• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Camera (and motion video) talk - the Ultrapixel and more (tips/discussion)

Does anyone get this colouring at the bottom of the picture?

It only happens in low light conditions and sometimes it's pink. Even in Night mode I get it.

Attachments

• IMAG0192.jpg
    IMAG0192.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 156
Upvote 0
what carrier are you folks on?

i use a sprint version and i have taken two big handfuls of photographs over the months, mostly in indoor situations and around iso 400 with no enhancements added, and in looking at a random selection (pinch zooming on the phone) i dont see any pink tint.

if you guys are international, are you on 4.2.2?

can you recreate this pink tint at any time? dies it happen virtually on any image you capture? does it happen on video?

anyone know if it is possible to change the format that the camera names files?

Any known fix for the "pink tint?"

sending a trouble ticket directly to HTC will ensure this "issue" gets to the right eyes. this is not an htc support forum and they do not read any issues or concerns about their devices here. :)

Upvote 0
Does anyone get this colouring at the bottom of the picture?

It only happens in low light conditions and sometimes it's pink. Even in Night mode I get it.

Yes, this is a huge problem with a large percentage of HTC One phones. If you take your hand and put it in front of the lens or put it face down on a table, the screen most likely will not be black. It will be either blue or pink. It kind of goes away at a low ISO setting like 100, but gets progressively worse as the ISO number goes up.

I read in a few places that HTC is aware of the issue and they say that it should be addressed in the 4.3 update.

Reactions: Menddles
Upvote 0
Yes, this is a huge problem with a large percentage of HTC One phones. If you take your hand and put it in front of the lens or put it face down on a table, the screen most likely will not be black. It will be either blue or pink. It kind of goes away at a low ISO setting like 100, but gets progressively worse as the ISO number goes up.

I read in a few places that HTC is aware of the issue and they say that it should be addressed in the 4.3 update.

Cheers dude.

Upvote 0
Out of the Blue today my HTC ONE camera started taking blurry images. Tried many different settings to no avail. Powered the camera on/off and did get relief, but now am very wary. Seemed like the camera was working very hard to focus. Anyone else having this issue? If so, any recommendations? Phone is 29 days old:(

My year+ old Evo 4G LTE did that for two days last week.

At first I thought I had the shakes or something - 10 second power button press to reset it, and it was fine.

Keep an eye on it for sure, if you don't see it again, you were in the same boat as me - one stuck bit in ram is all it takes and glitches happen.

Upvote 0
hmmmm...thanks. I set the camera back to default settings. Been taking a lot of different images, seems like something odd has definitely happened, does not seem nearly as crisp as it had been. Only impacting the main camera not the front facing one. <sigh>

Check the lens is clean and try the 10 second reset - you won't lose anything.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I still have to do some testing of it, but I think there might be something wrong with one of our phone's cameras in low light. My wife and I each bought a One. I got silver and she got black. We both have the same updates. We were at a wedding and both taking pictures. The reception was outside and it was starting to get dark. Her pictures were horribly grainy. Mine looked fairly good. As far as I can tell, both phones are using the same settings. If I set them both for night mode, it really didn't help her photos. The difference was quite noticeable. Daylight pictures on both phones look great, it is only low light pictures that she has a problem with. I haven't tried doing a factory reset.

Upvote 0
Hi all
Has anyone had experience with the HTC One camera, I thought they were meant to be ok.... I've tried all different settings and the pictures are rubbish!

We had a bush fire come through work camp last night and the pictures I took are crap! (Don't blame the photographer) There was no detail to the fire just a bright white glow. Even the ones when it was at a distance were rubbish. This was at night so maybe its just that this camera doesn't like low light. The other photos that I saw that were taken with iPhones look good.

Am I missing some set ups on the camera. It was set on auto exposure and night mode. Any idea's??

Thanks.
Dave

Upvote 0
A lot of it could just be shake - in low light the exposure is going to be so long you're likely to get quite a bit of movement. Basically, to shoot at night you really need a tripod (you might get away with setting the camera on a solid surface).

Movement would also most likely badly affect HDR so you might want to check that's turned off.

Unless there's some way of telling the camera where to take its light reading, any shot where the fire takes up a relatively small proportion of the frame - e.g. distance photos - is going to be tough as the light metre is almost certainly going to take its reading from a patch of dark. That means the fire will burn out (no pun intended) and just appear as white as the camera is taking in too much light.

These are photography issues rather than camera issues - i.e. you'd get 'em with pretty much any camera other than maybe a high end DSLR with mutli-point light metering and exceptionally good stabilisation.

Upvote 0
the imager on this phone is not a 2000 dollar DSLR, its a lens on a chip. you have very limited, basic control over the settings.

a lot of things on this device are automatic and the images does an average weighted balance of light (lumens) and averages the output.

you are shooting at night at potentially "bright spots" (fire) against black /dark/limited illuminated objects in the frame, so the imager does its best.

there is likely nothing wrong with the camera. the imager does not have the dynamic range your eyesight has, so what you see is vastly different from what the imager sees.

Aperture, f-stop, ISO are the things you have to manipulate to take the best images you can. if you increase/decrease one of those, you have to compensate with the other two, and so on and so forth.

Upvote 0
Blurry images were happening to my <30 day old phone (main camera). Took it to VZW store and they tried to resolve...no dice. They said it was a software issue and HTC was aware and were working on a fix (this was mid-September 2013). The store gave me a new phone but said it might happen again....and it did :(
Just noticed the same issue every once in a while on the new phone...which is less than 60 days old :thinking:
Only affects the regular camera, NOT the front facing one. Feeling very frustrated.

Upvote 0
HTC - One with Sprint.

About a month or two ago, first experienced this:
tapped camera app -> Black screen
After about 3 seconds, app closes.

The first few times this happened, resetting the phone and reopening the app allowed the camera to work.

Now, it just closes. Used to be able to hit the "rotate" camera to front facing one, but the app seems to be frozen before I am able to switch.

Here's what I've done:
Factory reset, updated to 4.4 "kit kat"
Tried camera - Still failed

Restored backup data
Camera still failed.

Gone to settings --> app --> camera --> force close, and clear data
Restart phone
Camera still failed.

I have downloaded a new camera app
Able to access front facing camera and take pictures
When I go to normal camera, app freezes, and says camera could not be access "restarting the device may fix this issue"

That's everything that I know of before going to the store and asking for a new/repair (been looking online for a week now)

I use my phone a lot, so I've been putting off taking it to a technician.

Anyone know of other possible work around / firmware updates that may reset this camera issue? Anyway to access it from my PC and see if the camera is connecting? Or other debug/troubleshooting techniques?

Don't want to go through the hassle of getting it fixed / replaced

Thanks,
Blee

Upvote 0
In recent weeks, I have been recording a few short movies with my HTC One and while looking at the videos on my PC, I noticed that the frame rate is variable. I initially thought that the video was shot at 30fps but the frame rates are all over the place. For example, in one video the minimum frame rate is 17.004 fps and maximum frame rate is 29.791 fps, as measured by MediaInfo. However, each video's frame rates differ slightly. Additionally, the front facing camera records very choppy video. The frame rates are around 6 fps. Is this normal?

I am curious to know why the frame rates are variable and if there is any way to get a fixed frame rate locked in. Do all video-capable smartphones have this variable frame rate feature? This is my first smartphone so please forgive me if I sound amateurish.

Before I forget, I have also been taking some photos in varying light conditions, day and night, and the f-stop on all photos seems to be f/2, without exception. I found that strange as well.

Thank you for the help.

Upvote 0
first off, its hard to know if there is anything wrong with your device.

are you rooted? and what carrier? do you have the kitkat update or no?

ASSuming your phone is working properly, the camera on the device will adjust frame rates based on the images its capturing. if you are shooting in low light, the device will reduce frame rates and adjust its ISO sensitivity to give you "more light" at the cost of reduced frames.

this is normal and one of the many compromises to having a camera on a phone.

depending on your camera settings (ISO,using any effects, etc. etc.), your frame rates and other variable will be all over the place.

dont expect the quality of a DSLR or dedicated camcorder on this device. smoking over this thread will lend some other data also.

Upvote 0
first off, its hard to know if there is anything wrong with your device.

are you rooted? and what carrier? do you have the kitkat update or no?

ASSuming your phone is working properly, the camera on the device will adjust frame rates based on the images its capturing. if you are shooting in low light, the device will reduce frame rates and adjust its ISO sensitivity to give you "more light" at the cost of reduced frames.

this is normal and one of the many compromises to having a camera on a phone.

depending on your camera settings (ISO,using any effects, etc. etc.), your frame rates and other variable will be all over the place.

dont expect the quality of a DSLR or dedicated camcorder on this device. smoking over this thread will lend some other data also.
I don't think there is anything wrong with my device and it is not rooted. I have the latest update (4.4.2). I think that what is happening, is exactly what you described: the camera adjusting the frame rates according to the light conditions. The issue for me, is that if the frame rates go too low, movement will appear choppy. I've already had minimum frame rates in the teens.

What I would like to know is if all smartphone cameras do this variable frame rate. Are there any smartphone cameras that can record at a fixed frame rate (ie 30fps), like a dedicated, more expensive camcorder? I've read that the LG G2 records at 30fps but I don't have that phone so I don't know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones