purchasing.
    2. No experience
    3 See two.
    4 Battery life should be consistent with what you would expect from making a phone call with wifi on.
    5. Yes, just ensure that you disable any data APNs so you are not drained of your pre paid balance everytime you plug in your SIM.

3. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

Correction to point 4...battery life is substantially shorter when using sipdroid, even via wifi. I have tried using sipdroid, both using the asterisk gateways that I manage for my company, and a sipgate account, and have yet been successful in having people on the other end in being able to hear me consistently, again, even on wifi.

Others have posted having more luck, though there is a common concensus that the voice quality is moderate to poor.

4. System6

System6 Well-Known Member

There is an app called "Truphone" that offers True VOIP. This is what I will be using until Google voice actually utilizes true VOIP with google voice.

5. cxm

cxm Active Member

just downloaded truphone, but it says that the nexus isn't supported yet

6. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

Fring is a VoIP app... have you tried that?

7. cxm

cxm Active Member

so far I have tried 3 voip apps hoping to get skype to skype free calls:

truphone - doesn't support nexus yet
    fring - worked to an extent but never really showed me which contacts were online
    Nimbuzz - showed my which skype contact were online but then automatically ended the call as soon as the other party answered.

hopefully either one of these will improve, or skype will launch a "proper" skype app. Anyone know of any other apps that they have had success with for skype to skype calls?

8. jblazea50

jblazea50 Well-Known Member

Truphone works, but it's not free; the person you are calling must also have truphone in order for it to be free

9. cxm

cxm Active Member

truphone supports skype to skype which was what I was looking for (add the account under IM, long press on contact in IM brings up the option to call skype contact). Unfortunately, although it imports my skype contacts, it always shows them as offline. If I know that someone is online and call them, then it works, but it's just not very a convenient/polished solution