• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Camera Fixed..!

Over the air updates are cool, as long as you know they are happening. Though no one has actually confirmed it was an update. It would be nice to see the update in the market app and then hit an update button than to have it just happen. Some of us have seen bad software updates pushed for software vendors. Would suck to have an update kill your phone over night.

Upvote 0
Uneducated?... I have my masters from Boston College.

Uninformed?... I have worked for Verizon (Previously Bell Atlantic, Nynex, New England Telephone... etc etc) for 30 years... in the wireless division for 6. I am the definition of informed :)

Wow, Masters from B.C., 30 years in wireless...that's pretty impressive. And you still have no problem with Motorola pushing updates to the device you purchased without telling you about it either before OR after..with some sort of log that tells you what they changed in the device that you paid for? I guess there's not much else to say about it. I guess we look at education and information differently. I never went to college. I got to where I am and what I do the hard way. I guess there's just a distinct difference between infosec professionals and smart guys...

Upvote 0
A silent update might explain why my phone was on but unresponsive this morning. I had to pull the battery. This is the first time this has happened this I got the phone on Nov 6th. The phone was connected to Wifi and not to 3G if that matters

The camera seems much better now. Silent update=SUCCESS!

My phone also was off this morning and I couldn't wake it. Had to battery pull and it took awhile to come up but it did and seems to be running great. Seems others have had the same problem so must be related to the push.

I understand the wants to be informed of a push. I get it. But to veer off into some conspiracy realm is a reach. I'm sure Motorola knows what a complete PR nightmare it would have on it's hands if it indeed did slip in some spyware or other nefarious tracking stuff and it got caught later. The company is teetering as it is and that would probably send it off the cliff.

Upvote 0
Uneducated?... I have my masters from Boston College.

Uninformed?... I have worked for Verizon (Previously Bell Atlantic, Nynex, New England Telephone... etc etc) for 30 years... in the wireless division for 6. I am the definition of informed :)
And I'm Stephen xxxxxxx Hawking.

Do you think your internet credentials impress anyone? That just shows what a xxxxxx 12 year old you are. Congratulations.

Upvote 0
Wow, Masters from B.C., 30 years in wireless...that's pretty impressive. And you still have no problem with Motorola pushing updates to the device you purchased without telling you about it either before OR after..with some sort of log that tells you what they changed in the device that you paid for? I guess there's not much else to say about it. I guess we look at education and information differently. I never went to college. I got to where I am and what I do the hard way. I guess there's just a distinct difference between infosec professionals and smart guys...

30 years in wireless!? Incorrect.

Since you don't have an education, I won't blame you for your poor reading comprehension.

Upvote 0
i think the update (i guess it's more or less confirmed now sorta?) is awesome, but i understand myandroid's concerns.

i'm a control freak when it comes to my computer, and same with my droid. that's part of the reason i got the droid, as it is pretty customizable. so i'd prefer a notification before an update is installed. plus it would just be nice to have a changelog so that we don't have to guess what has been fixed.

also, there's always the chance that an update will screw things up even more, as is sometimes the case with MS updates. so it would be cool if we could choose to wait and see before installing, especially for business-types for whom their phone is mission critical.

Upvote 0
I really do think there should have been a notice about the update as well as it having it require the user to click that it is ok to install.

While not exactly the same thing it does remind me of the whole Kindle issue and we all know how well that went over with users

myAndroid, I think you are wrong about most of users not caring about not getting a notice and an option to install. I believe most people think that we should be notified and given the option not to install. A few people including myself stated earlier in this very thread that we would have liked to know there was an update and what changes it made.

It's just that most people are just happy their camera is working better and they may not even realize the phone has been updated. I don't think we will see the kind of discussion you want in mass until after they push an update that angers people, which of course will be too late. Will they do an update like that, I would like to think not but then I remember the Kindle again...

Upvote 0
You do know there was wireless technology before there were cell phones...

and if we're throwing around credentials...CISSP, CEH, CCDP, OPST to name a few...I've been dealing with IH/IR, forensics and pen testing for 12 years as a Marine and a civilian. I recently moved into the mobile security space, where the threat is migrating, if not already here. I have professional and personal motives for my concerns. Raising awareness is the responsibility of infosec professionals. More times than not to protect users from themselves....

Upvote 0
and if we're throwing around credentials...CISSP, CEH, CCDP, OPST to name a few...I've been dealing with IH/IR, forensics and pen testing for 12 years as a Marine and a civilian. I recently moved into the mobile security space, where the threat is migrating, if not already here. I have professional and personal motives for my concerns. Raising awareness is the responsibility of infosec professionals. More times than not to protect users from themselves....

Ooh Rah!

5012 83-87 :)

Upvote 0

And I have a Ph.D. which is totally irrelevant to the discussion.

You can provide information without being rude or condescending. Simply express the point that secret updates may provide a security breach and you'd find a lot more people agreeing with you than if you show up and call people uninformed and uneducated and act as if we're all drinking some kind of kool aid. For all your credentials, undoubtedly the people who want my data will be one step ahead of you. No need to act pompous or condescending.

Upvote 0
Geez you people are ridiculous. Here's something for the people whining still..

tiny-violin1.jpg

Upvote 0
Google's Dan Morrill @ Nov 17th 2009 11:26AM
Yes, this is exactly what is happening.

There's a rounding-error bug in the camera driver's autofocus routine (which uses a timestamp) that causes autofocus to behave poorly on a 24.5-day cycle. That is, it'll work for 24.5 days, then have poor performance for 24.5 days, then work again.

The 17th is the start of a new "works correctly" cycle, so the devices will be fine for a while. A permanent fix is in the works.

Upvote 0
I was wondering if someone could by chance post some before and after pics so those of us without a Moto Droid could see the differences. All anyone has posted before on any blogs or such are the "bad" pics, I would like to see some "good" ones.

The best would be a "good" pic of the same thing that you took that was "bad".

Please?

Upvote 0
Google's Dan Morrill @ Nov 17th 2009 11:26AM
Yes, this is exactly what is happening.

There's a rounding-error bug in the camera driver's autofocus routine (which uses a timestamp) that causes autofocus to behave poorly on a 24.5-day cycle. That is, it'll work for 24.5 days, then have poor performance for 24.5 days, then work again.

The 17th is the start of a new "works correctly" cycle, so the devices will be fine for a while. A permanent fix is in the works.

Do you know how it determines the what 24.5 days are good since some people had it working before and others didn't. I would think everyone would have the same problem on the same days or at least in relation to when the phone was first powered on.

Edit: I know it says the 17th but some people didn't have the problem before while others did.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones