• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Camera Failed" / Force Close Issue?

iskortch

Jul 28, 2010
Has anyone else had an issue with the camera force closing?

When I launch the camera, an immediate message appears "Camera Failed."

Other times, it opens, the screen is black and finally I will get the message: "Sorry! The application Camera (process.com.sec.android.app.camera) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

If I remove the battery and reboot the phone, the camera will work for a short time. It will revert back to the errors eventually.

I also noticed my battery life tanking unusually faster than normal since this began.

Have you installed any camera related apps from the marketplace?

I have not.

I *think* I may have found the problem... I removed the SD card. I think there may have been a corrupt file on the card which effected the camera.

Since removing the SD card, the camera has worked fine. Its only been 10 hours, but I will keep an update.

From searching forums, looks like the Galaxy S and S2 have sporadic camera issues... ranging from a number of reasons. Some claim its a hardware issue, some claim its an app conflict, some claim a factory reset fixes... finally I found a forum which discussed the SD card and that worked for me.

Upvote 0
I recently moved the storage of the camera files from the internal to the external card and noticed no difference. I wouldn't say that all the snobs bragging about their class 10 cards (I use very fast CF cards in my Canon 7D and class 10 cards, overkill, in the Tascam 4-track audio recorder I use for video production) are on point, but a class 2 is probably insufficient. I would at least use a class 6 card in the phone.

Upvote 0
I had the exact same thing happen. I realized it was a flashlight Ap that I had downloaded. I took that off and the camera has worked fine. (The flashlight program uses the camera flash)

I had a flashlight app that I uninstalled after i read this comment.
How long as it been since you uninstalled the flashlight app and your camera has been functioning properly??

Upvote 0
My Galaxy S2 Skyrocket front camera always showed “Camera Failed” since i got the phone. With the Jelly Bean update when I tried the front camera it says “Camera Failed.” I use to just close and re-open the camera app but now it seems to remember my setting to open my front camera – thus says camera failed. I went to applications --> all applications –> camera –> force stop –> clear all data. It then forgot it was on front camera mode and works again.

Upvote 0
Has anyone else had an issue with the camera force closing?

When I launch the camera, an immediate message appears "Camera Failed."

Other times, it opens, the screen is black and finally I will get the message: "Sorry! The application Camera (process.com.sec.android.app.camera) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

If I remove the battery and reboot the phone, the camera will work for a short time. It will revert back to the errors eventually.

I also noticed my battery life tanking unusually faster than normal since this began.
Uninstall the other apps which needs camera, If u have installed any. And then restart the device. Restart is needed because some apps don't release the camera resource even after uninstalling them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones