Camcorder question

Last Updated:

1. side0ut

side0ut Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry if this has been asked before. Tried doing a search but after sifting through many pages, decide to put in a new topic. I was recording a video using the HTC camcorder. Why does the video save as a .3gp format even though I selected mp4 and 720p in settings? Did I do something wrong? Is it really 720p? Did not know that 3gp had the ability to do HD video.

Advertisement
  2. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

look in the "details" about the video file. you will see the stats on it. if you selected mp4 it should be that. likewise if you select h.263. yes the resolution is 1280X720 so that is HD resolution. you dont have the bit depth as you do with bigger imagers ... example, 720P out of, say, a RED ONE camera (RED / Cameras) at 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 is much more data than what comes out of this tiny mobile phones CMOS imager...

3. side0ut

So if I understand what you are saying.. I should be seeing .mp4 when I look at the details via Astro File manager? Mine says video___.3gp. Something is not adding up. Is there a different setting that I am missing?

4. marctronixx

on stock un rooted handsets, you can only have those settings in the camcorder interface. you are not doing anything wrong. this is how the evo is encoding the file. 3gp can also encode music as well, as can .mp3 encode video. its just a more efficient way to encode large files coming from a imager that can record at 720p/30 FPS. no need to worry... are you having an issue with playing the file on other players?

5. KingFatty

KingFatty Well-Known Member

.3GP is the container - it will store the video that is encoded as mp4. So you won't see an .MP4 extension for the file, even though it is encoded as mp4.

6. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Well-Known Member

As I understand it MPEG4 is superior in quality h.263, Correct?

7. side0ut

Have not tried to put it on a computer to play. Just was confused when I went to delete one and it said 3gp extension. Thanks.

8. marctronixx

h.263 is superior to mpeg4 yes but the computing power used to encode/decode h.263 is taxing for CPUs. even so, if you did side by side of a recorded video from this device in both modes you may not even see a huge increase in quality.

further, the fact that its contained in 3gp can make if difficult for SOME players to read and decode properly. id just stick with mpeg4...