• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Camera, Camera, Camera

Looks like this is the right crowd for my question! Basic stupidity, really. Did a nice video, and held it dideways, so now video is 90 deg. off. What programs do you experts (and I mean that literally) prefer to: rotate .3gp files, and: rip DVD's to compatible format/size for our Droids. Thx!

(And IMHO, the outdoor video and pics are awesome - interior shots suck a$$!!!)
If you're on a Mac, then IMovie will do a good job to rotate your video. On the PC, I really have no idea but I am sure there are tons of programs out there that can do that for you.

As for video encoding, use HANDBRAKE (handbrake.fr). It's free and supports multiple cores (read: it's fast) and does a great job encoding. Install that together with VLC and you can rip your movies right off your DVD. I use the Iphone preset right now and it looks great.

If you have a PC and an NVIDIA card you can also use BADABOOM for some insanely fast encoding. Although as far as I remember Badaboom does not work with copy protected DVD's. you would have to rip them first.

Upvote 0
The TV Set

100 Hertz provides a solution to the problem of area flicker, which is noticeable in 50 Hz televisions. As we saw earlier in this chapter, in 50 Hz TVs, the image is scanned 50 times per second - a frequency which is still detectable by the human eye in the form of a flickering picture. Every 1/25 of a second (every 40 milliseconds), one complete image is created. First a half image of all the odd lines in 1/50 second (20 milliseconds), then a half image of all the even lines in 1/50 second (20 milliseconds). (To simplify, we name the odd line image frame A and the even line image frame B). Even though this appears to be fast, one frame in 20 milliseconds is slow enough for the phosphors to fade to black before the next frame is sent to the screen. Due to the fading of the phosphors, we perceive area flicker. It becomes especially visible in bright areas of the image.
In 100 Hertz sets, the frames are scanned at a rate of 100 times per second, which is twice as often. To be able to double the number of image frames, 100 Hz televisions use a digital memory. The digital memory converts all incoming video signals from analog to digital. It stores every new frame for a split second, so that it can be written a second time (from memory) to the screen. After that, the digital signal is converted back to analog and sent to the screen twice as fast.
The A frame is sent to the screen twice within 20 milliseconds and then the B frame twice in 20 milliseconds. The doubling of the frames is refreshing the phosphors twice as often (every 10 milliseconds), which is so fast that the fading is not noticeable to the human eye.

As I have said many many many many times already... hz is NOT linked to FPS.

Upvote 0
The TV Set
As I have said many many many many times already... hz is NOT linked to FPS.
Well your quote exactly confirms what I have written before:

In 100 Hertz sets, the frames are scanned at a rate of 100 times per second, which is twice as often. To be able to double the number of image frames, 100 Hz televisions use a digital memory.

The link you provided states that Hz is related to refresh rates on a CRT but on an LCD for example it is not as the signal is processed digitally. Your link exactly confirms what I have just said earlier.

I have never argued with you about FPS vs Hz. Although if your display operates at 50hz for example, any frame rate higher than 50 is dropped. never makes it onto the display. If your display operates at 120 hz for example, then usually those are frame buffered 60 hz. so anything above 60fps doesn't make it onto the screen either.

This is however all theoretical as the initial question was whether the picture quality on the video recorded by the droid would improve if frame rate could be increased from 24p to 60p or even 30p for example. Picture quality would certainly increase on fast pans or fast moving objects as each second is sliced into more parts (that's a very simplified description and if the codec works perfectly, picture quality WOULD NOT increase), however, a higher data rate on the video codec might just do the trick as well (which will create bigger files you could then shrink in post processing - always keep in mind that at a certain given data rate, there is only so much information you can fit in and if more information changes from one to another picture than you have space available, then you lose that information and the picture looks jiggy or you see compression artifacts). However looking at the OMAP specs for our droid, the processor is capable of: "encode/decode at D1 (720x480 pixels) 30 fps, so assuming the camera module allows for that and the memory is fast enough, then 30p is theoretically possible. I was not able to see any specs about data rate on the datasheet (can be found on the TI website).

Maybe motorola ran into some bottlenecks when they developed this thing and it was too expensive to fix that during production so they opted for 24p to have a better experience. Or they just took standard android software that is not yet fully optimized for their architecture so that is all they were able to get given the time constraints. Either way. Theoretically 30p should be possible if there is no hardware bottleneck but simply increasing the data rate might give us better video.

Upvote 0
Most TVs with 120+ Hz framerates can only take 60Hz inputs and insert frames in between the real ones to make it look smoother. Vsync is usually maxed at 60Hz as most TVs only truly decode video at 60Hz or lower. Vsync matches each rendered frame with one refresh cycle of the monitor or TV so you don't get the top of one frame and the bottom of the other on the screen at the same time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones