• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Camera app for taking pictures faster?

cmotion

Jan 24, 2010
I've never had a huge problem with the Eris' stock camera app- I've heard about apps that are more flexible, take better pics (supposedly), and have different effects you can use, but has anyone found an app that is more responsive? I usually snap shots of scenery or people posing, but this christmas while trying to take pictures of my 15 month-old nephew it became apparent how much of a delay there is from the time I push in the trackball to the time the picture is actually taken. I'm assuming it's a hardware issue with the eris itself, but just thought I'd ask.

The camera app Vignette has what they call a 'fastshot' setting. It doesn't actually save the pictures any faster (in fact it could be slower) but it returns you to the camera much faster, while it saves the pictures to SD card in the background. You just have to be careful not to turn off the camera until it's done saving all the pictures you've taken.

Reactions: cmotion
Upvote 0
Thanks mhotovec, I have heard good things about Vignette and may have to give that a try. So it brings you back to the camera faster, which is great, but does it help with any of the delay from the time you hit the trackball to the time the pic is actually taken? This may just be a case of it being really difficult to hit the button and have the camera get the photo before the subject moves on a camera phone in general, if not specifically for the Eris.

Upvote 0
One of the main things I like about Vignette is that it has an option to take the picture by pressing the screen, rather than the trackball. For ME pressing the trackball to take a picture is unhandy, and it invariably causes me to shake the camera.
There is about a 1 second delay while it focuses before taking the picture, I don't find that to be a problem, others may have different opinions about what is 'fast enough'.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones