• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Camera Fixed..!

Concerned that your camera now works... Relax.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Wow, I hate to come off as rude, but users like you are what gives "users" a bad name. Flowah is the only person I have seen in this thread, or most of the Internet that is discussing this update that has even addressed the problems associated with a service provider or manufacturer an update without alerting the users. It would be a stretch to think that anything malicious was included in this update, but look back to this past summer at the damage that was done to Etisalat in the UAE. They pushed out an update that was supposed to address significant network latency issues. Turns out they teamed up with an American company that specializes in mobile spyware and included the ability to remotely enable email monitoring on all of their BlackBerry users.

Wake up people, your personal information is all over these devices. Quit allowing people to just walk into your bedroom at night and take whatever they want...

Mind numbing..

Upvote 0
Probably should have read the TOS before buying the phone.

It means something to me. It means stop complaining. If there were any negative ramifications... go ahead and complain.
TOS TOS. Companies often put things in the TOS that in court are found to be totally unenforceable. Either way, if you're selling the phone and marketing it as "open" and under control of the consumer, then silent forced updates are not consistent with that. Also, where in the TOS does it say I cannot disagree with their policies? You're one of those apologists for products you are a fan of. Every excuse out of your mouth is "Then don't buy it" "TOS" "They are a business". If people didn't complain, Verizon would still be handcuffing their phones and we wouldn't have the Droid.

I suppose you are one of those people who would be okay with people doing illegal things as long as there are no negative ramifications, even if they lead to a dangerous place.

Redflea: http://www.howardforums.com/showpost.php?p=13239557&postcount=112
The focusing has DEFINITELY, improved and so has the picture quality. There is no doubt about it. I did my own test as well. If yours is still having problems, I think the weight of anecdotal evidence is saying that you have a problem specific to you, no longer to the phone. Get it replaced/checked out.

Upvote 0
BTW, I actually called Verizon to discuss the update. The tier 1 rep had no knowledge of an OTA update so they passed me to their technical team who had no knowledge either. The technical team guy then called Motorola who would neither confirm or deny that an update was pushed or what else was included in the update..or why they didn't alert the users that an update was occurring.

I totally get the marketing aspect of this update. Look at all of the buzz it's created. "Motorola is so great, they fixed my camera almost a month before they said they would...wow, I'm so happy...yippee...woohoo".

But..at what cost? What else was in the update? Was there spyware? Did they fix problem that would allow users to gain root? Imagine the possibilities...

Upvote 0
Probably should have read the TOS before buying the phone.

It means something to me. It means stop complaining. If there were any negative ramifications... go ahead and complain.

How is anyone supposed to know if anything bad was included in the update when they don't tell us what in it? I dare you to find one person out there that even knows what was pushed down to their phone last night, with the exception of the autofocus working now. Doesn't that bother you??? I'm not even a Droid user, I'm on the myTouch and I love it. Much sexier than the clunky looking Droid. But, the outrage is genuine. This is a dangerously slippery slope people.

I guess users like you guarantee me job security...and I'm ok with that.

Upvote 0
For God sakes people, calm down. Not everything is a conspiracy. Should they have informed people that they were pushing an update? Perhaps. Did someone slip up and send it out and is now finding a pink slip on his desk? Perhaps. I find it hilarious that so many people are up in arms about this after buying a Google phone. Hello! Google! They already know everything about you. Now THAT, is mind numbing.

Upvote 0
OMG! Get the foil out....

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Upvote 0
For God sakes people, calm down. Not everything is a conspiracy. Should they have informed people that they were pushing an update? Perhaps. Did someone slip up and send it out and is now finding a pink slip on his desk? Perhaps. I find it hilarious that so many people are up in arms about this after buying a Google phone. Hello! Google! They already know everything about you. Now THAT, is mind numbing.

Hahahaha... totally agree.

And dont worry, its actually just one guy using multiple accounts to express his dislike.

Upvote 0
Wishes that Flowah/myAndroid/Virtus would stop making seperate accounts to flame... just use one hahaha.

Tools. Amazing. Head in the sand, nothing to see here. Nothing going on. Then crap, man, I wish I had payed attention months ago when a few sane voices were screaming at the top of their lungs. Slipper slope people...it's all around us and we're sliding fast...

Upvote 0
Hahahaha... totally agree.

And dont worry, its actually just one guy using multiple accounts to express his dislike.

Pretty typical of uninformed, uneducated people. Can't address the issue, so you need to attack. As a matter of fact, I just created this account because I didn't have one before and never saw a need to post in here, until today. But, you'll believe what you'll believe. 99% of the people in here don't have the slightest idea what is going on under their handset anyway. Just take your automagically fixed auto-focused pictures. I'll keep doing the work I've been doing for the last 12 years and tracking down/researching and protecting fools from malware and other threats. Every time you click on the dancing bear, just hope that the signatures I've created for the mobile security product you (hopefully) installed have been updated.

Upvote 0
While I'm glad my camera works now and I can actually scan bar codes, I've got to agree with the camp that doesn't like silent updates on any device I own. Forget the possibility of something nefarious being installed, I can't wait to see all the flame threads that pop up when the next silent update bricks people's phones. Speaking for myself, I always review the change log of any update before I apply it to any of my devices (of which there are many).

Upvote 0
I don't know what Android is complaining about. I just want control. I'm not alleging any conspiracy. I urge any mod to do an IP check on me and myAndroid to show DoYouDroid that he's a moron for thinking we're the same person.

Besides, it's not like companies haven't done this before. Don't you remember Sony and rootkitting?

I can't believe the number of people who think that my wanting to have control over what updates I receive means I am a conspiracy theorist. Ohnoezzz, I want control over the device I bought. TINFOIIIIIIIL.

Upvote 0
I don't know what Android is complaining about. I just want control. I'm not alleging any conspiracy. I urge any mod to do an IP check on me and myAndroid to show DoYouDroid that he's a moron for thinking we're the same person.

Besides, it's not like companies haven't done this before. Don't you remember Sony and rootkitting?

I can't believe the number of people who think that my wanting to have control over what updates I receive means I am a conspiracy theorist. Ohnoezzz, I want control over the device I bought. TINFOIIIIIIIL.
i would definitely like to see logs of updates on my phone afterward. just to know what had been updated.

Upvote 0

I'm complaining about the fact that if one of these unannounced updates happens that does include something that the community doesn't like or does brick the device, the community will have no ground to stand on when they get all up in arms because they rolled over and took every successful update before the bad one. If you change the policy after the first one, there will be oversight and accountability. That's all I'm saying. Well, that and that its very disturbing that people are still considering these devices to be simple phones..not computers in your pocket..in which most people store all manner of personal private information that attackers are dying to get their hands on.

Upvote 0
Pretty typical of uninformed, uneducated people. Can't address the issue, so you need to attack. As a matter of fact, I just created this account because I didn't have one before and never saw a need to post in here, until today. But, you'll believe what you'll believe. 99% of the people in here don't have the slightest idea what is going on under their handset anyway. Just take your automagically fixed auto-focused pictures. I'll keep doing the work I've been doing for the last 12 years and tracking down/researching and protecting fools from malware and other threats. Every time you click on the dancing bear, just hope that the signatures I've created for the mobile security product you (hopefully) installed have been updated.

Uneducated?... I have my masters from Boston College.

Uninformed?... I have worked for Verizon (Previously Bell Atlantic, Nynex, New England Telephone... etc etc) for 30 years... in the wireless division for 6. I am the definition of informed :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones