Camera Flash not working?Support

Last Updated:

1. gamorg02

gamorg02 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

Here's a new one. I had started talking about this in the moment update thread but didn't want to hijack it.

So i noticed at some point after the upgrade to CL14 (done via sprint) that my flash on the camera isn't working. This could have been happening before the upgrade but i doubt it.

Anyways so the camera doesn't light up the flash. I saw it light up the flash once since I started troubleshooting but thats about it. I switched back and forth between flash on/off a dozen times or so.

Downloaded momentflash. Low and behold i started the app and it worked! Then i tried turning the flash on again and no luck. So i uninstalled, rebooted phone over and over again, no luck. I then did some reading and realized there was a widget. Put that on the desktop and again the FIRST time i ran the widget the flash worked. then it stopped again. I haven't been able to light it up since then.

I haven't been able to do much troubleshooting when it does work, but it doesn't seem hardware related. it stays on until i hit off, but i didn't get a chance to wiggle it around to see if contacts needed cleaing, etc...

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas? I don't think its any apps i have installed as i have pretty standard ones and had those on when it was working ( i believe at least).

i also tried killing all my running apps to see if any were causing conflict, then restarting momentflash and it still wouldn't light it up...

any help would be great, I don't really know what else to try. Looked at the android logs and nothing jumped out as having an issue.

I could probably try hard resetting but don't want to restore the phone again if i don't have to.

Advertisement
  2. Fadman37

Fadman37 Member

They Flash on my phone quit working too shortly after the update. Still haven't been able to figure something out about it. I tried using momentflash and flash through camera

3. gamorg02

fadman. i've had it work a few random times, but each time it doesn't seem like a HW issue b/c i can tap i tand whatnot and nothing happens until i hit off. momentflash worked for me early this AM and then thats it. had it work ONCE on the camcorder last night and nothing since. what apps do you have installed? this is the list from 'my downloads' from the market.

momentflash
    mybackup pro
    advanced task killer
    craigsnotifica
    unit converter
    weather channel
    battery widget
    log collector
    quick settings
    wikimobile
    mobile banking - bank of america
    pkt auctions ebay
    ringtones
    ringdroid
    gentle alarm
    quick alarm
    spare parts
    wifi onOff

i also have bluetooth on/off but not sure where i got it from, probably mybackup pro.

4. Fadman37

Fadman37 Member

Hey sorry for the long wait. But i did what you did and tried the flash with the video and it worked. So now i know it's not an led problem. I will post a list tomorrow about what apps i have

thanks for the help

5. Fadman37

Fadman37 Member

I'm also having problems in the market place. I pretty much cna't download any apps at all. it gets stuck on starting download.....

6. gamorg02

hmm. ok so update on mine. the flash now works fine, perfectly every time. only thing i did was run the battery to the point where its outlined RED and has the line thru it? only thing i can think is there is like a flag that says under 5% you can't turn the flash on and it got stuck there and running it to that point again allowed it to reset.

I also switched batteries so it could have been the battery removal, but i'm not sure if i had tried that before or not.

hmm as far as the marketplace i dunno. i assume u've tried restarting the phone?

7. Fadman37

Fadman37 Member

hey sorry for the long wait. But here is a list of apps that i have

Advanced Task Manager Free (1.6.1)
    Air Control (1.03)
    AndExplorer (1.3)
    Androlib Wallpapers (1.0.10)
    App Dragon (1.22)
    Barcode Scanner (3.1)
    Battery Widget (1.5.2)
    BatteryLife (1.3.3)
    Bebbled (2.11)
    Bonsai Blast (1.2)
    CNN News (1.0.0.4)
    CalWidget (0.1.37)
    Cestos (1.34)
    Countdown Alarm (1.0.9)
    Documents To Go (2.003)
    EasyMoney (1.2.15)
    Facebook (1.1.2)
    GPS Status (3.0.3)
    GPSTest (1.1.0)
    Grooveshark (0.9.2)
    Handcent Sms (2.9.30)
    Key Ring (1.3.5)
    Lightning Bug (1.0.12b)
    Mobile Defense (1.2.5)
    My Tracks (1.0.10)
    Pandora (1.1.2)
    PdaNet (1.1.0)
    SMS Backup (1.1.1)
    SMS Backup & Restore (1.7)
    Shazam (1.3)
    ShopSavvy (3.6.1)
    Signal Generator (1.0.2)
    Spare Parts (donut)
    Speed Test (1.6.1)
    SpoofApp (2.0.1)
    Tap Money Tracker (1.3.18)
    Touch Input (null)
    WaveSecure Beta (3.0.0.46)
    Where's My Droid (2.5.2)
    kor.im Phone Locator (1.3.3)

I've tried everything. still can't get it to work.Thanks

8. gamorg02

you've tried running ur battery to the 1%/3% level ? and a batter out hard reset?

i don't know if any of those apps mess with the camera functionality. momentflash also doesn't work?

9. Fadman37

Fadman37 Member

just wanted to let you know that that i did a hard reset and the flash still didn't work. it actually took one picture with flash and then it stopped. i also tried using moment flash again and same issue. But i went into sprint on friday and they said to try a hard reset and if that didn't work they'd order a new one for me. hopefully they keep their word

but thanks for the help

10. gamorg02

very weird. u tried running the battery down too?

11. gamorg02

ok so very weird issue, my phone just started doing this again! ****ing weird... any other thoughts?

since i know it was working only installed advanced task killer, tried uninstalling and a full battery out reboot. going to try running it until it dies again.

12. beezy

beezy Active Member

I'm getting the same problem. I droped it once a few weeks back so I thought maybe it was that. I have the momentflash app and bumped it and and it came on. I've tried it beforr and it didn't work. And now its not working again. I've tried draining the battery and pulling it with no luck.

13. gamorg02

i wish we could get root level logs to find out what it is. i think its definitely software

14. gamorg02

ugh this is wicked annoying. anyone have any other ideas on what we could check? please?