camera clicking noise? normal?

Last Updated:

1. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

just wondering if this is normal or not, someone told me it is normal for the droid...

for instance - when your on the home screen and you hold the camera button down, it'll make about 3-clicks when starting up. it also makes the clicking noise when it is focusing before taking the photo..

the most noticable is when using an app like shopsavvy or barcode scanner... are these apps supposed to be focusing back and forth non stop? and if so, is it 'normal' for that clicking noise to go non-stop while it is focusing back and forth?

thanks guys.

Advertisement
  2. hopla

hopla Active Member

Unfortunately yes thats normal. Well, for me it is anyways

3. kraze0g

ah.. well at least its not just me :x have u used a barcode app? is it supposed to constantly be moving forward and backward to focus or whatever? thats when its non-stop...

4. mully

mully Well-Known Member

It's normal. It's the autofocus lens moving.

5. kraze0g

ah k :) thanks for the quick replies.

6. mully

mully Well-Known Member

Not sure why yours is doing it constantly in barcode scanner. That app is working fine for me.

7. kraze0g

well it does it in barcode scanner and shopsavvy... it appears that the camera is constantly 'zooming' in and out as if its trying to focus non-stop or something, which is causing the clicking to be non-stop as well...

anyone else have this problem?? if i could stop the program from constantly zooming in and out it would stop clicking.

8. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Hold your hand more still. I find that if I don't hold still, or if there is a nasty reflection, the camera has a tough time getting the barcode.

But that's normal, it's just trying to focus. Just learn to work with it.

[​IMG]

9. kraze0g

hmm.. so your barcode app does the same thing where it zooms in and out non stop making the clicking noise non-stop until it actually recognizes the barcode? - i could hold my hand perfectly still or do anything and it'll just keep going inward and outward making the clicking non stop which is quite annoying..

10. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

thats just the robot, doing robot shit that has to be done in order to take the picture.

Remember, not beauty queen, robot. they are made of metal and thus noisy.

11. kraze0g

hmm.. i dont think i understand?
    someone just posted above that their barcode scanner apps don't do it non-stop.. mine does..

12. SinfulDragon

your robot is more active than his is?

with the barcode scanner mine doesn't make any noise. I hold the phone pretty close to the screen though so it doesn't have to zoom or anything (just tested this with the barcode posted, apparently I'm doing it right since I can read it LOL)

13. nekoki

nekoki Well-Known Member

My Droid camera was very noisy. The Eris is definitely quieter so the Droid camera would seem really noisy to you coming from the Eris. Is the date bug still in play with the Droid? When it was a bad focus cycle, it did what you described with the barcode apps. When it was a good focus cycle, it did not.

14. kraze0g

hmm.. not sure what the date bug is but it's just with these barcode apps.. they do get the barcode fine but it sounds awfully painful in the process since its 'creaking/clicking' non-stop like as if it wants to keep trying to focus no matter how steady i hold the phone or how close i am to the barcode...

15. SinfulDragon

might be time to take it back to the store and try out another one

16. kraze0g

looks like we're going for droid #3 if no one else has this issue with the barcode app ;\ it sounds awful, click-click-click-click-click non stop... like a creaking door opening and closing..

17. GorillaTheHutt

GorillaTheHutt Well-Known Member

mine does that same thing...i'm not concerned about it, though.

18. kraze0g

yours clicks non stop when your in the barcode apps?
    anyone else?

19. GorillaTheHutt

GorillaTheHutt Well-Known Member

well, it clicks as it keeps adjusting the focus. once it finds the barcode it stops clicking. the clicking noise is just the autofocus adjusting...

20. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Does it sound like this? If that's what you're hearing it's just the camera focusing.

21. kraze0g

thats the noise! and it doesn't ever stop! how come ours does it and some people's just stop or doesn't do it at all.

in the mp3, you can hear the series of clicking noises, then stop, then repeat over and over... even after finding a barcode... sounds like a creaking door being open and closed.. from what i was told it's not supposed to do this? it's supposed to stop focusing and remain steady and not keep doing it...

can someone else tell me if this is 'normal' ?

thx - i sttill think im gonna return it to the store if we're the ones having the problem and not others.

22. neemo6

neemo6 Well-Known Member

Mine does the exact same thing, got rid of barcode scanner because thought it wasn't working. Its very annoying.

23. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

It's just the camera trying to focus. When I made the recording I had the camera pressed up to my macbook's camera, cause that's where the mic is. If it kept doing that while taking a picture with the camera app, that's when I'd worry about it. It should just do a few click-click's when it's focusing then stop. I think that's just the way the barcode app works, once it focuses on the code it stops trying and takes the picture.