Calls straight to voice mail?General

Last Updated:

1. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know this sounds a little cuckoo, but this has happened twice to me already, and I wonder if it has happened to anyone else:

One day about 3 weeks ago I missed a few calls from a friend because the phone did not ring. I had a special ringtone assigned to the person, so I checked to see if there was something wrong with the person's Contacts entry that would make the phone not ring.
    When I looked, the box was checked where it says "Send calls directly to voicemail". I know that I never checked that box intentionally, so I unchecked it. That was about 3 weeks ago.

Yesterday the same person called 3 times and the phone never rang, so I looked at the Contacts entry again and, sure enough, the box was checked again!

I carry my phone in a holster on my belt, so it can't be that the box was inadvertently checked by the phone moving around in my pocket.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

That used to happen to me all the time on Alltel. The explanation was that the nearest tower was seeing the call, but did not have enough signal strength to send it to my phone, but did have enough to cause the call to go to voice mail.

It usually happens most often to travelers and people with their phones just a bit too far from the nearest tower, they said.

3. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This is weird. Both times it happened I was in the middle of New York City, so it's not as if I'm in some remote locale, or roaming. I usually get three bars in my apartment.

A weak signal would explain the calls going to voicemail, but what about the "Send calls directly to voicemail" box being checked? Maybe I've been sleepwalking...?

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Well, not all weak signals are because of lack of proximity to the nearest tower. Sometimes it has to do with cell signal traffic in the area you're in, and even weather and other atmospheric conditions. Not to mention the health of the tower antenna and its receiving/transmitting apparatus.

5. mc48

mc48 Well-Known Member

Not exactly on topic, but I have one setting that every time I reboot my phone (turn off/on) it reverts back to default and I don't know why but it drives me crazy. It sets the screen timeout from where I have it set at 2 minutes to dim after 15 secs. It is the only setting that i have noticed that does that. Maybe it is just some kind of kink particular to our phones or a program we have installed.

6. 5thAgent

5thAgent Well-Known Member

My theory is google syncing was hosed at the time you disabled the check box, so when the phone sync'd again, it put it back as it was last time you had a successful synch, which (in this case) set that particular contact to "send to voicemail."